AT&T not letting me unlock - what should I do?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
So I filled out the unlock request form on AT&T's website for the locked Lumia 920 I've been using on Red Pocket for the past year and a half and the request was denied. I know they're more-or-less criminals but they shouldn't be able to get away with this. Reaching them by phone is impossible, since it ends in a recording asking you to dial 611 from your AT&T carried phone (which won't work since I use a different carrier, Red Pocket). Should I go into an AT&T store? Will they even be able to help me?

Any tips would be appreciated.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Here's AT&T's customer care number: 1 (800) 331-0500. I would suggest calling them and telling them the details of your situation. They should and will unlock your phone.

Don't go into an AT&T store...most people in those stores really aren't trained in WP devices at all, judging from the few I've been to.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Here's AT&T's customer care number: 1 (800) 331-0500. I would suggest calling them and telling them the details of your situation. They should and will unlock your phone.

Don't go into an AT&T store...most people in those stores really aren't trained in WP devices at all, judging from the few I've been to.

Thanks, but that number simply does not let you talk to an actual person unless you are currently using AT&T. Even pressing 0 repeatedly doesn't get you to a human. Incredibly frustrating.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
It should. I can call from a landline and be able to talk to a representative. It depends on what time you call that line as well. Are you in the US?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
It should. I can call from a landline and be able to talk to a representative. It depends on what time you call that line as well. Are you in the US?

Yeah I'm on the East coast. If I put in my phone number, of course it doesn't recognize it since I'm not a current AT&T customer. If I choose not to put it in, it takes me to other irrelevant options and a loop. Nothing takes me to a rep. I'm calling from my cell. Do I have to do it from a landline? What options are you pressing after dialing?

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Do what the above post says or dial it on a landline. It'll work the same. The objective is to get a human on the line by any means, so go either route.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you both, I tried that and it said that their "center is currently closed." Surprised, thought they'd be open 24/7 for new business. Anyhow, I'll try from work tomorrow during regular hours. I appreciate the help.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
And a 45 minute phone call later, still no dice. I called the sales department so I can speak to an actual human. They said they don't unlock phones and that I have to call customer care or go into an AT&T store. I asked them to transfer me to whoever handles that. It took me back into the enter your phone number or dial 611 loop. I called sales back, explained what happens and asked them to transfer me to an actual person in the department that handles unlocking.

I got through, asked to have my phone unlocked and explained that it wasn't working online. She asked why and I told her just what the request denial said ("account information does not match"). She put me on hold for about 15 minutes after I gave her my IMEI and explained that its a 1.5-year old phone that was bought off contract and used with a pre-paid service. She said maybe that's why it isn't working. Only thing I can do is re-submit the request. I told her that really doesn't make any sense, this phone is paid in full and AT&T gives Red Pocket permission to use its network and phones, that's why I've been able to use it for 1.5 years on there. She said the best thing to do would be to get Red Pocket to re-submit the request on my behalf, and that my only 2 other options are to resubmit the request myself or have her resubmit it online for me. Wtf?

AT&T sure does like making sure nobody does business with them in the future. After purchasing 3 locked, off-contract Lumias from them in the past, this is certainly the last time I give AT&T my money. The previous 2 were unlocked with no problems.

dnmartin98

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Do it in chat on their website but with the international care team. Tell them you are traveling overseas and want to use it. You shouldn't have any problems. I've unlocked all three of my my 920s while still in contract through the international team. The last three were unlocked about 7 months ago. Prior to my 920s I've unlocked my old Samsung Focuses too while still in contract as well through the international team. Post back and let us know how you get on.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Do it in chat on their website but with the international care team. Tell them you are traveling overseas and want to use it. You shouldn't have any problems. I've unlocked all three of my my 920s while still in contract through the international team. The last three were unlocked about 7 months ago. Prior to my 920s I've unlocked my old Samsung Focuses too while still in contract as well through the international team. Post back and let us know how you get on.

That probably worked because you're an AT&T customer but I'll give it a go, thanks.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I'd say the "nightmare" continues but that's a little too dramatic for trying to unlock a phone. The annoying inconvenience certainly continues though. Way too much to type, but long story short: following what I did in the previous posts, I decided to use my lunch hour to head to an AT&T store. I explained my situation and they had me call customer care from the store, though I explained to them that I already did that. They could tell I was pretty ticked off but I remained as polite as possible, knowing it's not the fault of the associates in the store. The customer care rep said "we'll get this resolved in this phone call sir," though I knew not to get my hopes up considering it's AT&T.

After a lengthy conversation and wait, the rep told me I have to call the GoPhone department. What? But I don't use GoPhone. "But they're the ones that handle this sir." I knew I was being fed bull****. Called GoPhone (still in the AT&T store), and of course I couldn't get through to a human. It took me through the same enter your phone number or dial 611 loop. Told the store associate what happened and that I can't get through to GoPhone. He said "just press 0 all the way through" in a bit of a smartass tone. I told him I tried that, it doesn't work. So he dials himself and noticed that it doesn't work and gives me an "oh.."

After several more phone calls by the store associate it turns out, of course, that GoPhone has nothing to do with my situation. The only solution I was given once again was to try again online. The associate said the problem is that I'm not an AT&T customer. I said then what do you call someone that buys an AT&T phone? And uses a carrier AT&T lent its network to and allows to use its locked phones? I told him I had no problem unlocking AT&T phones I payed for in full in the past. We submitted another request online from the store. Five minutes later it was rejected because not enough time had passed since my last request to unlock the phone.

To say I'll never do business again with AT&T is obvious, but my choices now are to just sell the phone locked and forget about it, or hold onto it and pursue a lawsuit (which AT&T certainly is no stranger to). I certainly don't appreciate being extorted, and at this point it's about the principle for me. I'm going to post to a few other forums as well, 1) to gauge opinion and 2) to help make sure as many people as possible know exactly what happened and avoid having the same done to them.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
That sucks. There should be no way in hell they should be allowed to do this. I hope you find a solution to your problem.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Isn't there a law related to that? I thought I recently heard about some sort of ruling where carriers can't do this.

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
So I filled out the unlock request form on AT&T's website for the locked Lumia 920 I've been using on Red Pocket for the past year and a half and the request was denied. I know they're more-or-less criminals but they shouldn't be able to get away with this. Reaching them by phone is impossible, since it ends in a recording asking you to dial 611 from your AT&T carried phone (which won't work since I use a different carrier, Red Pocket). Should I go into an AT&T store? Will they even be able to help me?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Just curious, why are you trying to unlock it if your staying with your current carrier? You no longer need to in order run Developer preview (if that's your intent). Just thinking may not be worth the head ache (and yes I cant stand AT&T either, once my contract is up in December I'm gonzo, but running WP81. Developer preview in the mean time).

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
That's the reason I changed my buying habits. I just buy international unlocked versions. Don't care about the frequency bands. I do a search on the bands and if they give me H or H+ what usually happens I go for it. Forget about the carriers exclusivity. That's Bull%#$@ and they usually remove features from the phones. Also you end up paying more for the phone when you sign a contract. I buy the phone unlocked for let's say $500 and I use it in the carrier I want with the plan I want. In two years I pay less than getting the phone from the carrier for let's say for $199.99 , having to sign a contract and having to pay a fortune every month for the plan.

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I definitely hear ya. I'm done buying on contract. Just interested g to hear others reasons. House I dig come off as condescending or smarta**.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes