INTRODUCING: The world's first Dual Shot shell Lumia 920

anon(5680040)

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I believe that we have to do the process over and over again if we want to have such a perfect result.
OP did you succeed the first time?
Do you have any similar experience with painting?
Is it easy?
Which are the pitfalls?
We would be very great full if you analyze the process a bit more and reveal the critical points.
Maybe a longer video will help us to ruin less cases!

Congratulations for your perfect result!

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
OP, it is possible for you to give some rough times you took on each stage of the sanding and how long the paint took between coats? As far as I know opening up your Lumia like this will void your warranty but if that's not a concern for you this could be a brilliant DIY project. I'm really interested how well this effect lasts, whether you'd have to keep re-polishing the case again as you're polishing it through rubbing compounds. I can't believe how good the result is that I'm really considering doing this myself I just need to know how well the effect lasts and if the paint comes off over time.

I believe that we have to do the process over and over again if we want to have such a perfect result.
OP did you succeed the first time?
Do you have any similar experience with painting?
Is it easy?
Which are the pitfalls?
We would be very great full if you analyze the process a bit more and reveal the critical points.
Maybe a longer video will help us to ruin less cases!

Congratulations for your perfect result!

Well, one of the reasons I actually went for it was because I have painted many many times before. I work on cars and have custom designed suspension parts and systems for race cars, and a good paint job is always a critical step in delivering a quality car part. So I'm no stranger to painting. This shell was my first attempt, but if you haven't painted before, there is a good chance that it won't go as smooth as mine.

The video wasn't really meant to be instructional; I'm not trying to teach people how to do it. I merely made it because the first question people ask is "how did you do it?" just out of curiosity. The video answers that.

If you have a friend who is an auto body pro, or someone who has spray painted many model cars, they would probably have no problems doing it and would be a great help if you wanted to try this on your own phone.

I'll go through the process below:

Initial sanding with 1200 grit - about 30 minutes of intense sanding. Went through 2/3 of a sheet. You could do it a lot faster if you used 800 grit, and it would have still looked nice and worked, but 1200 grit is just nicer, and a lower chance of cutting through the edges and rounding out the corners.

Blow it dry with canned air. Then I wipe it down with a cleanser (I use Sure Wipe)

Then I bent a coat hanger to hold the phone up. It couldn't touch any of the shell's exterior, so using a coat hanger you can bend it into shape without obstructing your paint.

Threw on a very light tack coat to promote adhesion. Waited about 10 minutes.

Threw on a light coat. Waited about 20 minutes.

Final colour coat, a slight bit heavier than the last. Waited about 20 minutes.

Some say you should wait a long time before putting on your clear, but I just blasted it on anyhow as I was running out of time for the day.

Waited 20 minutes. Then put on another clear. I put the clear coats on heavier as it's gotta flow a bit to flatten and smooth out the roughness of the light colour coats.

Then I baked it for about 5 hours after the paint stopped running. Just put it about a foot away directly infront of a 400W work light. This is really expedite the curing process.

Let it sit in my garage for a few days to really harden up.

Then I started the wetsanding process to remove the typical orange peel effect. I probably spent about 7 minutes on each grit (1000, 1200, 1500). It's tougher to wetsand because it's hard to see what you've missed when it's all wet. So you gotta wipe it dry every so often and do an inspection.

Then the polishing stages came. Probably spent about 7 minutes on each polishing compound.

Wash thoroughly and inspect. If you did a good job, it will be as perfectly smooth and shiny as the factory shells look.

The next step was to remove the guts out of the old shell. Now this depends on how handy you are. I fix things all the time so this kind of stuff is not daunting to me at all. In fact, I replaced the glass on my 920 and 810 myself already. What you'll need is a Torx T6 screwdriver to open the case, some kind of thin, flat prying tool (I used a butter knife), a jewler's flat bladed screwdriver to pry the tiny parts out, tweezers help too (though I got by without), a heat gun to soften the adhesives, and maybe some double sided mobile phone tape to reattach some of the parts into the new case. (I use 1mm tape because it fits everywhere)

First turn off the phone.
Remove SIM tray
Unscrew the two T6 bolts on the bottom
Bend the shell to pop the phone chassis out of the poly shell. Careful, they are attached with the USB ribbon cable.
Put on some gloves so you don't burn yourself.
Apply heat to the camera button area on the shell. When it gets hot enough, you can pry off the button chassis with your tiny jeweler's screwdriver.
Work your way to the power button and keep prying off the button chassis. Go slow, allow the adhesive to soften from the heat.
Once that long piece is off, use the screwdriver to pry off the USB port chassis. It is at the bottom and is the entire width of the phone. Now the shell and main chassis can be totally separated.
Take the buttons off and put them somewhere safe
Use heat to pry off the antenna on the top right of the shell.
Do the same thing for the top left, and then the final antenna that goes down the length of the left side of the shell.
Heat up the metal frame that sits around the USB port and pry that off.
Now use tweezers, or scrape the speaker covers off the shell. Wherever possible, try to preserve the adhesive tape on the parts.
Heat up the shell under the headphone jack and pry that off.
Heat up the centre of the shell, use your butter knife (or whatever you've chosen to use. Thin guitar pics work too) and separate the wireless charging circuit from the shell.
Heat up the LED flash, and pry that off. Again, preserve the adhesive tape!
Heat up the camera lens and gently pry it off. It's soft and easy to deform and bend, so take your time.
Now the Carl Zeiss label is probably hot enough you can pull it off too.
Heat up the area above the camera. That green area is the NFC antenna and circuitry. Gently slide your knife under it so you don't damage the antenna and pull it off.
There was also a long sticker on the right side of the shell. Looks like it is some kind of shielding sticker. Peel it off and transfer it to your new shell.

Replace any adhesives you destroyed, and transfer it all into your new case!
The frame that holds in the volume, power, and camera buttons seems to use adhesive that no longer sticks once separated. So I peeled it off, and use mobile phone tape to replace it.

Looking at the length of my raw video, that entire gut transplant procedure took me 40 minutes. Budget more time if you are not used to working on electronics.

That about covers the whole procedure...

Jonnny4

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Awesome! Okay, now if you can tell me how to get the HTC 8x Lime Green color on a Nokia Lumia 920 shell I would love you forever, lol. I knew I wanted the Lumia because it is a far better phone but I love the color of the 8x in Lime Green.

htc-8x-lime-green-photo.jpg

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Awesome! Okay, now if you can tell me how to get the HTC 8x Lime Green color on a Nokia Lumia 920 shell I would love you forever, lol. I knew I wanted the Lumia because it is a far better phone but I love the color of the 8x in Lime Green.

View attachment 34939

cheers guys, thanks!

you can probably achieve the lime green color by starting with the cyan shell and hitting it with metalcast yellow. That would probably get you in the ballpark.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon