Build Quality? Service? A nightmare...

wizzackr

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Sorry right off the bat, but I have to vent my anger somewhere. My sad Lumia experience goes like this - and ends today:

Bought a Lumia 920 the day it was released in Europe - actually I pre-ordered it off contract, as my carrier was not going to have it for another couple of months. Got the phone after an HD7 (which NOT ONCE gave me any hickups) - and gosh I loved the design of it, still do. Same thing for the OS, really liked it on my HD7 and am sure about it as my ecosystem of choice.

The phone however, was plagued with loads of hickups: Hot as hell when doing... anything, really. Loads of dust under the FFC after a single month, erratic problems with the proximity sensor (due to dust?) - and most importantly: a freezing phone about ten times a week. Yes, ten. This is - obviously - unbearable, especially if you want to use this phone as a business phone, so I called support.

Those guys were quick to tell me to do a hard reset, then everything would be dandy. So I did (through the damn menu in the phone even) - which, to my surprise, bricked my phone. I mean - WTF? Again on support line (which is 1,09€ a minute here - have not had that for a while either), a couple of absurdely clueless people had no idea of nothing. So I wasted a couple of hours on the internet - to find that none of the usual button combos had any effect. Again on the support line - and again 10 bucks later - they told me to send in the phone using their support page on the internet. Going along with what was told me I went there and filled out five pages worth of information to then be greeted with a 404. Back on the support line they told me "oh, sorry, yeah, the company no longer works together with us" - another 10 bucks and I have an address.

Sent in the phone in on my own money and then waited... for an entire month! Phone arrives, IMEI is identical, so I am sure they fixed it. Boot up the phone for the first time and it freezes about ten seconds after the UI is back up. I am fuming, I tell you that. Actually it is now a lot worse - I get a freezing phone about twice a day now for sure. Infuriated, I call the service line again - again talk myself through a dozen clueless morons, again I'd guess 15 bucks out of the window. They assure me I now get a "priority repair" ("maximum 3 days, I promise") now, direct me to another page, I fill out another 5 pages of forms, bring the phone to the post office (this time NOKIA pays) and wait. Two weeks (!) in I call - again. After four return calls of various people it turns out the wepage they directed me to was AGAIN a wrong one and they sent my phone to another company - who apparently had no clue it was supposed to be on priority. So there I am: 8 month with a NOKIA flagship, 6 weeks downtime and counting - which is a whopping 18% downtime. Easily a hundred US wasted on calls, not counting the endless hours I searched the internet for possible solutions. 20 bucks wasted on postage.

They really want to keep customers like that? Those who are enthusiastic enough to buy their phones off contract? As much as I hate those idiots - that took my local Apple store ONE DAY when I still had a fruit phone! One. Single. Day. So, as soon as I get the phone back it goes on ebay and I will look elsewhere. I am totally aware of the fact, that this may well have been once single FUBARed phone, but then at least get the service right. I personally have had enough of Nokia's fantastic build quality and service, thank you.

/ rant

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Where did you buy the phone from? If it was crap right from the beginning, why didn't you just get it exchanged for a new one?

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Thats a horrible experience, i cant find any upsides to the story. Just curious, have you considered loading a different ROM on the device? Although its highly possible to be HW related, there may be a slight chance a different ROM would perform better to adapt with your hardware?

wizzackr

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

with regards to no having sent it in - good question. For one I think it wasn't as bad when I got it. I was on a trip around the world after I got it, so I barely used it - and when I did it was mostly for games. But even then I think the freezing got worse over time.

By March, when I first sent it in, it was so bad I thought I couldn't pretty much use the phone without getting a red face. You know the feeling when you really love a device because it never bails on you? Or that opposite one when you loose trust in a device because of its erratic behavior? Man, I really wanted to love it, as I still think it is one gorgeous phone to hold, but eventually it dawned on me it was the latter, really. After the trip I went to the local store where I got it but they told me I'd better contact NOKIA immediately, as it was out of the two week return period and they themselves would have to send it in.

With regards to the ROM I thought about it but could not find all necessary software to run on my windows 8 machine so I dropped it. Totally unaware of what lay ahead of me at the time I thought I'd better not tinker with the phone and let them fix it...

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

with regards to no having sent it in - good question. For one I think it wasn't as bad when I got it. I was on a trip around the world after I got it, so I barely used it - and when I did it was mostly for games. But even then I think the freezing got worse over time. By March, when I first sent it in, it was so bad I thought I couldn't pretty much use the phone without getting a red face. You know the feeling when you really love a device because it never bails on you? Or that opposite one when you loose trust in a device because of its erratic behavior? Man, I really wanted to love it, as I still think it is one gorgeous phone to hold, but eventually it dawned on me it was the latter, really.

I got it off a local dealer here in Austria. Turned out they got it from Germany, though, as I got it back from o Nokia with a German ROM on it (German transport stuff preloaded etc.).

Few future recommendations:

Buy new phones from official stores (aka carrier stores, amazon, etc.). You want a place that has a good return/exchange policy.
Get phones made for your region. Repairs can be hell otherwise.
Use your phone like crazy for the first few weeks. This helps you find any problems so you can do exchanges if needed.

I always do things. To me, return/exchange policy is one of the biggest things I look for when buying electronics.

wizzackr

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Few future recommendations:

Buy new phones from official stores (aka carrier stores, amazon, etc.). You want a place that has a good return/exchange policy.
Get phones made for your region. Repairs can be hell otherwise.
Use your phone like crazy for the first few weeks. This helps you find any problems so you can do exchanges if needed.

I always do things. To me, return/exchange policy is one of the biggest things I look for when buying electronics.

Couldn't agree more with what you say! But look, I did ordered it through a local retailer - had no idea they themselves got it from Germany. Also, the phone was not available in most stores at the time.

With regards to return/exchange policy I agree, but thought you can't go wrong with NOKIA (probably judging by my experiences with other hardware vendors). I buy a lot of hardware on my day job from lots of different companies. Maybe I blindly launched into this guessing that in 2013 most companies would've gotten the memo on how to not treat you customers. Turns out I was wrong. Last time I had such a horrid support experience was with a 386DX40 board from ASUS in 1995 I guess...

wizzackr

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Worst of all I would so love to get a pureview phone as my next device - but I cannot imagine to ever get myself to spend a single dollar on that company. I hate them for that. Now what am I supposed to do? I find myself hoping HTC does no drop the ball with their next WP device...

wizzackr

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I cannot believe this... Story continues like this: Per advice from those two fellows here I contacted 'Elop', pretty much copy and pasting my rant from above.

Not that I really believed it'd ever work, but... couldn't hurt, right? Ten minutes later (no kidding) I get an email saying - and I copied and pasted this - "Hello there, I am sorry that you have encountered these problems. I will ask my team to assist. Regards, Stephen". This goes out not only to me, but about ten people in CC.

Another half an hour or so later a friendly guy from Customer Care for North West Europe calls me up and asks me about the case and if I knew where my phone currently was. He excused all this mess, promised to look into it and send out a replacement unit *today*.

...I still cannot believe this, to be honest - nice marketing gimmick for sure. I just hope they'll manage to have this attitude tickle down into their support chain. Big thanks also to Ganesh Balan and izik770 from this board for pointing me into this rather unorthodox direction - I owe you a beer!

Last edited:

Weslington

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I hate to say it, but don't get too excited. I emailed Elop about 7 months ago after getting infuriated with my Nokia customer service experience regarding dust, proximity sensor problems, flash problems and overheating. I had exactly the same response from Stephen (if it really is him) and had a call back from their customer service team. Roll on 7 months later (ie. today) and I have had my phone replaced once but have still had the same problems with this unit. I have sent it off for repair 5 times so far, racking up a total of 5 weeks without my phone and each time it has come back with either different faults or the same ones develop after a few days.

I have since emailed Elop several times but he cant be bothered to reply to me any more. Maybe I'll try again with a different email address...

Fingers crossed that you get your issues sorted though, I really hope you have a better experience than me!

wizzackr

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I had exactly the same response from Stephen (if it really is him) and had a call back from their customer service team.

Wow, sorry to hear that - and god no, off course it's not him. To be honest: I'd be rather worried about my stocks if the CEO had time to sit back and answer emails in the morning :D

Have already layed out plan B for me: If the replacement unit has even remotely the same amount of problems it goes on ebay the same day I get it and I won't touch Nokia again. Ever. I had an N95 back in the day and even that sucker collected dust like hell under the display - amongst other issues. After that phone I had already been to the point where I thought: Never again a Nokia phone, but the Lumia 920 tempted me. If this is pretty much the same all over I'm done for good and can only pray HTC and Samsung get their act together with their nextgen WP devices.

...Why do they have the reputation of building quality phones in the first place when every other phone I've ever owned had none of all those problems and the internet forums are full to the brim with tips for workarounds and bugs? Escapes me...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes