What quality is the photo preview?

Sam Baker

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello!

I've just recently got my 1020, I love it, I'm new to Windows Phone, I've been on iPhone since it's inception. When I take a photo on the 1020, and view it straight after, is it showing me the 41mp (or 34mp perhaps) version or the 5mp version? In settings it's set to take both 5mp and 34mp. But it seems as though the quality of the photos is quite low, especially when you zoom in a little! I'm still trying to work out if there's an improvement when I export it to the computer, maybe this is something to do with viewing it on the phone? I used the HD Photo Viewer app, I didn't notice a difference but maybe I will after a take more photos.

Any tips on producing a less-grainy night shot? Maybe auto isn't brilliant in dark environments and I should switch to manual settings to get less grain.

Any thoughts, let me know!
Sam

liamjanin

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
HD photo viewer, when i last used it, cant view the full res 38mp photos. You need to use nokia camera to take the full res shots. To view them in full res you have to open them using nokia camera. If you tap on the "captured by nokia camera" when viewing the photos in the gallery it will open it. There you can zoom in a lot.

For night shots, they are grainy because of high iso. You can try lowering the iso as much as possible and increasing the exposure, but you will need to use a tripod or something steady for that. Sometimes its just too dark. What looks a lot better than flash is if you have another light (another phone) and illuminate whatever you are shooting from a different angle. Gives your photos more depth than the flash right next to the camera.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
HD photo viewer, when i last used it, cant view the full res 38mp photos. You need to use nokia camera to take the full res shots. To view them in full res you have to open them using nokia camera. If you tap on the "captured by nokia camera" when viewing the photos in the gallery it will open it. There you can zoom in a lot.

For night shots, they are grainy because of high iso. You can try lowering the iso as much as possible and increasing the exposure, but you will need to use a tripod or something steady for that. Sometimes its just too dark. What looks a lot better than flash is if you have another light (another phone) and illuminate whatever you are shooting from a different angle. Gives your photos more depth than the flash right next to the camera.

So when we open the Camera Roll, is the picture on that album is the 5 mp or 34 mp version?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, its neither. Windows Phone saves a low resolution preview which you can zoom into and manipulate to a small degree but the file you see is only a preview. Any pictures taken are saved separately. If you click the link in my signature you can find a more in depth explanation in the first post.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon