Hard Reset by hardware button/key combination

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevan58

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
This process will restore the default (Factory) settings of Windows Phone 8 on Samsung Ativ-S. Soft reset can be done by press and hold the power key for at least 11 seconds. Please remember that the following steps will erase your personal settings, data, document or downloaded apps and games. Factory Reset can be used to solve frequently error such as the Ativ S is frozen and unresponsive, the phone start slowing down or the touchscreen stop responding.

1. Make sure you have enough battery life.
2. Turn off the Ativ-S phone by pressing the power button and holding it for a few seconds then scroll down to turn off the phone.
3. Press the Volume Down Key + Power Key to turn on the unit
4. Still hold the volume down key, the release Power Key.
5. Wait for the startup screen booting with an exclamation mark " ! " then release the volume down key.
6. Press the following buttons in the following order: press the volume up (high volume key) ==> press volume key down (low volume key) ==> press the power key ==> press volume down key.
7. Wait a moment and look at the screen, a message such as loading new software will start the hard reset process

stevan58

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
If your Ativ-S frozen, unresponsive and the touchscreen stop responding you can reset the phone only using the hardware button/key combination as decribed.

Last edited:

jamcef

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have followed the instructions as my screen was just coming up with blue Windows screen then went onto a white screen with just time and battery log showing. Windows button does nothing. Is there anything else I can do , only had the phone a week!! Was actully trying to get apps onto phone but was coming up with error 0008... so I powered off and on to see if that would help.... but it then came up the screens above... have tried what you suggested and get to ! mark and follow rest of instructions but still comes up with Blue windows screen then white screen and unable to acces any functions with windows button. Thanks ..

shakeel_jee7

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Dear Stevan58,

I have SAMSUNG ATIV S and I reset my phone by the Key combination you described but my phone now goes to Blue screen after I did the Hard reset and just only Volume key works and Voice Search function is working. But the screen remains Blue or nothing displays.
I did contact SAMSUNG Service center, but they are saying that we did not have yet its support. Please tell me, how can I reflash its ROM and where can I find it.

Waiting for your reply.

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't work for me. I managed to see the exclamation mark. But when I press the Power button after pressing consequently Volume Up | Volume Down, the phone just restarts and I can't get to press the volume down key! Any clue?

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I used to be on Android and the procedure explained in the OP is very much like a Hard Reset via Recovery mode on Samsung Galaxy phones, but one of the great things about the Ativ S is you can pull the battery for 30 secs if it locks and reboot.

Unlike Open Source Linux based Android, WP is a closed platform like iPhone, and I would imagine MS have given strict guidlines to developers not to let you access WP bootloaders and kernels for warranty purposes.. which was the one of the main reasons behind Samsungs KNOX, so if your Ativ crashes or freezes ide just pull the battery.

James Doiron

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Thank You ...

I thought my phone was garbage as it kept booting to a blue screen and then reboot and over and over it will do this as I think I tried everything and still didn't work. Well the phone finally reset it self and started up again..

Thanks again ::smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon