HTC 8X Hard Factory Reset Doesn't work?? Bug?

bowdwin

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I am playing with an HTC 8X device at work. I was wondering ways to unlock you device if they put a password lock on the device and forget what their password is. It appears the only way around this is to do a Hard Factory reset on the device. However, after the completed the steps I get an explanation point ! like it's going to factory reset however it just ends up rebooting but does not factory reset is this a bug? The steps used to reset the phone are
1. Power off the phone
2. Hold the - volume bottom then press power for 2-3 secounds. Once you see a picture on screen release the volume
3. Press the following in sequence, Volume Up, Volume Down, Power button, Volume down.
After performing these steps I get an ! which should factory reset it but it doesn't appear to work.

I also have a Nokie 822 and just holding down the volume button and powering on the device I get a explanation point ! and it factory resets.

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi & welcome to WPCentral :smile:

That sequence should work for hard resets.
Alternatively you can try turning the phone off, then press the power, volume down and camera buttons until the phone vibrates, then release the power button and hold the other two for another five seconds.

Simon Dazel

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I got a htc 8x and mine does the exact thing, when I try and do a factory reset (as I locked myself out of the phone) I get the exclamation point then I hit Vol up voldown power and voldown, but as soon as I even tap power the device reboots. Htc Didn't know garbage and wont replace the device. If I hold vol up I get the ROM update mode with the lightning bolt and if I use the hold camera power and vol down, I get a Screen with barcodes and Info. If anyone knows a way to bypass passwords or fix this error it would be great, as im out of one of my phones, Thanks

I get the same thing.

Cant turn off the phone as it just restart's to the HTC start screen.
Soft reset:- I dont get the exclamation point, i just get the constant HTC logo
Hard reset:- i get barcodes, imei number etc
Tried the v up, v down, power, v down.. no joy.

Any other solution's?

Also, does anyone know whether Microsoft or HTC have acknowledged this problem?

lee barns

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I get the same thing.

Cant turn off the phone as it just restart's to the HTC start screen.
Soft reset:- I dont get the exclamation point, i just get the constant HTC logo
Hard reset:- i get barcodes, imei number etc
Tried the v up, v down, power, v down.. no joy.

Any other solution's?

Also, does anyone know whether Microsoft or HTC have acknowledged this problem?

Exact same problem!?

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
The solution from markfive is the ONLY solution I've found that brought my wife's phone back from the dead. Why can't all these reset solutions be published clearly??

scorpio1991

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I just got same problem after update I get gears forever. and now hard reset is not working.. When I press vol down power and camera It goes to flashing screen with bar codes just like pressing vol up and down...

AshleighC89

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure what the issue is, but I have personally spoken to HTC as I have the same kind of problem. ! and then no hard reset works. Constantly rebooting over and over. HTC have said that they're not sure what causes this, and can only ask that the handset is sent to them to be looked at, whether or not they can fix it, they do not seem to know.

champion7891

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have the continuous reboot bug and my phoen doesnt start or soft or hard reset without charger. plugging in charger doesnt turn the LED on but it cause continoous reboots, sequence is:
blanck screen
vibration
HTC screen
blank screen
and repeat

I tried using the combination of vol down pressed and then press power but i cannot get the excalamation mark. any ideas on how to factory reset?

Jeebus137

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I chatted with online help and here's the trick. You have to hold the volume down after power until you see the exclamation point. Once you see the exclamation point, then press vol up, vol down, power, vol down. Then you will see the turning gears screen. Hope this helps and is not too late.

INDIANQATAR

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I chatted with online help and here's the trick. You have to hold the volume down after power until you see the exclamation point. Once you see the exclamation point, then press vol up, vol down, power, vol down. Then you will see the turning gears screen. Hope this helps and is not too late.

Can you explain these steps in detail please i am facing the same issue

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
HTC 8x. Also had a hard reset no-go here today. My experience follows.
Symptoms....
Phone was charged to about 50%....after checking for update(stalled out/froze), did a soft reset, defaulted to factory lockscreen. Able to scroll and flick to App list but selecting app froze screen. Unable to reach Setting page either via App list or Notification drop-down.

Getting concerned...

More soft re-sets, same result. Lost LTE and WiFi icons and no SIM installed icon showed up. Reinserted SIM, no effect. Still freezing at any App selection.

Getting desperate....

Tried to hard factory re-set via HTC tutorial (power-off, hold Volume down...briefly, press Power, then release Volume down). Unable to start hard reset...doesn't even get to symbol/icon page, so never got to button sequence: Vol Up>Vol Down>Power>Vol Down....seems to just soft re-set instead. Unable to hard/factory re-set via buttons and unable to get to Settings/About/Reset option.

Beyond desperate...

Plugged in to wall w/non-standard cord but HTC plug....no charging. Placed on Qi pad charges. Plugged into HTC cord + plug charges. Let charge to 100%. Phone seems to have recovered on its own. Access available to Apps and Settings, LTE and WIFi auto-returned, SIM recognized and Lockscreen correct. Back to normal. Did a Power down and on again to check for any lingering problems. All ok. No idea why the phone freaked out like that or why I was unable to hard re-set via the buttons, but a full charging seemed to bring it back to life.

rob284945

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Today my 8X starting having the same trouble this guy had in the "Hard reset doesn't fix builtin apps closing on touch - phone unsuable" thread in the 8S forum. All apps immediately crash/close when I launch them. I've given up, and am ready to hard reset, but even that doesn't seem to work.

When trying to reset through Settings->About->ResetYourPhone, or using the hardware button method below, both just seem to just do a soft reset.

1. Power off the phone
2. Hold the - volume bottom then press power for 2-3 secounds. Once you see a picture on screen release the volume
3. Exclamation Point shows up: Press the following in sequence, Volume Up, Volume Down, Power button, Volume down.

The "Turn the phone off, then press the power, volume down and camera buttons until the phone vibrates, then release the power button and hold the other two for another five seconds." method gets me to the barcodes screen, but there's nothing to do from there?

jonas owusu

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
my phone htc 8x has about 4569 minutes to redeem my password

my phone has about 4569 minutes to redeem my password and i have tried all possible ways of doing a factory reset but to no avail.. i thought if i lock it on my outlook account i can recover my password back.. can somebody help me to get my phone back?? i have my project work on it:unhappysweat:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes