Space gets filled automatically on lumia 620!!! Major problem!!

ronixbasumatary

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I just came back from the nokia care store after showing a specific problem of my cell. The problem with my Lumia is that the 'others' folder gets filled when i browse the internet, use the store or browse on nokia music store. On asking about the problem they couldn't give me any solution. Instead, they formatted my cell to clear some space. Regarding my storage, I installed apps of around 328mb+(no music, videos etc on phone memory) but to my surprise only 1.5gb was left out of 4gb. I have used the storage check and shrink storage. But both are not effective and the shrink storage sometimes does the opposite, increasing the file in 'Others' folder(you can find it on phone memory under phone storage of settings) rather than decreasing it!
Now! The question that's on my mind is that if it keeps filling the space by itself(like a virus!) then what is the use of buying a lumia? A time will come where your space will be over and in my case it took less than a month. And last thing i noticed was that before browsing the internet the 'others' folder contained 437mb but after the browsing it increased to 477mb. So anyone! if you have got any solution please reply to this thread! thanks!
:cry:

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Bear in mind that the size of the file of an application on the store is the size of the installer for that application. But, the actual size of the installed application will be bigger.
The "other" folder is a portion of the phones storage that contains cache files for various applications including the browsers history, cookies and so on. It's also used by the OS to dynamically reserve space for the OS's core functions to run as smooth as possible without lag but it will free up that reserved space if other applications require it. This explains why WP 8 runs as smooth and fast on the 620 as it does on higher end models like the 920.

If you need to free up anymore space yourself you can regularly clear out the temp files manually and also download your map data to an SD card by using the Lumia Storage check application from Nokia Beta Labs by scanning the QR code below.

QR_StorageCheck_c2adc981-83c2-4f19-8161-67149e44214c.png

ronixbasumatary

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the QR CODE and the advice. But the problem is that when I browse on internet explorer, music store or apps store the 'others' folder increases in size. Even the Lumia storage check can't clean a bit. Shrink storage has been a bit successful in removing some but still it has got limitations! So the question is can't we clean the unnecessary temp files created on browsing?

pbroy

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the QR CODE and the advice. But the problem is that when I browse on internet explorer, music store or apps store the 'others' folder increases in size. Even the Lumia storage check can't clean a bit. Shrink storage has been a bit successful in removing some but still it has got limitations! So the question is can't we clean the unnecessary temp files created on browsing?

Go into Settings/applications/Internet Explorer then delete history.

pklbtjf

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Bear in mind that the size of the file of an application on the store is the size of the installer for that application. But, the actual size of the installed application will be bigger.
The "other" folder is a portion of the phones storage that contains cache files for various applications including the browsers history, cookies and so on. It's also used by the OS to dynamically reserve space for the OS's core functions to run as smooth as possible without lag but it will free up that reserved space if other applications require it. This explains why WP 8 runs as smooth and fast on the 620 as it does on higher end models like the 920.

If you need to free up anymore space yourself you can regularly clear out the temp files manually and also download your map data to an SD card by using the Lumia Storage check application from Nokia Beta Labs by scanning the QR code below.

View attachment 33045

I also face almost similiar problem with ronixbasumatary.

I started using my Nokia Lumia620 since April 2013. By mid of May, i was getting frustrated due the lagging and "0byte" free space on my phone (major of my phone internal memory occupied by 'others' folder), so i brought it to Nokia Care Centre to format it at end of May 2013.

After formatted, i am using my phone by extra be careful when i want to install any apps, to avoid the similiar case happen again. Unfortunately, i am facing this issue again by last week. After checked online, i installed the apps "Lumia Storage check" and clear the temporary file. However, the space occupied by temporary file seen "grow" bigger and bigger, from last week 700MB until today 909MB, and i unable to clear it. I thought the increasing of temporary files is due to i got many photos pending to be uploaded to my skydrive (with the message: "upload error, tap to retry"). I checked online and i found some advice that maybe due to my skydrive corrupted. Hence, i uninstalled and reinstalled again my skydrive. The result still my photos stucked in my phone and unable to be uploaded, until i decided to clear all the pending to be uploaded photos. Now, no more pending to be uploaded photos, but the temporary files can not be deleted/cleared. What happend and why?

From 11st August until today, my phone kept in showed that "0byte" free space. Even i tried to run storage check apps, the error message pop out each time :"Storage Summary not available - system could not retrieve storage information." I unable to use any apps in my phone due to "0byte" free space!!! This similiar issue repeated on me twice within 4months. All my media files saved on my external memory card. For my internal memory, there are 0bytes on music+videos, 1.8MB on pictures, 1.34GB apps, 2.01GB on system and 3.88GB on "others"!!!!! I deleted all my internet history, but there is no any changing on my phone's free space. I uninstalled my apps to get some free space (3-5MB), but the free space occupied by "Other" very fast and just after few hours, my phone showed "0byte" free space again.

1. How to shrink storage?
2. I tried to uninstalled and reinstalled my map, but it did not showed any option for me to save when i downloaded the map again. Hence, my map still installed in my internal memory. How to download my map data (currently occupied on my internal memory space with 133MB) to my SD card by using the Lumia Storage check apps?
3. How to reduce or delete the temporary files?

Feeling grateful if anyone can help me.

pklbtjf

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

I started using my Nokia Lumia620 since April 2013. By mid of May, i was getting frustrated due the lagging and "0byte" free space on my phone (major of my phone internal memory occupied by 'others' folder), so i brought it to Nokia Care Centre to format it at end of May 2013.

After formatted, i am using my phone by extra be careful when i want to install any apps, to avoid the similiar case happen again. Unfortunately, i am facing this issue again by last week. After checked online, i installed the apps "Lumia Storage check" and clear the temporary file. However, the space occupied by temporary file seen "grow" bigger and bigger, from last week 700MB until today 909MB, and i unable to clear it. I thought the increasing of temporary files is due to i got many photos pending to be uploaded to my skydrive (with the message: "upload error, tap to retry"). I checked online and i found some advice that maybe due to my skydrive corrupted. Hence, i uninstalled and reinstalled again my skydrive. The result still my photos stucked in my phone and unable to be uploaded, until i decided to clear all the pending to be uploaded photos. Now, no more pending to be uploaded photos, but the temporary files can not be deleted/cleared. What happend and why?

From 11st August until today, my phone kept in showed that "0byte" free space. Even i tried to run storage check apps, the error message pop out each time :"Storage Summary not available - system could not retrieve storage information." I unable to use any apps in my phone due to "0byte" free space!!! This similiar issue repeated on me twice within 4months. All my media files saved on my external memory card. For my internal memory, there are 0bytes on music+videos, 1.8MB on pictures, 1.34GB apps, 2.01GB on system and 3.88GB on "others"!!!!! I deleted all my internet history, but there is no any changing on my phone's free space. I uninstalled my apps to get some free space (3-5MB), but the free space occupied by "Other" very fast and just after few hours, my phone showed "0byte" free space again. :angry::angry::cry::cry:

2. I tried to uninstalled and reinstalled my map, but it did not showed any option for me to save when i downloaded the map again. Hence, my map still installed in my internal memory. How to download my map data (currently occupied on my internal memory space with 133MB) to my SD card by using the Lumia Storage check apps?

pklbtjf

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I am sorry, but what is GDR2? How it working? Currently my phone got no space to install any addition apps.
I checked my phone update and it showed it's up to date as at 11 August 2013. My OS version is 8.0.10211.204.
Please help me.

Haigs

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site

From 11st August until today, my phone kept in showed that "0byte" free space. Even i tried to run storage check apps, the error message pop out each time :"Storage Summary not available - system could not retrieve storage information." I unable to use any apps in my phone due to "0byte" free space!!! This similiar issue repeated on me twice within 4months. All my media files saved on my external memory card. For my internal memory, there are 0bytes on music+videos, 1.8MB on pictures, 1.34GB apps, 2.01GB on system and 3.88GB on "others"!!!!! I deleted all my internet history, but there is no any changing on my phone's free space. I uninstalled my apps to get some free space (3-5MB), but the free space occupied by "Other" very fast and just after few hours, my phone showed "0byte" free space again. :angry::angry::cry::cry:

1) Read this thread for shrink storage http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...storage-app-how-[tried-tested-lumia-620].html
It doesnt always work, i hope it works for you.
2) You need the lumia storage check BETA, search the wpcentral and scan the QR code to install it on your phone.

Hopefully Amber/GDR2 update will come soon.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

pklbtjf

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
1) Read this thread for shrink storage http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...storage-app-how-[tried-tested-lumia-620].html
It doesnt always work, i hope it works for you.
2) You need the lumia storage check BETA, search the wpcentral and scan the QR code to install it on your phone.

Hopefully Amber/GDR2 update will come soon.

I will try to install shrink storage tonight and test whether it working. Thanks for your info. :)
I already installed storage check BETA, but it seen like nothing much help for my situation, as it did not reduce any temporary files space after each time i clicked on "clear" button.
Is GDR2 update available now? Where i can get it update?

Haigs

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I will try to install shrink storage tonight and test whether it working. Thanks for your info. :)
I already installed storage check BETA, but it seen like nothing much help for my situation, as it did not reduce any temporary files space after each time i clicked on "clear" button.
Is GDR2 update available now? Where i can get it update?

The storage beta is for moving the maps to sd, it wont clear "other" space.
You will get a msg when the update is available.

pklbtjf

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I tried to run the shrink storage apps ystday, but there is not any changes on my "others". What is going wrong? What else i can do?
i thought that if we moving the maps to SD card, there will reduce the space occupied on internal memory, and increase the "free space"? My main issue now is i totally lost my free space.
How to select the destination to save when i download the maps? Because i can not choose the destination to save, even after installed storage check BETA. I saw in the review for storage check BETA, that it can make the maps installed/save in SD, but i did not saw any option when i delete and re-download the maps again. What i missed out?

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I tried to run the shrink storage apps ystday, but there is not any changes on my "others". What is going wrong? What else i can do?
i thought that if we moving the maps to SD card, there will reduce the space occupied on internal memory, and increase the "free space"? My main issue now is i totally lost my free space.
How to select the destination to save when i download the maps? Because i can not choose the destination to save, even after installed storage check BETA. I saw in the review for storage check BETA, that it can make the maps installed/save in SD, but i did not saw any option when i delete and re-download the maps again. What i missed out?

The Storage app doesn't actually move the maps that are already downloaded, it just sets the default map location to the SD card so that any further maps will be stored there. What you need to do after you change the map storage to the SD card is to delete all your currently installed maps and then download them again. This time, when they are downloaded they will be stored on the SD card.

AFAIK the Shrink Storage app can only clear certain types of files that the OS controls. It seems that certain types of activities (music streaming, games, etc) produce files that can't be cleared by the app. If you've really hit the wall in terms of storage, until the GDR2 update is available, your only real option would be a factory reset (Settings>About>Reset phone). Unfortunately this will wipe all your apps and data and you'll have to restore and re-setup everything.

pklbtjf

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
The Storage app doesn't actually move the maps that are already downloaded, it just sets the default map location to the SD card so that any further maps will be stored there. What you need to do after you change the map storage to the SD card is to delete all your currently installed maps and then download them again. This time, when they are downloaded they will be stored on the SD card.

AFAIK the Shrink Storage app can only clear certain types of files that the OS controls. It seems that certain types of activities (music streaming, games, etc) produce files that can't be cleared by the app. If you've really hit the wall in terms of storage, until the GDR2 update is available, your only real option would be a factory reset (Settings>About>Reset phone). Unfortunately this will wipe all your apps and data and you'll have to restore and re-setup everything.

How to change the map storage to the SD card? I already deleted the map saved, what is my next step to do, before i re-download again, so that when they are downloaded they will be stored on the SD card?

Ohh, it seen like sound sad for me. My phone already been formatted by Nokia Care Centre last 3months. I just start using my window phone since April 2013 and within a short period, my phone needed to redo a reset again. It seen like a burden and troublesome by using a window phone, compare with IOS and Android phone.
Anyway, what is the difference by send the phone to Nokia Care Centre or doing the factory reset by myself?

sision

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
How to change the map storage to the SD card? I already deleted the map saved, what is my next step to do, before i re-download again, so that when they are downloaded they will be stored on the SD card?

Ohh, it seen like sound sad for me. My phone already been formatted by Nokia Care Centre last 3months. I just start using my window phone since April 2013 and within a short period, my phone needed to redo a reset again. It seen like a burden and troublesome by using a window phone, compare with IOS and Android phone.
Anyway, what is the difference by send the phone to Nokia Care Centre or doing the factory reset by myself?

You can download and install Lumia Storage Check . There is an option to save maps in SD card.

pklbtjf

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
You can download and install Lumia Storage Check . There is an option to save maps in SD card.
Thanks sision. Yes, as i mentioned before, i already installed Lumia Storage Check BETA in my phone. Now just i do not know how to set the option to save maps in SD card, because i tried before, but i did not find the way. Please show me how to do. TQVM :)

sision

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks sision. Yes, as i mentioned before, i already installed Lumia Storage Check BETA in my phone. Now just i do not know how to set the option to save maps in SD card, because i tried before, but i did not find the way. Please show me how to do. TQVM :)

In the app swipe right for "Details". Under "Maps" click on change. There will be an option to store in SD card. Update the app if you cant find the option.

pklbtjf

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
In the app swipe right for "Details". Under "Maps" click on change. There will be an option to store in SD card. Update the app if you cant find the option.

Thanks sision, i find it. =D
I just realised why i couldn't find in previously, it's due to i selected the app from Setting -> storage check -> swipe right for "Details" -> Under "Maps" , the only option is "maps". Hence i couldn't find the way.
Now, i selected the apps from apps listing and i found the tap "change" under the "Maps".
After remove the maps to SD card, hopefully it will reduce the space occupied on internal memory and increase the "free space". Would it?

sision

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks sision, i find it. =D
I just realised why i couldn't find in previously, it's due to i selected the app from Setting -> storage check -> swipe right for "Details" -> Under "Maps" , the only option is "maps". Hence i couldn't find the way.
Now, i selected the apps from apps listing and i found the tap "change" under the "Maps".
After remove the maps to SD card, hopefully it will reduce the space occupied on internal memory and increase the "free space". Would it?

Yes definitely. It will save you some space on the internal memory.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon