Coming from iOS to WP8!

JC_Sahara

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm replacing my iPhone 4S with the new 928! I went into VZW a played with the 928 last Thursday and fell in love. They didnt have any in stock so I ordered a white one online. It should be here by Tuesday so I'm excited! I have never played with a windows phone before but really wanted to give it a shot after owning a IP4 and 4s. I could handle iOS but I always felt like something was missing. I'm aware of the apps short comings but I'm sure that will grow eventually! Is there any suggestions as to what I should do to make the switch? I've already exported my contacts and imported them into outlook. Thanks guys and gals!

Josh

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm replacing my iPhone 4S with the new 928! I went into VZW a played with the 928 last Thursday and fell in love. They didnt have any in stock so I ordered a white one online. It should be here by Tuesday so I'm excited! I have never played with a windows phone before but really wanted to give it a shot after owning a IP4 and 4s. I could handle iOS but I always felt like something was missing. I'm aware of the apps short comings but I'm sure that will grow eventually! Is there any suggestions as to what I should do to make the switch? I've already exported my contacts and imported them into outlook. Thanks guys and gals!

Josh

Yeah I mean just start building that live account! Lol it runs everything in this Microsoft world over here!

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Welcome. Importing your contacts to your MS Outlook account is the main thing. That outlook email address, when entered into your phone will connect the two and populate your phone. Be sure to try the one month free Xbox Music and check out all the exclusive Nokia apps.
- You are going to have fun. If you have question, the answers are easy to find here in the forums.
Best Wishes.

JC_Sahara

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah so I've always been a hotmail user so that helps. I was wondering, my Xbox live account goes by a different email than my normal email address, will that cause an issue on the WP8? Will it allow the 2 difference emails?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah so I've always been a hotmail user so that helps. I was wondering, my Xbox live account goes by a different email than my normal email address, will that cause an issue on the WP8? Will it allow the 2 difference emails?

It can be done but its not pretty. I suggest consolidating. Whichever live account you use for Xbox is the one you want to use as your main live account, the other you will have to just use as an imported email address.

JC_Sahara

May 20, 2013
Visit site
That's an idea, I'll try that. It may be best! I'll have to play with it come Tuesday! This wil be fun haha thanks for the responses :D

tvolpe86

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

on your xbox you can actually change the email (live id/ms account, etc.) that is associated with your gamer tag in the account settings. i would make your xbox live subscription email match the ms account you are setting up the phone with. makes it much easier! thats what i did =)

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

I would HIGHLY suggest switching your Xbox Gamertag over to the microsoft account you are going to use for your phone, or you will not be able to use any of the gaming related aspects on the phone with that account. Microsoft has a 30 day policy for any changes to the Xbox account, so you can get stuck and not be able to change the account for months (ran into this problem last November and, due to a new Xbox and Windows 8 pc's, was not able to get it working properly until April). If you end up using a different email address than your gamertag is associated with, you will not be able to integrate your Xbox with ANY of the phone apps (No Xbox Music, Smartglass, etc). It will all work on the phone, just will not integrate with the Xbox.

I would also suggest upgrading your hotmail to outlook.com, it's pretty easy to do and all the emails to your hotmail will still go through. I converted from gmail and now have everything auto forwarded. PM me with any questions, I'm happy to help so it doesnt take you months to get everything in working order.

I can't stress enough, consolidate all of you accounts before you use the phone for the first time.

JC_Sahara

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I've already integrated into outlook, and I checked out the account swap thing and I have to wait 30 days :( ill just use the email I am gonna switch the gamer tag too! Thanks guys!

vonchowder

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Do I need a Microsoft account AND and outlook account setup in the account settings section? I currently have my legacy hotmail account (for xbox) used for both of these. In the account setup, the only checkbox the microsoft account can sync is email, while the outlook account type lets you sync contacts and calendar as well as email. This is confusing because it seems like it is grabbing my contacts and calendar from the microsoft account too because I see duplicates for calendar entries. I did go into outlook.com and import all my contacts from old google account.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Do I need a Microsoft account AND and outlook account setup in the account settings section? I currently have my legacy hotmail account (for xbox) used for both of these. In the account setup, the only checkbox the microsoft account can sync is email, while the outlook account type lets you sync contacts and calendar as well as email. This is confusing because it seems like it is grabbing my contacts and calendar from the microsoft account too because I see duplicates for calendar entries. I did go into outlook.com and import all my contacts from old google account.

For your main account, use the Hotmail one since it's already connected to XBOX.

digitalicecream

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

You'll be able to connect your outlook account to your live/Hotmail account after you connect your live account to your phone. We suggest this because your gaming score and profile will come over to your phone by connecting this first. There's a good chance that when you connect your google account, you'll still be getting your contacts from there as well. Like Google, the People app lets you merge several instances of the same person into one profile of that individual so you have details from all of their accounts, gmail, Hotmail, yahoo, facebook, live, Skype, etc.

airwolf878

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
The Microsoft account you use as the primary account linked to your phone will always sync contacts and calendar. That can't be disabled, as you noticed, as they're required for the integrated People Hub and Calendar. You do have some control over this though - in the People Hub, open the settings from the menu and tap on "filter my contact list." This lets you select or deselect the accounts to show contacts in the People Hub. Similarly, if you open the Calendar and go to settings you'll see all calendar accounts listed with toggle buttons to turn them on or off in the calendar view. Hope this helps.

vonchowder

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
The Microsoft account you use as the primary account linked to your phone will always sync contacts and calendar. That can't be disabled, as you noticed, as they're required for the integrated People Hub and Calendar. You do have some control over this though - in the People Hub, open the settings from the menu and tap on "filter my contact list." This lets you select or deselect the accounts to show contacts in the People Hub. Similarly, if you open the Calendar and go to settings you'll see all calendar accounts listed with toggle buttons to turn them on or off in the calendar view. Hope this helps.

Thanks! That is a good way to explain this unfortunately complicated subject. The upgrading to outlook etc has made it hard to pin down which account is which.

When I log into outlook.com, I have it linked back to my original hotmail address. From what you are saying, it seems I may not need the 'Outlook' account type on my phone for anything. I will try unchecking the boxes for calendar and contacts on the outlook one and see what happens. I may delete the account all together.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon