Easily Flash any Lumia 920 with full Amber/GDR2 features!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooltaj

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to get Data Sense/GDR2/Amber on At&t TODAY

In Product Support Tool for Store, go online, then Tools, then Firmware Download. Enter product code "059Q6W4", and then click check online. It will pull up the RM-820 for Rogers and download it directly. It's 1.4GB.

Were you able to flash Euro dev using this method, cuz it downloads rogers post-portico, not pre-portico as the original instructions state?

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site

So I changed from the French rom to the other euro dev rom. First thing I noticed was that I wasn't able to connect to the internet without changing the access point settings. Because of this, I wasn't able to log in to my live account during the initial setup. In result of this, I wasn't able to restore any of my previous backups which include my long list of apps. Is there any way to restore my previous backup?

Yeah, this seems to be the caveat no matter which version of the roms you flash for Amber EU rom from this thread or the one claimed to be an ATT developer rom from this thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...umia-920-amber-update-via-rogers-dev-rom.html. Both have same result, you can't get signed into MSFT acct during initial setup to restore backup. And of course theres no way to do it later after changing the LTE settings.

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Update: Back from camping. Sorry for the long wait guys, I should have left the original download links. If you've downloaded rm-820 rogers, and NCS won't give you the option to flash it, make sure that the folder in packages reads "rm-820". Working ROM links coming soon.

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: How and Why I flashed my at&t Lumia 920 with GDR2/Amber

update: Re-uploaded the ROMs to my SkyDrive, please let me know if they work for you. Also added more FAQs, please read them before posting. Sorry for the delay guys.

VisceralMonkey

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

So a few things:

First, the Spanish Keyboard (Spain, not Mexico) trick worked fine for enabling Tethering on AT&T! I remember trying it before but it didn't work, so I'm not sure if I had installed the wrong Spanish or what, but I can confirm it works totally on this ROM.

Second, something you might not notice right away, but by default you are *not* going to have voice/speech recognition working using the Euro roms. Even though English is working fine, you need to manually go to Settings>Speech and select Speech Language even if it's already showing "English United States". So select it, it pulls up the language options and press and hold "English United States" until you see the option to install it. Install, reboot and speech now works.

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

So a few things:

First, the Spanish Keyboard (Spain, not Mexico) trick worked fine for enabling Tethering on AT&T! I remember trying it before but it didn't work, so I'm not sure if I had installed the wrong Spanish or what, but I can confirm it works totally on this ROM.

Second, something you might not notice right away, but by default you are *not* going to have voice/speech recognition working using the Euro roms. Even though English is working fine, you need to manually go to Settings>Speech and select Speech Language even if it's already showing "English United States". So select it, it pulls up the language options and press and hold "English United States" until you see the option to install it. Install, reboot and speech now works.

About the Spanish keyboard tethering... Does that give you free tethering, or does it just let you use paid tethering that wouldn't work otherwise?

VisceralMonkey

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

You don't "pay" for the tethering using this. Normally, with ATT, to activate this feature, you do. Using the Spanish trick, you do not, it skips the sim check and allows you to use tethering. It still uses your bandwidth and counts toward your bandwidth amount, you're just not paying to the "privilege" to do so.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

About the Spanish keyboard tethering... Does that give you free tethering, or does it just let you use paid tethering that wouldn't work otherwise?

only if you have the service in your plan. People on ATT without the proper data plan have tried this with no luck (needs >4Gb plan).

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

You don't "pay" for the tethering using this. Normally, with ATT, to activate this feature, you do. Using the Spanish trick, you do not, it skips the sim check and allows you to use tethering. It still uses your bandwidth, you're just not paying to the "privilege" to do so.

That's awesome, thanks! I will add this to the guide and you to the credits of the guide :D

VisceralMonkey

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

I don't have tethering on my plan, I promise, and it works. I have a 2gb plan. When I use tethering now, it works.

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

I don't have tethering on my plan, I promise, and it works. I have a 2gb plan. When I use tethering now, it works.

Hmm. It seems that mine doesn't work. I have the $30 for 3GB plan, no tethering. when I turn it on, It said to dial 611 to contact at&t.... any tips? I really wanna get this to work.

VisceralMonkey

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Install the Spanish Keyboard. Reboot the phone. Try turning on tethering. That's the exact message I got every time until I did this.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

I have not flashed the EU amber yet, maybe that is another side effect? I know from other posts and myself that it did not add the feature if the plan wasn't 5Gb (I have 3Gb and it is not working). Interesting.

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Install the Spanish Keyboard. Reboot the phone. Try turning on tethering. That's the exact message I got every time until I did this.

Yeah, I've rebooted twice already. I also deleted my other two keyboards, and rebooted twice. I guess it wasn't meant to be.. you're lucky!

VisceralMonkey

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

I swear, it's working for me. I know when I tried this months ago, it didn't. On a whim, since installing this ROM, I installed the Spanish keyboard, rebooted the phone and presto! No message to call ATT, it now allows me to tether. I just used it to tether my Macbook pro with no issues. I have a 2gb plan and do NOT have tethering on that plan.

That is just...so weird. There are two Spanish packs, did you install the Spanish (Spain)one? Not the Spanish (Mexico) one?

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Just to confirm... are you using the French ROM or the Euro Dev ROM? I'm using Euro Dev...

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

juan, I just downloaded the folders from skydrive links in your first post. the NCS file is 151mb, but the 821 and 820 folders contain files of 65kb and 55kb total. Is that correct?

edit, got stuck at the ffu files.
"Sorry, there was a problem downloading this file from SkyDrive. Please try again."
maybe it was still uploading? working now.
cheers

Last edited:

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

juan, I just downloaded the folders from skydrive links in your first post. the NCS file is 151mb, but the 821 and 820 folders contain files of 65kb and 55kb total. Is that correct?
cheers

no, the roms are about 1.5gb each. Could you try to download them again please?

VisceralMonkey

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm using the French one actually! I downloaded it before your ATT guide went up.

If someone else wants to try the French rom and try to get tethering working using the Spanish keyboard trick, I'd be interested to see the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes