sending full res pictures

Mel 34

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
To start off with, sorry if this has been asked and explained multiple times.

How do I sent a full resolution picture, (or short videos), taken on my phone and saved in my camera roll as a text and or email? Also, are the pictures I view in my camera roll the full 20 mp the camera is supposed to be taking?
I was told that if and when I send pictures I've taken they will only be sent in 5mp. I've also sent some friends short videos recorded on my phone, through text messages, and they've said that the vids are very blurry and don't come out well. (I never had a problem with video quality in vids, or the picture quality in the pictures, sent from my old Iphones). Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Just long press on the image you want to send in the photo hub and choose share. I think the 5mp thing is when you upload to Skydrive automatically, it cuts down the image to save data being used loads in the background. Even then it should be fine when connected to Skydrive via WiFi if you have settings adjusted accordingly.

Your videos should not be blurred, that is worrying. Assuming you start recording at the right iso (ain't gonna change iso mid shoot) and you have the right res selected and the light level is suitable and you don't shake about (high iso needs more stabilisation of course) then you should not get blurred videos. Make sure you know how to shoot a digital camera and that you can't be accused of doing it wrong, then take your camera to a Nokia Care Point and show them these blurred videos. They will then fix the phone for you.

Mel 34

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
They get compressed by mail. Text, I don't know. How do you send big videos by text anyway???
You could upload to OneDrive and send the link

By short videos I was referring to something in the 20+- second range.
Shoot, last fall during bow season I recorded a small doe under my tree stand walking around for at least a minute to a minute and a half on my iPhone. I then immediately sent it to my brother-in-law, in a text message, who was hunting a few acres away. The video came out clear on his wnd when he received it.
I don't know if its the difference in my old iPhone and my 1520 but, if i try to send a vid over 5-10 seconds long as a text message the video quality drops of drastically every second longer the video is. I trimmed one vid I sent to my brother from 25 seconds to 12 seconds because it was so blurry he said he could hardly see what the vid was. Even after that he said the 12 second version was still a little blurry.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Weird. It would be pointless for the phone to compress the vid for texting because you pay a flat rate for texts anyway. That is unless there is a max size in the SMS protocol which all phones have to abide by and WP just has to compress it to fit as opposed to rejecting outright, still better to reject than to send a corrupted vid costing one money for expensive multi-media sms messaging and then sending a pointless message.

Mel 34

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
So long pressing on a picture in the camera roll and then clicking share vs touching the paperclip icon, while in the message app, then attaching a picture from the camera roll makes a difference if a 20MP picture is sent or a 5MP picture? Basically all I'm looking for is the ability to send 20MP pictures the camera takes as text messages and short HD vids as text messages. Email really isn't an option. None of my friends or family, my self included, use it for anything.

Mel 34

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
In which country you can send large files via sms msg? In Germany it is not possible. It is called mms and very poor quality

I live in the US and I believe a picture or video sent as a text message is a mms.
Since my first smart phone, an iPhone 3 up to the iPhone 5s I had till I got my 1520, I've never had a problem with the video quality from videos I sent or received from friends as text messages, (mms). I dont think would have anything to do with it but pretty much everyone I know has an iPhone so any SMS or mms text messages I used to send or receive came or went to another iPhone. I do know that since I got my 1520 that if I send a vid to someone the quality isn't the greatest and I received a video from my wife of our dog last week, (iPhone 5s), and the quality when I watched it was horrible. I can't figure it out.

henkepalmquist

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
A Iphone adops the video to Iphone screenres, so if you send a iphone video to a iphone it will look great.
The Iphone compress the video to a certain screenres and size, it goes after a set of rules that makes the video lose information first and then video quality if you send iphone to iphone.
A Windows or andriod phone just free compresses the video to fit the limit of the mms.

Think of it like;
Compressed Iphone to Iphone,
Ride Along (2014)
Size: 1.44 GB
Quality: 1080p

Compressed Iphone to WP,
Ride Along (2014)
Quality: 128p

Open,
Ride Along (2014) BR
Size: 25 GB
Quality: Bluray

Open,
Ride Along (2014) DVD
Size: 4.7 GB
Quality: DVD

Mel 34

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
A Iphone adops the video to Iphone screenres, so if you send a iphone video to a iphone it will look great.
The Iphone compress the video to a certain screenres and size, it goes after a set of rules that makes the video lose information first and then video quality if you send iphone to iphone.
A Windows or andriod phone just free compresses the video to fit the limit of the mms.

Think of it like;
Compressed Iphone to Iphone,
Ride Along (2014)
Quality: 1080p

Compressed Iphone to WP,
Ride Along (2014)
Quality: 128p

Open,
Ride Along (2014) BR
Size: 25 GB
Quality: Bluray
en,
Ride Along (2014) DVD
Size: 4.7 GB
Quality: DVD

Well, that solves that. Thanks for the video clarification. Do you know how the pictures work? If I text someone a picture, a mms, will they get the 5MP version or the 20MP version?

Mel 34

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't think you can send the full resolution photos from your phone without first downloading them to your computer. Check this article which I assume also applies to the 1520 as well.

How to backup your high resolution AT&T Nokia Lumia 1020 photos and get 50GB of free cloud storage | Windows Phone Central

Thanks for the info.

This seems crazy. I understand the reasoning behind not allowing full resolution pics to be sent as a mms but the Iphone 5S allows 8MP pics to be sent, and if the new Galaxy 5S allows pics to be sent at 16MP in a mms text, that's just another reason for someone to knock a windows phone. I can hear my friends and family now, "your phone might take better pictures but you can't easily share that high res picture. The only picture you can post or send to us without uploading it to a computer first is a 5MP pic that our phones cameras surpassed years ago."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital