Model to buy Unlocked for ATT Which will do LTE??

jssmarathon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I am hoping to get a European model 1520 unlocked for ATT as I want Q1 charging and the SD expansion as well as larger internal memory.
Which variant should I be looking for and will it do LTE on att here in us?
hate that ATT is selling an inferior handset.
That is why I left Verizon
THX!

teoami

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Any "European" or "global" variant will not support LTE on ATT. Your best bet is to wait for a Canadian variant or the mythical US variant (non ATT) that supports the bands for Tmobile and ATT (this variant may or may not actually exist.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
The RM-938 supports LTE on band 4. It also supports HSPA on AWS, so it'll work on T-Mobile whether the HSPA is on AWS or PCS.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
HSPA is like 3G+ or "4G" if you're AT&T or T-Mobile in the US.

LTE is the new hotness.

HSPA or LTE can both work at AWS frequencies (1.7ghz uplink/2.1ghz downlink). On AT&T, they use AWS for LTE. They DO NOT use AWS for HSPA.

The point is, the RM-938 supports everything the RM-940 does (plus HSPA on AWS, and 2.6GHz), as far as I can tell. Both phones support LTE on either AT&T or T-Mobile. LTE isn't the issue. The issue is HSPA support on T-Mobile if you don't live in an area where T-Mobile is switching their HSPA on AWS to PCS (1.9GHz) (which they are doing to roll out LTE on AWS). The RM-940 supports HSPA on PCS because AT&T already uses that for HSPA themselves.

So as far as T-Mobile is concerned, if you have the RM-940 unlocked, if there is no T-Mobile LTE in your area, and/or there is no HSPA on PCS in your area (likely related to the LTE), then you're looking at EDGE.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes