Why Lumia doesn't take location using cellular netwroks for apps which have permissions .

Amit Arora1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Dear All,
I have searched forums but haven't found any thread for this particular issue.. If anyone of you know any of similar thread then please let me know the link and i will start following it.

As per in all previous smartphones when i allowed apps to use my location then it would work fine if gps was switched off... Apps would use cellular location which is accurate upto 200-300 mts ,
which i think is perfectly alright as most of apps doesn't need fine locations. Apps like searching for restaurants nearby or posting something on facebook with location... it should be done without using gps. I don't know if i am missing a trick here or it is also one of those things which have gone missed by MS and nokia. Even location tagging on pictures clicked were done with cellular data in my previous phones. Or there should be a alternative of automatically switching on and off of GPS when we start using app with permission to location and it should close of its own when we stop using that particular app.

Regards
Amit

phonohead

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
On my old HTC One X, I could never got any location on my phone, unless I had GPS/location services on. Did I miss something, or are you sure GPS/location was not on, on your previous devices?

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
local scout use both data and gps to locate you and search for nearby deals and POI, as does apps with check in capability.
anyways no idea why you hate turning on gps.

futurix

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
On Windows Phone (same as on iPhone) you cannot turn off just GPS - you are turning off all ability to track your location: both via GPS and mobile networks.

Amit Arora1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
local scout use both data and gps to locate you and search for nearby deals and POI, as does apps with check in capability.
anyways no idea why you hate turning on gps.
Hey Huime,
I don't hate turning on gps , i am scared of battery drains... and i believe if closing gps can save battery then very rarely precise location is required by most of the apps.

Thanks for your reply though.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey Huime,
I don't hate turning on gps , i am scared of battery drains... and i believe if closing gps can save battery then very rarely precise location is required by most of the apps.

Thanks for your reply though.
Cellular data is a two way calibration while GPS is a one way receiver.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
WP8 doesn't have a setting for GPS. Just "Location Services" which includes wireless network location services. Turn one off, you turn them all off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234