The picture in ME tile is now low res

uktivo

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi all.

I've updated my "me" tile recently with a new photo of myself. When I posted it to the tile, the photo appeared just fine, now after several mins, the picture looks like it has lost resolution. Is this normal?

doctordowling

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I noticed the same thing. In fact some of my contact pictures (all of which are pulled from FB) are low res while others look just fine. Compared them to the quaility of the pics on people's FB profile and there seems to be no correlation. Pretty much any profile pic from FB would be high enough res to fill a small 128x128 (I made that up, but I know its small) square in the contact list.

uktivo

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I had that happen with the one it pulled from my MS profile. I changed it on my phone and has stayed hi-res.

i did update it on the phone with a picture on my phone. As i said, at first the picture was high res, now, not so. I assume it loads the tile picture to your live account online, then it reads the profile off the online account and thus pulls a reduced resolution photo for some reason..

uktivo

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Update. If you use a picture that is stored on your handset, then the me tile remains high res. If you remove the picture from your handset the tile becomes low res.

uktivo

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Update. If you use a picture that is stored on your handset, then the me tile remains high res. If you remove the picture from your handset the tile becomes low res.

Ok scrub that.. It makes no difference to the image quality. Strange issue, what's the point of an all singing all dancing super sharp display when the os degrades pictures on purpose..

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
it was linked to my win8 pc screen pic. i noticed this after i upgraded my pc to win8. so if you update the pic on your PC to full res thumbs, it will correct the WP8 tile as well. worked for me.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
same issue with me too... MS better fix this quick.

Better call up Balmer and tell him that if he doesn't fix it yesterday you will get all chuffed and throw your lunchbox at him.

KirkTantrum.gif

SoundsAndSwords

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem. I wanted to make the Me tile larger but it looks terrible at that size and ruins the overall look of the phone. It's hard to show off your phone with a big pixilated picture of yourself right on the home screen. I hope they fix this problem.

vingengo

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
The ME tile is still showing in LOW resolution. All the other tiles with pictures I pulled from my phone album are ok.

Why would there be a difference? Strange....

dipayanster

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
dont know will work on 8 or not but i seen on 7.8 that adding same picture in live and fb and then syncing both gives low resolution picture in me tile. but if i go to live and remove profile picture and then resynch both fb and live i get my crisp me tile back.

reloaded17

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here. Very frustrating. Every other tile remains high red but the me tile. It starts out hi red and then degrades some time later. Wtf

joergi69

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
have still the same issue :-( no matter what tried I've got this bloody low res picture on my ME tile :-( it's very annoying.....

Sergio0694

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem.
The picture looks fine, but as soon as the me tile gets refresh (if you open it and pan to the notifications page, or if you update your MS account) it gets downscaled to low res.
The strange thing is that on my W8 PC the photo looks fine, and if I log in to SkyDrive, the photo looks crisp as well.
So it's just something related to the phone itself.
Anyone with a workaround?
I really can't stand that pixelated tile at the top of my home screen :/

ScorNinja

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a workaround that works if you have facebook. Basically update your profile picture from your phone but don't update your Hotmail/live account one.

Explicit Instructions if Needed:
1: On your phone, click on ME hub, and click on the profle picture.
2: Choose the image you want to be your profile pic by clicking image. (hint: you can go to your Profile Pictures album from facebook)
3: Where it says "Post to", make sure it is only updating to Facebook and not to Hotmail/live. Click to change.
4: Post to Facebook.
Done.

There is a bug where if you update you live profile picture it will default to a lower resolution image after your phone syncs.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon