Manufacturing defects in early 920 batches?

pzkpfwmmiv

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hello Everyone!
As I do not currently live in one of the official launch markets, I have been watching the rollout of the Lumia 920 over the last several weeks with an eye to importing an unlocked phone. I guess you could say I have "bought in" (at least prospectively) to the idea of owning a 920 and am confident that Nokia will eventually release firmware updates fixing image quality issues, but I am concerned by the reports of manufacturing defects and various hardware malfunctions. Of course, I am conscious that those who have no problems with their phone tend not to join a forum to register their feedback, while those with bricked handsets will of course log on to complain. But, the apparent frequency of defects in these early handsets (especially from AT&T and Rogers) gives me pause - as I would be buying the phone unlocked, and most likely from a US vendor, it would be especially inconvenient for me to send the phone back for a replacement if one was required. So, I am merely wondering, does anyone have information - i.e., regarding impending firmware updates, certain bad manufacturing batches, carrier software glitches, differences between international unlocked and North America carried-limited versions - that would allow me to set my mind at ease when importing an unlocked phone?
Thanks!

Moocowdeluxe

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't know anything 100% for certain, but I believe the issues that have cropped up are mostly, if not entirely, firmware issues and/or bugs with WP8 itself, rather than problems with the actual hardware.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I have had zero problems with my phone and I suspect most people haven't. As has been said before, people don't come to forums to post about how there is nothing wrong with their phone, but they sure as **** let you know when they have a problem or complaint, no matter how small. That gives you an inaccurate picture of what percentage of users actually have a problem.

For what it's worth, Nokia has an absolutely stellar record of responding to concerns and releasing fixes quickly. I have total confidence in them after my experience with the 900.

If you've got cold feet though, you can always wait a little while before buying one I suppose.

Eugene Ladyzhenskiy

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The flexing on the top of the chassis seems like a build quality issue to me. All the matte phones in the stores that I saw had this flex while glossy ones didn't. So I expected my cyan phone to have this issue as well, but when it came yesterday it didn't.

Chris Rosko

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I've had 2 lumia 920s now.

First one (matte black) locked up once every 15-20 minutes and was constantly rebooting. It had dust under the ff camera and proximity sensor because of gaps in the bezel and glass.

Second one (white) arrived today and has dust under the display.

Third times a charm? Only a couple of days to get att to send me out a new one.

I Unquello

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'll be on my third black one tonight. Both have had the top flexing issue (which shows up after a few days - not right away) as well as what I'm describing as screen delamination around the earpiece. I think they are related. My theory is the heat issue causes something to change in the chassis that makes the top portion break loose from the screen. My wife's white set has been perfect! I don't know if it's just the matte sets or what.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't know anything 100% for certain, but I believe the issues that have cropped up are mostly, if not entirely, firmware issues and/or bugs with WP8 itself, rather than problems with the actual hardware.

There are a few hardware related issues. The one that I experiences with my first phone was light leak around the capacitive buttons as well as dust under the FFC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes