Battery after Black update

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been doing a little bit of experimenting. I used the charger that came with my 1020, 1.5A output model is AC-60U. After the battery lasted about 11-13 hours, I tried my Samsung Galaxy S4 charger, 2A output and I got about 13-15 hours of the same medium usage if not a little more.

The battery on my phone only drops when I use it. It rarely even drops more than 3% with no use an hour. But using it, it'll drop 5-15% after 15 minutes of usage. I can't use my phone because I need it to stay alive, but I need to use it for work and keeping in touch with people.

My questions are as follows:

Is the S4 charger better?

Will the charger hurt my phone later in the phone's lifespan?

Will a USB extension cable lower the charge coming through to the phone? IE - I have a 5 foot USB cable plugged into the wall charger then that is plugged into the USB end of the phone cable. Will I get the same charge using this extension cable than if I wasn't?

If I plug my phone charger into an extension cord, will I get the same charger versus being plugged right into the wall?

Thanks guys! Appreciate your input and assistance!

Senrir

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Uninstalling the battery app should do it. If not, do a hard reset and dont install that app ;p.

From an electrical engineers viewpoint, the current rating of the charger shouldnt affect the battery's discharge rate. It would only effect the charge rate / time due to lower Power input. However, charging faster (hence, higher current rating) degrades the battery life faster. (higher trickle charge slope)

Hope this helps.

Senrir

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Can you explain more? I don't follow fully.

As a reference, from your main post: 1.5 A vs 2 A charger ratings.

Lumia 1020's battery voltage is constant at 3.8 V, with the capacity at 2000mAh.

Charge time can then be calculated as follows: 2 Ah / (Current Rating in A) = x hrs
This means that the higher current rating (amps) you use, the faster you charge.

However, higher current (amps) introduces higher losses (proportional to current squared). These losses are felt as heat; thus higher temperature. Higher temperature means that the Chemicals in the battery are more "excited", which causes battery degradation over time, - and even more battery losses -> battery discharges faster after the charging is done.

To simplify: Its better to use charger with lower current rating. (1.5 A) :)

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
As a reference, from your main post: 1.5 A vs 2 A charger ratings.

Lumia 1020's battery voltage is constant at 3.8 V, with the capacity at 2000mAh.

Charge time can then be calculated as follows: 2 Ah / (Current Rating in A) = x hrs
This means that the higher current rating (amps) you use, the faster you charge.

However, higher current (amps) introduces higher losses (proportional to current squared). These losses are felt as heat; thus higher temperature. Higher temperature means that the Chemicals in the battery are more "excited", which causes battery degradation over time, - and even more battery losses -> battery discharges faster after the charging is done.

To simplify: Its better to use charger with lower current rating. (1.5 A) :)

Awesome, thanks so much! I have a 1.3A and 1.5A charger. Would it be bad if I use the 1.5A one night then the 1.3A the next? I'll be using the 1.5 more. But would the 1.3 be best?

Senrir

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Awesome, thanks so much! I have a 1.3A and 1.5A charger. Would it be bad if I use the 1.5A one night then the 1.3A the next? I'll be using the 1.5 more. But would the 1.3 be best?

Nah, it should be okay. But using the 1.3 A charger should be better long term. Im using a 0.75 A one my self. (The Qi charger)

Senrir

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
So I shouldn't need to buy another 1.3A charger? I can stick with the 1.3A and 1.5A?

Yeh, you can use the ones you have no prob :).

The battery degradation can only be seen long term (speaking years). And the heat difference between 1.3A and 1.5A isnt that high.

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeh, you can use the ones you have no prob :).

The battery degradation can only be seen long term (speaking years). And the heat difference between 1.3A and 1.5A isnt that high.

Question again.

Is it bad to let my phone charge over night? I usually go to sleep at midnight and wake up around 8-9AM. Is it bad if I let my phone sit on the charger that whole time? Should I try to charge it before I go to sleep then take it off the charger when I go to sleep and charge it in the morning again when I wake up? My phone will go down to 95% in less than an hour of being off the charger. It lasts me 10-14 hours, but it just seems like if I plug it back in and charge it to 100% and take it off once it gets there, it'll last 13-16 hours. What should I do?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital