Stains on my Red Lumia 920

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi! My phone has this "water like" stains at the back. Do you guys know how to remove them?

The picture is not really that clear but it has white spots all over the polycarbonate shell.

photo (2).JPG

It's not really bothering me that much but if there's ever a way to remove it I'd be really glad. Thanks in advance!

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
They don't protrude at all as in, they aren't chips in the gloss?

Any idea what caused them?

No they're not chips in the gloss.

Well I have a theory that it may be caused by being on a case for a long time since my iPod touch (fourth gen) before did the same thing but that was metal and this is polycarbonate so I assumed that they would react to cases differently.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Man, that phone looks rough. Not sure those kinds of stains can be removed. You could try some denatured alcohol. There is also that stuff that gets rid of lime build up. All else fails get out the Easy-Off.

Warning: Easy-Off may damage your phone further. That's some harsh stuff. Works great for cleaning tile however.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Man, that phone looks rough. Not sure those kinds of stains can be removed. You could try some denatured alcohol. There is also that stuff that gets rid of lime build up. All else fails get out the Easy-Off.

Warning: Easy-Off may damage your phone further. That's some harsh stuff. Works great for cleaning tile however.

I think it's permanent. :( I don't know what happened but damn.

I bought it used, really good for the price with warranty until March 2015 (limited warranty until March 2014 + he bought another 1 year extended warranty) + 2 cc-1043 cases. It's a really good deal and no issues on the phone so far.

It's not really bothering me but if I could really clean it out I really would.

MAkhdar

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My friend has a Cyan 920 and the same happened to him and he had a case on as well. He hasn't been able to remove them, so maybe its the way the polycarbonate reacts with the case?

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
My friend has a Cyan 920 and the same happened to him and he had a case on as well. He hasn't been able to remove them, so maybe its the way the polycarbonate reacts with the case?

I guess so. Aww I hope I could clean it. Let me just visit Nokia Care to ask some advice. Thank you guys!

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Search the forums for CC-1043 case related stains. That was quite the outrage for us owners a few months ago, when seeing the official case was causing this.

My red Lumia 920 has gotten its back all full of stains, too :(

Drack648

May 23, 2013
Visit site
My white 920 has those stains on the back as well... AND I also have 2 CC-1043 cases... So yeah... Didn't know an original case could do that :(

Last edited:

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
So it really is because of the case? I'll try to go to Nokia Care to ask them "at least" how to clean the back shell but if they offer a back shell replacement then it would be better :)

I will update you guys later

Jonah Travisano

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I also have a red lumia 920 that I have kept in the case from Nokia and have just noticed those same "water marks " on the back on my phone...What a Bummer... I kept it in the case to keep it nice and now it looks all flunky. I have tried cleaning it was a bunch of different products ...from alcohol 90% to window clean and everything in between, but no luck.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
the only way to get the "stains" out of the PC is to heat it above its melting point (~150C). That is not impossible though if you take the case off and carefully heat it. On the other hand - due to internal stress in the case itself it may warp considerably and therefore a form has to be inserted to prevent it from doing that. Another option is to make it matte altogether by carefully polishing it (also with the housing off).
The best option to me is to replace it with another housing. I recently purchased a red housing from ebay for $25 and I am very happy with it:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/225333-7.htm#post2249454
it includes the charging coil and is easy to change.
cheers

Titaniumgiant

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
its the moisture that causes those "stains" moisture and then friction. Try using the kitchen wipes. Clorox has those new wipes that are for kitchen grease removal as well. I would suggest use that and don't wiple the lens part the plastic part, just buff it out and see what happens. It should come off I would think

Tube Visions

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah!! buy a new replacement backing and then put it back in a orginal Noki cover and you got the same spots again! Great solution for resellers Nokia. :unhappysweat:

Skynetz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I guess so. Aww I hope I could clean it. Let me just visit Nokia Care to ask some advice. Thank you guys!

What did they tell you ? I have the same problem and don't know what to do. I won't buy a new phone casing because the OFFICIAL Nokia case did this. It's a shame for them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon