Is this possible? car charger can't keep up with phone usage

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Yea I'm pretty sure most wall chargers short the pin internally, I am not so sure about car chargers...especially if they are inexpensive ones

soloist_huaxin

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Yea I'm pretty sure most wall chargers short the pin internally, I am not so sure about car chargers...especially if they are inexpensive ones

Exactly. I did a bunch of googling and read some amazon reviews, and this might be the core reason. Unfortunately, most car chargers don't specify whether they short the data pins internally or not. And with the popularity of apple devices, they are more likely NOT to short it, and put a resistor in between, so Apple device can use their way of identifying a charger and charge with full power. This will cause MOST devices to charge with no more than 500mA current. I guess I'll just get a $5 one with 2.1A rating and DIY myself.

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I've been trying to get a car chager for my 920 that can actually CHARGE when I'm using it in the car. By "Using" I mean running navigation and playing local music via bluetooth. (occasionally using pandora but that's rare). . . .

I have that exact issue. Using Here Drive while streaming music to the car's bluetooth I have killed the battery before. Actually, I've killed it with just Drive and not streaming music before.

soloist_huaxin

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Ok here's what I did. I bought this $5 dual-USB car charger that's 2.1A rated from a local shop, took it to company's workbench, took it apart, and soldered the data pins together for each USB port. Before doing this, I measured the resistance between data pins, and they read somewhere around 53k ohm. My guess is that they do this for Apple compatibility, although on the package it says this charger is for Samsung...I know, mind boggling, but for $5...So I shorted the data pins, and tried it on my way home. with HERE drive and bluetooth music, I managed to get the phone to charge by about 3% in a ~10min drive. This doesn't feel like a lot, but at least it's not draining battery, so for $5 I'm more than fine with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon