Lumia 920 camera focus problem

EG8196

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
When I turn on the macro mode (close up), if the camera can't detect "close objects" , it won't focus.
2pod25v.jpg

Macro mode off
wjyz5d.jpg

Does you Lumia 920 act like this?
It won't happen on Lumia 900, if you turn on the macro mode on Lumia 900, it can still focus.

Thank you very much

EDIT: How do I remove the attached photo??

Attachments

• 2pod25v.jpg
    2pod25v.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 9

Birol inci

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi. I test and realized that If you set close up setting in the lumia 920, you should take very near object in 15cm. If you take the picture of objects over 20 cm distance, it will become blur and cant catch focus.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
Yep... Close-up Mode acts as a focus limiter. Your focus range is in the neighborhood of 6 inches to one foot away from your subject.
Designed to be more accurate and quicker on focusing on objects close up.

namurell

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
My wifes Lumia 920 seems to have this issue as well. Though I have checked the settings and it is not in macro mode. It just cannot obtain proper focus. When you half press the camera button to focus it will adjust, come into focus for a brief instant, then return to blurry. When you take the picture it stays blurry as well. My 920 does not have this problem. The pictures from our phones look about as different as the two example pics at the top of this thread. Is there any known (fixable) issue with the camera not focusing, or do I need to take this back and get a new one?

Vannisnow

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I have same issue.... will send back to Nokia next saturday. I have two 920 (black and white). The black one is not working at all.

sti2k5

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I have an even worse problem...no matter what I do...it looks in great focus on the screen, but as soon as i snap the pic...it's all fuzzy and washed out...everything on auto in flourescent lighting....just looks blah. my iphone 5 took much better pics...I'm wondering if I'm screwing something up or got bad hardware...

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Instead of a new thread I'll continue with this and add to the above poster post.

I was quite annoyed on the weekend trying to take pics of my daughter in a winter wonderland. Lots of overly soft after the shot but sharp in focus preview. What do you guys think of the attached comparison?

I half pressed the camera button to focus, grabbed a screenshot then took the picture. I didn't let go of camera button from screenshot so it should be representative of what I'm experiencing. Though I'm not sure the screen shot is representative of what it actually looks like on screen...

wp_ss_20130105_0002.png

WP_20130105_035.jpg

Last edited:

JonesCK1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Instead of a new thread I'll continue with this and add to the above poster post.

I was quite annoyed on the weekend trying to take pics of my daughter in a winter wonderland. Lots of overly soft after the shot but sharp in focus preview. What do you guys think of the attached comparison?

I half pressed the camera button to focus, grabbed a screenshot then took the picture. I didn't let go of camera button from screenshot so it should be representative of what I'm experiencing. Though I'm not sure the screen shot is representative of what it actually looks like on screen...

https://ytsqpg.bay.livefilestore.co...5jwAs1YKMQHJ-6JtUqtjw/wp_ss_20130105_0002.png

https://xfebfq.bay.livefilestore.co...8gylXvV-RKnuaJi8k_iaOjq5w/WP_20130105_035.jpg

Huh what are you talking about? The full res picture below looks fantastic on my desktop monitor. The screenshot above is just low res and not good. Problem with people comparing the focus preview is that they are comparing the 8MP image on their 1MP phone display. When you do that, sometimes worse quality 1MP image can look "sharper" than scaled down 8MP image due the renderer favoring the 1MP "naitive" image. This topic comes up repeatedly here. A big camera FAQ should be created for this and other "issues" that people write about.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

I thought the large shot was overall fair. A little soft but a clean shot with good light balance. Snow shots are tough. Worst thing is lack of detail in the trees. Too much compression going on here for me, but perhaps I'm too used to RAW files from my DSLR.

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Not sure I understand the complaint.
Macro mode limits the focus for MACRO shots. How is this a defect? Even another poster claiming they will return this phone because of this?
Wow.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Huh what are you talking about? The full res picture below looks fantastic on my desktop monitor. The screenshot above is just low res and not good. Problem with people comparing the focus preview is that they are comparing the 8MP image on their 1MP phone display. When you do that, sometimes worse quality 1MP image can look "sharper" than scaled down 8MP image due the renderer favoring the 1MP "naitive" image. This topic comes up repeatedly here. A big camera FAQ should be created for this and other "issues" that people write about.

I guess I failed to express what I wanted to say. People can get thrown off cause the preview, just before the shot can look quite crisp and neat. Taking a screenshot of that preview doesn't show this. Basically the live view often appears nice and crisp yet you get a bit softer image. This is more an observation rather than a complaint on my end.

And yea, snow shots are annoying and tough!

technosister

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Yep... Close-up Mode acts as a focus limiter. Your focus range is in the neighborhood of 6 inches to one foot away from your subject.
Designed to be more accurate and quicker on focusing on objects close up.

Is the focus also diasabled with "smart shoot"? And if yes, do you know why?
thank you

Varun Gm

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
My wife bought a Lumia 920 a week back. I was really really impressed about the quality of photographs especially in low light.
She got some updates and one of that was assumed to be software update for camera, after that the phone camera lost its ability to focus sharp. when you do the half press, I can see while it is 'looking for the right focus' it focus for a split second then becomes out of focus, so when it takes the photograph it takes the blurry picture.

I'm a quality assurance engineer who deals with video, imaging, cameras, etc everyday - so I can guarantee you I'm not wrong.
Please fix!!!!

-varun

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Isn't it weird...when macro photo actually is macro photo on a phone?

It's easy, macro is closeup of an object, not to far away yet not to super close.

lumia_920_fan

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I am using Lumia 920 as well and I noticed the same problem with the pictures since I bought the phone. Pictures taken for near objects, up to half a meter away are clear, crisp and well-focused; those taken for further objects are blurry and unfocused. I don't know what is causing the problem since I see a very clear picture, for a split second on the screen while autofocusing, but then what eventually stays on screen and is captured is the unfocused one. It is really annoying and there is huge difference in the quality of the pictures taken with my previous N8 and the Lumia 920. Please let me know if there is way to fix it.
Many thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowaHooley