Data being used even on WiFi? Data Sense claims it is

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed since owning my 1520 I've been burning through data a lot quicker than I did on my 920. Data Sense claims I've used up 3.14GB of "Media Streaming" data in 2 weeks. My internet plan doesn't renew my 6GB of data until the 22nd and somehow I just received warning from my carrier I've reached 80% of my limit today.

The part that confuses me most is I'm connected to WiFi 90% of the time. Friday I checked my Data Sense app and I had 1.63GB data remaining. I left my house for 4 hours Saturday for a birthday and while I was gone I used Nokia Drive for about 10 min and exchanged a bunch of text messages. I've purposely been conservative while away from WiFi yet somehow my phone still managed to use 1GB of "Streaming Media" data without my knowledge and while on WiFi.

How is this possible and why should any data be used while on WiFi? I guess from now on I'll have to disable my data connection at home but then I won't receive text and voicecalls. Anyone have any ideas?

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed since owning my 1520 I've been burning through data a lot quicker than I did on my 920. Data Sense claims I've used up 3.14GB of "Media Streaming" data in 2 weeks. My internet plan doesn't renew my 6GB of data until the 22nd and somehow I just received warning from my carrier I've reached 80% of my limit today.

The part that confuses me most is I'm connected to WiFi 90% of the time. Friday I checked my Data Sense app and I had 1.63GB data remaining. I left my house for 4 hours Saturday for a birthday and while I was gone I used Nokia Drive for about 10 min and exchanged a bunch of text messages. I've purposely been conservative while away from WiFi yet somehow my phone still managed to use 1GB of "Streaming Media" data without my knowledge and while on WiFi.

How is this possible and why should any data be used while on WiFi? I guess from now on I'll have to disable my data connection at home but then I won't receive text and voicecalls. Anyone have any ideas?
dude I have the same issue but to a lesser extent. I'm nursing 3gb data on an at&t plan. I find I'll be connected to WiFi but choose to download an album with Xbox music and it downloads over cellular data. Granted the WiFi from my area in the house is weak. But if its connected, cellular data shouldn't even be a thought!

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a sneaking suspicion from something I vaguely remember reading some time ago that the phone will jump to 3G data if the WiFi signal is too weak or gets interrupted.

Of course, it does this silently, without telling you...

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Well I have auto upload for pics and vids set to wifi ONLY so that can't be it. I have Xbox music disabled just because I don't use it so that's not it either. I primarily use these apps at home: Break.com, MetroTube, Facebook, Fuse (for rss feeds), Fhotoroom for some occasional browsing of pics, and I play some games. I have some live tiles obviously but I can't see those raking in a gigabyte of data in 2 days.

The only thing I can think of is that while wifi claims to be one in some instances at home, it really is not. Either that or I have a data leakage through some specific app. Can you believe that my total usage in Data Sense right now is?! Disregard the app downloads as I downloaded a couple large games over the last few weeks.
wp_ss_20140113_0001.jpg

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine burned through 1.5 GB somehow......i don't have data sense to keep track tho.

I'm coming from a 200mb plan ( now have 2gb shared) and I've never used more than 800mb in a month on my 920. And that was all intentional cellular data use

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Mine burned through 1.5 GB somehow......i don't have data sense to keep track tho.

I'm coming from a 200mb plan ( now have 2gb shared) and I've never used more than 800mb in a month on my 920. And that was all intentional cellular data use

Same here, my 920 never had these data issues. I'm almost concerned I need to speak to my carrier now to increase my monthly data limit. Somehow 6GB isn't enough?! One idea would be to turn on battery saver mode. I assume this would disable data through cellular and allow it through wifi only?

EDIT: Been doing some searching online. I've read similar complaints from users. Seems like others have complained that wifi will disconnect and use data at times but it will still show that you're connected to data. The only way to be completely safe is to disable and re-enable wifi.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...r-data-when-wi-fi-celular-data-avaialble.html

Last edited:

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Same here, my 920 never had these data issues. I'm almost concerned I need to speak to my carrier now to increase my monthly data limit. Somehow 6GB isn't enough?!

yea my wife was like wtf did you burn through 1.5 GB in a few days on.........i was using my phone just like I did my 920, I am on WiFi at work and at home, which is where I am 90% of the time

I was excited we jumped up to a 2gb shared plan to use visual voicemail and not have to constantly switch data off and on for mms and seeing as I was on a 200mb limit I am pretty frugal to data use otherwise........so much for that dream lol

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
yea my wife was like wtf did you burn through 1.5 GB in a few days on.........i was using my phone just like I did my 920, I am on WiFi at work and at home, which is where I am 90% of the time

I was excited we jumped up to a 2gb shared plan to use visual voicemail and not have to constantly switch data off and on for mms and seeing as I was on a 200mb limit I am pretty frugal to data use otherwise........so much for that dream lol

I think we'll have to disconnect and reconnect our wifi just to be safe before heavy usage from now on or until we get a fix. I may call Nokia about it in the next few days.

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
there is an option in the wifi settings that keeps wifi connected even when the display is off

if that box is not checked then your phone will revert to cellular data every time the screen goes black

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Cool I guess I can try that. Though it's silly I should even have to do that.

And yes that checkbox to have wifi always on is checked off...

Anders Lund1

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I am experiencing the exact same thing on my phone Lumia 620 - for the last couple of days I've burned through 3GB of data which I normally wouldn't even manage to use throughout an entire month and the battery get's drained within few hours. I don't have any auto backup running - the phone is constantly on battery saver. As mentioned by other users Data Sense also claims that the Streaming Media is the big user. My phone is now complaining about 'limited space on the phone' which I would think is also an indicator that it's obviously not online backups being uploaded rather it's something unknown being downloaded.
I have tried using a program called Fiddler2 to track the phones connections via wifi through my laptop Monitor Windows Phone. Which works and shows any connections you might have. The problem however, is that the huge data consumptions and battery drain only occurs when when the cellular network is 'on' and the wifi is 'off' - the opposite does not cause any huge downloads via wifi.
So atm I can track data via wifi, which doesn't show any abnormalities in connections and data downloads.

Should it be that some cloud downloads might be the cause of it - I have recently updated my windows 8 OS on both my computer and laptop to windows 8.1. I don't know if Skydrive now has some odd syncing going on.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

very important, who's your carrier?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon