Light vs Dark background?

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Which one is better, and which colour fits well on which background? :D

I recently went to Pacific Mall to get myself a Cyan case, and now my black 920 looks like it's cyan. I'm so happy. So I changed the tile theme to cyan too, and to my surprise, it looks so amazing with the light background.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
During the past 2.5 years of using WP, I've only used once (2-weeks) the light background, though some people prefer it.
It also kills battery more because of the constant brightness
At phone stores if they have real Windows Phone demos I always change it to dark if it's white at the moment xD

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Which one is better, and which colour fits well on which background? :D

I recently went to Pacific Mall to get myself a Cyan case, and now my black 920 looks like it's cyan. I'm so happy. So I changed the tile theme to cyan too, and to my surprise, it looks so amazing with the light background.

Oh wow, I also got a case from there last week, but just a cheap gel case for now, I have some more hard cases coming from HK but that may not arrive till the new year -.-
Pictures please??

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The white background only kills battery on AMOLED screens like the Lumia 800 and similar.

With a 8X or a 920 you can rock white background as long as the dark one, theres no difference AFAIK. Not noticeable at least.

I rocked dark background on my 800 because it was an AMOLED screen, on my 920 I rock white, because OMGawesome.

How colourmatching works: white and black backgrounds both work with all the colour themes.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
The white background only kills battery on AMOLED screens like the Lumia 800 and similar.

With a 8X or a 920 you can rock white background as long as the dark one, theres no difference AFAIK. Not noticeable at least.

I rocked dark background on my 800 because it was an AMOLED screen, on my 920 I rock white, because OMGawesome.

How colourmatching works: white and black backgrounds both work with all the colour themes.
Very interesting and exciting info.! Thanks!

deuxani

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I tried the white background, but on the Lumia especially I like a dark background more, because of the black screen bezel. With a black background it looks like the screen flows over in the shiny black bezel. I love it :) Btw I have a white Lumia.

lfjj

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Only ever used light background when using high contrast so the tiles and stuff becomes black. Otherwise no, it hurts my eyes too much and I think no premade colour fits good with the white background.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Crazytalk! Good that we dont all share the same taste, at least. I could never consider a black background with the tiles, i feel it looks far too boring. Might be because it reminds me of the lumia 800 and the dreaded AMOLEDscreen I never could turn to white background...

hehedeba

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Personally I prefer the light background. However I have reserved thoughts about the claim of light BG isn't more battery draining than the dark one (sorry Slai!). My 920's track record so far tells me there is difference, though I am unable to quantify. Anyone who can share his/her experience?

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I've also heard that light background drains more battery.
And youre 100% positive that what you heard isnt about AMOLED screens? You know, the screens that consume 0 battery on black colour and consumes more the brighter the colour?

Hehedeba: An easy way to test that is to turn off all push/sync, put the screen timeout to 0, turn it in Offline mode, no wifi, no NFC, etcetera, just as stable a drain as can be, then put it on white background and leave it there with screen on for X hours, then do the same with the black background.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
If I could sit still for more than a few hours Id do it myself, but Im leaving with a plane in an hour. If you decide to try this, sharing the results would be really great :) .

That being said; I do get about 1.5 days with my 920 using white background, so if there is any more drain on white, it probably cant be very much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes