820 discharge speed

Diavke

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys, I am experiencing some crazy discharge times with this lovely phone. I mean it can barely last 2 hours when playing games or like 3 hours of surfing. Whereas my 808 easily sports 6-7 hd playing hours and it has smaller battery(I realize that it has smaller screen and res as well, but I mean cmon the difference can't be that huge). Screen is on brightest. I am always on 2G, wifi when surfing. Only background apps are battery and lock screen changer. Anyone else experiencing such short battery time? Any ways to fix it?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys, I am experiencing some crazy discharge times with this lovely phone. I mean it can barely last 2 hours when playing games or like 3 hours of surfing. Whereas my 808 easily sports 6-7 hd playing hours and it has smaller battery(I realize that it has smaller screen and res as well, but I mean cmon the difference can't be that huge). Screen is on brightest. I am always on 2G, wifi when surfing. Only background apps are battery and lock screen changer. Anyone else experiencing such short battery time? Any ways to fix it?

With games, it really depends. Order and Chaos MMO kills my 920 in under 2 hours.

Surfing depends on what your looking at, how often your switching pages, how good your connection is, etc. Most phones I have had drain rather fast when I am on the internet continuously for a couple hours. (I also keep screen at highest brightness setting).

rajeshgy1

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I too was facing some strange battery drop after the Amber update. But cant be sure it is the Amber or apps/app update after that. The issue was the battery would show 100 after charring and then drop to 67% after a few seconds. this was happening for a few days so I stopped, 3G, Tap to wake, still the same. Next was a reboot and it looks like is back to normal.
So greynightshirt has the right idea of restarting after an update/installing apps.
Really like the features of Tap top wake so hope this reboot sorted out my issue and I can turn it back on.
820 rocks :)

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Depends of wich games you are talking about and what sites too.

But according with this blog, even 820 getting better after some updates (includes Amber), that's pretty normal.

I think the 1.5Ghz processor is a bad choice for 1650mah battery. Because my friend have a Lumia 720 and there's a HUGE difference on battery life. HUGE! Something around 30% or more! Windows Phone doesn't need these CPU, that's I can guaratee when I compared with 720. Bad choice from Nokia.

Last edited:

Sourdo

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I have had my 820 for 10 months now and I have only recently noticed the rapid battery drain. This started a few weeks ago as before I had no problems. My girlfriend has the same problem with her new 820. What I did was to get an app to rapidly discharge the battery till it's dead. I did this twice. Something about calibrating the battery to the OS so it doesn't think a half charged battery is 0%. I did not try this on my g/f's phone. Mysteriously both of our phones quit this strange rapid discharge in the last couple of weeks, perhaps some software fix was implemented. I usually plug in my 820 when I go to bed and last night I forgot, I still had 80% battery left this morning! My g/f's 820 went two days before she plugged it in @35% left! So whatever was wrong was fixed. We do not have the Amber update yet. I am very happy with this device.

Sourdo

TheEnzo

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I have been monitoring what the phone / battery does and I've come to the conclusion that WP8, the phone or the battery is LYING.
For instance, disabling a lot of "phone home" style apps and features, I reduced my discharge rate to between 1.5 - 1.9 % per hour.
Then periodically, say about once every 3 - 4 weeks, you get the "massive battery drain" (usually in my case, overnight).
For example, last night, I left my phone, showing about 95% battery. 6 hours later or so it showed 30% - while in standby at night!
I rebooted the phone, still said 30%. I plugged in the charger, in just 1 hour it had gone up by 60 to show 90%! The charger isn't THAT good! I believe a bug misreports the battery level.
Sometimes, turning off the phone and removing the battery, somehow gives you a higher battery level when you start the phone again!
Why is it so hard to get an accurate battery level with WP8 / Lumia 820?

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I did not get rid of the battery apk, I just changed to a different one. The first one I had (rated the best) worked fine until it had two updates then it got twice as big (mb's) and started killing my battery twice as fast. I deleted it and tried another which helped my battery last at least two to two and a half days on a full charge. There are days when I don't use the phone much that it will hold a charge forever almost, its been 12 hours since I charged it and its sitting on 90% right now. For having the TINY battery it has thats pretty good.I won't say which one I am now using because I don't think that is allowed on the forum. But its a winner. fdalbor

pgoelz

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Depending what battery app you guys are talking about, there's no placebo! Only Battery Pro+ don't drain any precious battery juice.
How sure of that are you? Like most other battery apps, Battery Pro+ wants to know my location (I assume to serve up more appropriate advertisements). I have location services turned off, but I wonder if apps can perhaps temporarily turn location services on when they request my location?? I have not yet figured out how to test this theory......

Like many others, I am seeing very inconsistent battery life. If I reboot and then don't touch the phone, I can get around 1%/hour discharge. However, if I do ANYTHING with the phone, the discharge rate will often increase to between two and four percent per hour.... even if I leave it asleep on the table after closing all applications and leaving it in permanent battery saver mode (with WiFi and Bluetooth on, cell data off).

Paul

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Uninstall all battery apps, check background tasks in settings, if you have Amber >> (set highest connection speed to the highest, disable double tap to wake and glance) and if possible set brightness to automatic, also check the screen time out duration

vitkoxy

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Brightness affects battery life MUCH MORE than you could ever imagine. The AMOLED screen consumes so much more battery when it's all white and very bright that setting the brightness to 'auto' is actually a very good idea. Think about it, what colour are the webpage backgrounds usually? That should answer your question. The difference is slightly noticeable even when I change the Wordament colour from blue background template to black.

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Since Amber my battery discard rate has been all over the place. Sometimes it discharges relatively slowly, other times it discharges very quickly. It seems to have no relationship with what I am doing on the phone as well.

The other thing that I have found is that if I power down my phone with say the battery discharged to 70% and then power it back up again then the battery discharge % is maybe down to 90%. I have changed battery monitors a couple of times and they all show the same pattern so it's a battery issue, a phone issue or an Amber issue.

Has anybody else had this sort of issue?

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
How sure of that are you? Like most other battery apps, Battery Pro+ wants to know my location (I assume to serve up more appropriate advertisements). I have location services turned off, but I wonder if apps can perhaps temporarily turn location services on when they request my location?? I have not yet figured out how to test this theory......

Like many others, I am seeing very inconsistent battery life. If I reboot and then don't touch the phone, I can get around 1%/hour discharge. However, if I do ANYTHING with the phone, the discharge rate will often increase to between two and four percent per hour.... even if I leave it asleep on the table after closing all applications and leaving it in permanent battery saver mode (with WiFi and Bluetooth on, cell data off).

Paul

I have similar issues here. Have a look at my previous post.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

Paul

That's pretty normal.

pgoelz

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, in my limited experience so far (owned the phone for about three weeks), I would agree with you totally. Very inconsistent. Interestingly, at present I am getting FABULOUS battery life on this latest charge cycle. So far, it has been 22 hours of standby with extremely light use and I am at 85%. Battery saver is OFF. Cell data is off. WiFi and Bluetooth are on. That is about 0.65%/hour. Totally acceptable for standby as that works out to a bit less than 200 hours. I have even opened all the apps on my start screen and did not see a battery drain spike.

The only thing I did differently was I added the Nokia wireless charging shell and charged till full. Can't see how that would affect anything. Although it DID result in an inadvertent battery pull.

One thing I did notice.... and I have seen this a couple times..... is that the battery stayed at 100% for about the first eight hours of standby. Assuming it was really draining at between 0.5% and 1% per hour, that would indicate the battery gauge is not very accurate. Sometimes it behaves that way and sometimes it starts to drop immediately after taking it off charge. It doesn't seem to be related to restarts or resets.

The lack of any meaningful system information is maddening ;)

BTW, I called Nokia yesterday and asked them what the realistic standby time was and they quoted me 360 hours. But they were unable to say under what conditions that was tested. When I said that I had never heard of ANYONE who got that kind of standby time, they offered to have my phone returned for checkout since it is still under warranty (bought it on Ebay for peanuts and was surprised to find out it was under warranty until the end of the year). When I said that might be a future option but was a bit premature at this point, he offered me a free battery... which I accepted thankfully. We'll see if it is any better when it arrives.

I really like the phone but a phone that can't last more than a day or two tops on STANDBY is not my idea of a reliable phone. It will end up dead when I really need it. I know it is not the usual smartphone use profile, but what I really want is a dumb phone when it is on standby in my pocket and a smartphone when I unlock it. Battery saver seems to at least claim to do that. Would that it did ;)

Paul

Last edited:

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to track down why we have the inconsistent power drain as raised by pgoelz and also myself. It don't think that it is the "battery" apps as they should only be seeing a data area from the operating system / firmware. I always close all the apps when I have finished with them. I only have 6 background tasks running on my phone yet I have this random major battery drain sometimes. Powering down the phone and restarting it nearly always seems to stop the issue which says to me that it is a rogue process that causes it but which one I have no idea. Does anybody know of battery app that monitors down to program / process level. The other thing that I am looking for is an app which will show which processes are running.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon