520, 521, Moto G or wait? Need a little advice...bias or not please

barbaro123

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
So Ive been an Android guy for a few years and played around with a friend's Windows 521 last week. I loved it! I was shocked at how easy it was to use and how much fun. I only spent about 20 minutes but it made an impression. So now this week, my Android died and Im looking for a device. I work at Target so I get a pretty nice discount. I can grab a 521 for $72.00 or a 520 for $63.00. I dont know with 8.1 phones coming if this is a stupid time to buy one of those or not. I can also grab a Moto G for $90.00 and stay with Verizon.

I know this is a Windows forum but with the new update I dont know if those phones and old and useless, hence the cheap price, or if Im overreacting to 20 minutes of fun. I do need a phone so any thoughts would be great. Im a social network, Facebook and streaming music person primarily. Thanks!

Snazrael

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Only real downfall of the 520 or 521 is that they don't have a camera flash or front facing camera. But all current Windows Phone 8 devices will be upgradable to Windows Phone 8.1. Plus, 8.1 will let you install apps to the SD card making the 8gb of space NBD.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You won't get much encouragement for Android here, but I'll put in a plug for the Moto G. It's a brilliant budget device, if you don't mind Android. Its performance is at least mid range, with a budget price.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
So Ive been an Android guy for a few years and played around with a friend's Windows 521 last week. I loved it! I was shocked at how easy it was to use and how much fun. I only spent about 20 minutes but it made an impression. So now this week, my Android died and Im looking for a device. I work at Target so I get a pretty nice discount. I can grab a 521 for $72.00 or a 520 for $63.00. I dont know with 8.1 phones coming if this is a stupid time to buy one of those or not. I can also grab a Moto G for $90.00 and stay with Verizon.

I know this is a Windows forum but with the new update I dont know if those phones and old and useless, hence the cheap price, or if Im overreacting to 20 minutes of fun. I do need a phone so any thoughts would be great
. Im a social network, Facebook and streaming music person primarily. Thanks!

Well if your just good with FBook and music streaming you may be happy.
I have a 521 and listen to Rhapsody quite a bit great phone for that.
Facebook I can't say because I don't have an account.

If your not an app person then maybe one of the 5XX phones would be good especially at Target prices.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The 520 and 521 are the same phone essentially. However, the 521 is slightly taller so some accessories may not fit properly. (only has one color option too) But the biggie is that it is for T-Mobile/metroPCS and are meant for those networks. The 520 is for AT&T (comes in black, but the shell can be swapped). (and is otherwise the same as the international 520)

So your decision would be sculpted by what carrier you would use.

The Moto G is more expensive ($100 on VZW I believe though, but otherwise costs more) but offers a more fleshed out featureset in general and better specs. In terms of raw value, I'd say the VZW Moto G is the one to beat. but if you want to try WP, you could always pick one up on prepaid to demo and sell it later should you decide Android is more your style. Just give it a shot.

Worth noting none of those are exactly speed demons, but they aren't decrepit quite yet and won't be for some time.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My vote is for a used 820. Can be found for less than $100. The flash and front camera are worth the little extra.

he's right you know (morganfreeman.jpg)

if you can snag a higher end model for cheap pre-loved, it can potentially be a fine option.

jiovine

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Based on my experiences with the MotoG, 520... Moto G is not a finger print magnet, better glass, access to all your apps your used to. Downfall of CDMA MotoG is 3G but 4G on GSM. Only 8GB available on CDMA vs 16GB on GSM.

I would give the 520 a shoot..for <$70 you can give a windows phone a try and not be out a ton of money. Plus you get expandable memory via sd, 4G, updateable to 8.1. if you want more phone you can always get the 925 for ATT or Tmobile on new egg for around $200 without a contract and get LTE, bigger nicer screen and wireless charging option.

Win Phone is like liquid crack, once people actually use it, they are hooked. I dumped a nexus 4 for the 520...then moved to 925...and now a 1020. Dumped iPad and nexus 7 for 2520. Nokia makes some great hardware but their software kicks ****.

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I think rather than comparing hardware, you should be looking at the differences in the operating systems. What works for you? If you constantly use Google's service, such as search, gmail, youtube etc. and you are unwilling to change services or adapt to using those services in a different, possibly less easy, way, then I'd say stick with Google. If you are happy to try out something new, that's smooth, comes with its own set of services provided by Microsoft (they're not as bad as they used to be), then try a Windows Phone. I'd say try a 520 for $63 and if you don't like it, resell it on ebay or amazon for just about the same. Then if you feel the hardware of the 520 does not suit your needs, go for a higher-end model.

I do want to stress though, that you'd be better off with a 620/625 or higher if you like listening to music as their audio chipsets are of better quality and you'll also have the option to use an equalizer, which you don't get on the 520 as the audio chipset is subpar. I know I said don't compare hardware, but this is an important point if you listen to music a lot. At high volumes, my 520 does sound a little tinny, even with very decent Coloud headphones.

I know this is a Windows forum but with the new update I dont know if those phones and old and useless, hence the cheap price, or if Im overreacting to 20 minutes of fun. I do need a phone so any thoughts would be great. Im a social network, Facebook and streaming music person primarily. Thanks!

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
That all depends on what you use.

Most of the major apps are available, such as facebook, twitter, instagram etc. For music there's plenty of choice such as spotify (which I find a bit rubbish), deezer, xbox music etc.

I've seen that some of the posts mention 4G for the 520, please be aware that the 520 has NOT got 4G. Neither does the 620. In the low price range it's only the 625 that has 4G. I'm unsure about the 521 as I am in the UK.

Im assuming that apps are the downfall of Windows Phones?

Lu520

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
All Popural Social Network Sites and Messaging apps are there in WP Store.

If you love listening the music or playing different video formats you may not satisfy with L520/L521 when compared to Android devices for sure.

Except that d best phone at the given price :)

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I am a proud owner of a 520 yet I would say for $90 get a Moto G.Its an amazing piece of hardware at such a low price.520 is also pretty good but $70 vs $90 its an easy choice to make.Moto G is the obvious answer.

TheWPFan

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
The biggest difference between the 520 and the Moto G is price ($50 vs. $100 locked), and OS (WP and Android are very different) I really like WP: live tiles, cortana, the overall ui, etc. However, there is a lack of apps. Yes, some of the big names like FB have their apps, but it seems to me that less than 1-out-of-10 big name with apps for iOS or Android are available for WP. e.g., there's no official YouTube app. (or anything Google other than search) e.g., there's a TuneIn app, but most radio stations' apps are only iOS and Android.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
The biggest difference between the 520 and the Moto G is price ($50 vs. $100 locked), and OS (WP and Android are very different) I really like WP: live tiles, cortana, the overall ui, etc. However, there is a lack of apps. Yes, some of the big names like FB have their apps, but it seems to me that less than 1-out-of-10 big name with apps for iOS or Android are available for WP. e.g., there's no official YouTube app. (or anything Google other than search) e.g., there's a TuneIn app, but most radio stations' apps are only iOS and Android.

True, I use the Nokia radio app anyways, seems to work the best...or Songza is great as well
A lot of it is preference, personally, I like WP 8.1 over android (and I have an android tablet)

F3niX

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I have 520 and Moto G and i seriously love both!
Moto G Is slightly heavier but better constructed. 520 is lighter and a bit fragile..
Cam Quality - Moto G is better in low light, but with ample lighting, 520 can equal it.
Software and Performance - Moto G Is years ahead!
Battery Backup - Pretty much the same, though the 520 charges faster. Moto G lasts 2 days with moderate use, but with my Heavy use I get 3.5-4Hrs SOT.

My Suggestion - Moto G if you can afford it!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster