Upgrading from Trophy to 928

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Well, jumped on the deal for $49 yesterday. Should be a nice upgrade, though I will *lose* my data hotspot and group messaging. And hopefully I don't have a goopy start button or crooked camera housing.

Couple questions, especially for others who have similar plans and services:

Zune Pass (old grandfathered plan with keeper songs): does it work? does it work well?
Putting music on phone in general: sounds like drag and drop from a well curated collection is the way to go (I'm a little OCD on that, so should be good).
I plan to take lots of pictures. Sounds like the auto-upload will hose storage until the GDR2 update comes out. Best to leave that disabled?

Transferring phone to another line: bought this using upgrade on wife's line (family plan). So I will have to activate on her line, then put her phone back on the line. After that, will I need a new SIM to put it on my line? Or should I just be able to add the equipment to my line online and have it work?

Is there any solid word on when the next update + "Amber" will be coming out?

Thanks!

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, jumped on the deal for $49 yesterday. Should be a nice upgrade, though I will *lose* my data hotspot and group messaging. And hopefully I don't have a goopy start button or crooked camera housing.

Zune Pass (old grandfathered plan with keeper songs): does it work? does it work well?
Putting music on phone in general: sounds like drag and drop from a well curated collection is the way to go (I'm a little OCD on that, so should be good).
I plan to take lots of pictures. Sounds like the auto-upload will hose storage until the GDR2 update comes out. Best to leave that disabled?

Transferring phone to another line: bought this using upgrade on wife's line (family plan). So I will have to activate on her line, then put her phone back on the line. After that, will I need a new SIM to put it on my line? Or should I just be able to add the equipment to my line online and have it work?

Thanks!

Zune Pass,not quite sure. I always hated it so haven't used it since I got the 928.
Putting music on, yes Drag and Drop is the way to go.
Auto-upload, I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. I have auto-upload turned on and all my pics get sent up to the Cloud just fine.
Transferring phone, no clue.
Amber update, no set deadline that I've heard yet

Hope that helps.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Zune Pass,not quite sure. I always hated it so haven't used it since I got the 928.
Putting music on, yes Drag and Drop is the way to go.
Auto-upload, I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. I have auto-upload turned on and all my pics get sent up to the Cloud just fine.
Transferring phone, no clue.
Amber update, no set deadline that I've heard yet

Hope that helps.

re: the upload -- apparently that is one of the cause of the ever expanding "other" storage problem.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
If you have Zune Pass(Xbox Music) and unlimited data and Windows 8, then it isn't necessary to store your music on the phone. Windows Music will place all your music in the cloud and then you can stream.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

Thanks!

I don't think auto upload on the 928 will be a problem because it has Nokia's storage check app which clears temporary memory. I haven't been using more than a few days, but I turned auto-upload back on (I had it off on my 822 because of the storage problem). I used the storage check app right after I picked up the phone and cleared a few hundred MBs, piece of cake.

As for transferring to another line...when I used my dad's upgrade to get the 822, I transferred the upgrade to my number prior to choosing the phone. Did you not do that? I'm assuming when the phone arrives, just put your SIM from the Trophy into the 928 and you'll be good to go. I put the SIM from my 822 into my 928 on Monday and all has worked fine.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Here's a question. So you upgraded your wife's line, right? This might be a possibility.... Once the phone comes, don't activate it. If you activate it, obviously her current device stops working and the SIM in that device will be tied to her number.

You simply might be able to remove the SIM they preinstalled and pop the SIM from your current phone into that one and that's it.
However, I am assuming you already have a 4G phone with the same size SIM card. If you don't then you could possibly just go to a Verizon store, get a new SIM card and move your line to it. They don't have to know what device you are moving to, they just need to move yoru number to a SIM card. This is what you would do if you were to buy a phone off EBay or whatever.

So maybe you can keep your unlimited?

p.s. I do that all the time with my 4 lines. I test new devices for our mobile stuff at work so I'm always swapping SIMs.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
As for transferring to another line...when I used my dad's upgrade to get the 822, I transferred the upgrade to my number prior to choosing the phone. Did you not do that? I'm assuming when the phone arrives, just put your SIM from the Trophy into the 928 and you'll be good to go. I put the SIM from my 822 into my 928 on Monday and all has worked fine.

Trophy is 3G so it does not have a Verizon SIM like 4G devices do.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, to clarify, used upgrade on wife's line (dumbphone). My understanding is that it HAS to be activated first on her line, or I stand a good chance of losing the unlimited data on my line. From what I can tell, sounds like I will need to run down to the VZW store and get a fresh SIM for my line after that.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Thanks!

ZunePass: YES. You can download songs using your grandfathered Zune <> Xbox Music Pass. When u go to download a song it will give you the option to "Use a Song Credit" and show 10 of 10 remaining... or 6 of 10... etc. Depending on what you do have for the month.

Music Transfers: Drag and Drop through windows explorer. The WP8 sync clients are junk. Drag drop your current collection onto the music folder of the phone. You can also do this for docs, photos, and videos.

** Make sure to drag-drop the music you downloaded with your song credit to save it. AFAIK, if you don't its gone and youd have to waste another credit to get it again.

Line Upgrades: You do have to activate the device on the eligible line. Then you can swap them. I did this at a corp store and they did it in a few minutes. New SIMS and all that were included.

UPDATES: Not aware of "Amber" unless that is the GDR3. GDR2 is supposedly hitting VZW in the next 4 weeks (July). I read that MS plans on a GDR3 in late fall/early winter and WP8.1 or Blue will come out early 2014.

Although I did shut off auto UL to SD because of the purposed other storage issue, I don't think you would have a problem. I turned it back on and my other storage is still whack.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Awesome. I find it handy to just use the Bing audio search in the car, in the grocery store, wherever, then use my song credits at the end of the month.

Music transfer, so I need to remember to drag the music OFF the phone too...hopefully they come up with wireless sync. Sometimes I am just confused by MS...why go backwards?

"Amber" is supposed to be the Nokia update, that depends on GDR2. Should include a few minor improvements of its own, sounds like.

Thanks to everyone, looking forward to the new phone tomorrow (seriously, the camera is what I'm drooling after...the Trophy is just terrible at photos).

ZunePass: YES. You can download songs using your grandfathered Zune <> Xbox Music Pass. When u go to download a song it will give you the option to "Use a Song Credit" and show 10 of 10 remaining... or 6 of 10... etc. Depending on what you do have for the month.

Music Transfers: Drag and Drop through windows explorer. The WP8 sync clients are junk. Drag drop your current collection onto the music folder of the phone. You can also do this for docs, photos, and videos.

** Make sure to drag-drop the music you downloaded with your song credit to save it. AFAIK, if you don't its gone and youd have to waste another credit to get it again.

Line Upgrades: You do have to activate the device on the eligible line. Then you can swap them. I did this at a corp store and they did it in a few minutes. New SIMS and all that were included.

UPDATES: Not aware of "Amber" unless that is the GDR3. GDR2 is supposedly hitting VZW in the next 4 weeks (July). I read that MS plans on a GDR3 in late fall/early winter and WP8.1 or Blue will come out early 2014.

Although I did shut off auto UL to SD because of the purposed other storage issue, I don't think you would have a problem. I turned it back on and my other storage is still whack.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
re: the upload -- apparently that is one of the cause of the ever expanding "other" storage problem.

The skydrive bug is non issue to Lumias. Tho' you must be careful with picture apps, especially those that download or process picture to cycle the lockscreen or a live tiles. Bad written apps will leave their cache files, in this case the intended display picture in the "other storage". Or else you should be fine with Nokia Storage Tool that is able to clean all other accumulated temp files.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, what I meant about dragging music off the phone would be the drmfree song that you used your credit on. Actually, I've dragged dropped, but I have also bluetoothe transferred it to my PC. That is something 8 does that 7 didn't!!!

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, what I meant about dragging music off the phone would be the drmfree song that you used your credit on. Actually, I've dragged dropped, but I have also bluetoothe transferred it to my PC. That is something 8 does that 7 didn't!!!

What I do most of the time now is wait until the end of the month, then look at my phone and using the credits on the PC. We've been moving and having our server (WHS) not up all the time, and wifi sync has broken yet again so I don't like the idea of the phone holding my one and only copy anyway.

Now I need to see if the Fedex guy actually knocks or just tosses a doortag on the lawn today ;)

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, I dunno know if you are up on this or not, but wp8 no longer has WiFi sync (which really blows). It all Xbox cloud. Which doesn't really work right. Although I recently read that wp8.1 kinda fixes that (XBM is getting fix or overhauled in the next release). I think I read that on thurotts site.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
So if you upgraded your wife's dumbphone, won't there be a dataplan now attached to it once you activate it?

Until I put the dumbphone back on the line, yes. The Lumia arrived already...now I have to wait for my wife to get home so we can get started and then head to the Verizon store...

*impatient*

edit: also called Verizon and got the SIM unlock code for my Trophy today :)

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
So I got the phone, activated it on my wife's line. Couldn't swap the old one back on the line from vzw.com, so headed to a store. They were able to put her old phone back on the line, and the contract date for that line is up in 2015 now. However, the guy wouldn't put the 928 on my line, he insisted I would have to change the line having used an upgrade on my ACCOUNT. Which I believe is wrong, but that doesn't help me in store when the person is refusing to help. As far as I can figure out, I'm going to need a new SIM card anyway at this point.

How do I go about getting one and getting this sweet, sweet, succulent phone on my line? Any advice?

edit: and keeping unlimited data, of course ;)

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Back when the 8x was released and I upgraded my Trophy, I used the same Sim card that was delivered. Once I got my wife's old phone set back and activated back on her line that I used to upgrade. I then went to the online activation and transferred the Sim Card to my line. I didn't lose my unlimited data.

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I manage a corporate account with 1200 lines at work and often swap devices around. You don't really need a new SIM, but it can be easier if you have one. Have you tried just switching the phone over online? If it prompts you to change your plan DON'T go any further. Other than that you can call Verizon and just have them swap it over the phone. They'll ask for the IMEI # off the phone and the SIM #. If you have the box and the left over SIM shell/card it is easy to get those numbers. Now, since I don't deal with this exact situation at work I might be wrong, but I think you should be able to get someone to help you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizmizo