Disabling navigation bar

arbu khan

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
M.S should provide option too hide navbar in 630,too its too irritating nav bar always on screen during playing games r watching videos

Tornado92

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Reserved doesn't mean that it cant be used for anything else

see this and thats my 630 in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVmbrWJQio4
Direct3D content such as video will not be resize by the navigation bar because it is rendered by the hardware itself, not the software. But as you can see, the layout of the control of the video app is affected by the navigation bar (it is positioned as if the space taken by the navigation bar doesn't exist, proof that the space of the navigation bar is reserved).

See the documentation from Microsoft here :Layout and the Windows Phone navigation bar (XAML)

As to why the navigation bar is able to hide when playing from the Files app and not in the Video app, that's because the Files app is not using the Video app to play the video, it's using a unknown app called "Music Backstop" (you can see it yourself by going to the app switcher when playing video) which probably based on the old Xbox Music+Video app that was replaced (but not removed from the OS) by two apps, Xbox Music and Xbox Video.

Xbox Music + Video.

The old app probably couldn't handle the navigation bar as the way it should be as it was discontinued even before navigation bar came with Windows Phone 8.1.

anon8959613

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
L630 was 8.1 out of the box.

and also the files app seems to utilize the full screen so im good with it

only if other apps had also worked out some way to hide the navi bar as at times it gets frustrating ... i mean accidentally hitting the touch controls while playing games.

aurelian177

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Navi bar hiding works when playing recorded videos within the picture menu-camera roll, independent of the file app. Or maybe they use the same code (not an expert). Anyway, I don't think MS will release an update for L630/635 to enhance user experience. We must buy a hd res phone with software rendered nav bar (ex. L730/735 or 830).
Me AV

RobDude16

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
What a joke :(

I bought a new Windows Phone today because I really enjoyed Windows 8 and 10 on the desktop. I'm a C# developer so I'm already heavily invested in Microsoft technologies and I really wanted to see windows phone be great. After 15 minute of setting up the phone/getting apps updated I try to watch a video - and I'm stuck with those damn buttons at full brightness.

The first thing my wife said was, 'Don't those go away?'

No, no they don't. We couldn't believe it. Now, for local content, you can download the 'File' app, and use that to magically play the video without the bar (which, despite some of the nonsense posted in this thread, clearly show that there is no technical limitation preventing this....it's possible). But for everything else - like Netflix - there doesn't seem to be any way to do this.

Not only am I taking this phone back for an Android, everyone that I've shown it too (my wife, and two co-workers) can't believe that there is no way to hide the buttons. That's four people who are convinced Windows sucks on the phone. When you've got 1-2% marketshare - you need to be able to wow other people when you show off what your phone can do. It's disappointing, both because I *almost* love this phone, and because I want to see Windows succeed.

Maybe someone should sell an appropriately sized piece of plastic tape owners of these 'smartphones' can purchase to strategically block out the buttons?

anon(9152079)

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Wow, how much hate in that little heart. :winktongue:

It's just one thing in the whole ecosystem. I know, it pisses me too, but I'm not that pissed to get another phone.

BTW, a question for those who has downloaded Win10:
Does the bar hide in Win10? If not, fill requests in the insider app. Lets show Microsoft how much this sucks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon