Issues with Lumia 1520

Westarmy

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi there all,
I received my lumia 1520 on wednesday and I am very happy with it! Got WP 8.1 DP Woo! However unfortunately I dropped it about a foot high by it slipping out of my hand, fortunately no screen/lens damage even no scratches on the glass despite sliding down on its front! However managed to get a dent and scuffs above the camera lens, call me OCD but this is bugging me! Should have bought a case! Should I be aware of any internals that may have become damaged i.e. OIS,

I have noticed 2 issues one is with screen brightness the other with the battery, I heard raving reviews of 2 day medium-heavy battery use from this phone and I barely get just over a day with light-medium use, which is more power hungry? 2G, 3G or 4G oddly I found keeping it 3G uses less power than 2G despite 2G having higher signal strength.

The brightness issue is where placed on automatic brightness and I go out, the screen looks artificially bright so say if I look at notification centre, the boxes become light grey with poor pixelated-like text on each box and looks horrid! Is this a bug or a hardware issue because in my opinion it doesn't know when to stop its brightness!

I also noticed another thing... Battery, here this out, this one is really weird!!! Basically I had an exam as I am a college student, I handed my phone off! And my teacher had wrapped it in Kleenex tissue and placed it into a drawer! When I returned the phone turned it self on and managed to regain battery charge over that time I was away and I thought to myself whats happened here, there's no evidence of it being plugged in or used, so any reasons as to why this happened???
I've attached pictures of my dent, pictures of brightness issue and snapshot of the battery becoming weird!

wp_ss_20140606_0001.png
WIN_20140606_175128.JPG
WIN_20140606_175331.JPG
WIN_20140606_175348.JPG
WIN_20140606_175403.JPG
WIN_20140606_180142.JPG
WIN_20140606_180143.JPG
WIN_20140606_180250.JPG
WIN_20140606_180251.JPG
WIN_20140606_180252.JPG
WIN_20140606_180254.JPG
wp_ss_20140606_0001.png

Sorry for shameful quality used a webcam :angel:

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Right well as for the scratches and should have got a case, it is a bit like locking the stable door after the horse has bolted.

The battery, two things here, 1)the phone is new and will take several charge cycles to get to full strength and 2)8.1 uses a lot of battery for the first couple of days.

The brightness is due to you having "Sunlight readability" on. Go to settings and then down to display and you will see a toggle to turn it off.

Forgot to say loose that battery app as it is a battery hog.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the 1520! If you get a case, it will likely cover up the chipped backing. I believe you can also get replacement parts from a number of sources, including a device-back cover. I don't have the skills or nerve to crack open my 1520, but others successfully have, particularly when modifying the wireless charging elements to Q1. It seems a common experience to have battery-life instability for the first few days after upgrading to 8.1. There are also battery life tips under the native battery app. If you have a lot of live tiles constantly updating, or a number of email accounts constantly polling, battery life can be impacted. Sometimes apps install default to having live tiles switched on, so it can sort of sneak up on you. For me, it doesn't make sense to have so many apps live-updating, particularly when I have to scroll down to get to the tile anyway. You might have to tweak your wifi settings also, as it could be casting about looking for hotspots, causing a battery drain.

Every once in a great while I have an unexplained screen dimming, but it cleared by opening and closing a few apps. As for the puzzling discrepancies in displayed battery life, I know some of the third-party battery monitoring apps automatically update periodically, say every 15 minutes. So in theory, you are charging for a time before the battery app updates its display and under those circumstances, you would have more battery life than currently shown.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
My 1520 also shows the time since last charge incorrectly occasionally. I think it's just a developer preview issue.

When you dropped your 1520 did you damage the camera? I couldn't really tell from the pictures. If it is damaged, dive it's only two days old, it probably would be best to have it sent to Nokia care to have it replaced. To perfect it from any future drops, it probably would be best to get a case. I had the Belkin one and it's horrible to try to take it out of the case of you want to. I returned that after a week and got a better case from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H5...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2578256
It's cheap but it's really good for protecting the camera and it's super easy to take out when you want to.

Westarmy

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Right well as for the scratches and should have got a case, it is a bit like locking the stable door after the horse has bolted.

The battery, two things here, 1)the phone is new and will take several charge cycles to get to full strength and 2)8.1 uses a lot of battery for the first couple of days.

The brightness is due to you having "Sunlight readability" on. Go to settings and then down to display and you will see a toggle to turn it off.

Forgot to say loose that battery app as it is a battery hog.

Thanks for your replies, From what I read the modern phone battery doesn't require you to fully charge it so I charged first time to about 100% after that I kept it charged to about 90% as I thought was sufficient and never let it below 15% however could you advise how to do these charge cycles?
Although I must admit overnight my phone remained at 90%

Welcome to the 1520! If you get a case, it will likely cover up the chipped backing. I believe you can also get replacement parts from a number of sources, including a device-back cover. I don't have the skills or nerve to crack open my 1520, but others successfully have, particularly when modifying the wireless charging elements to Q1. It seems a common experience to have battery-life instability for the first few days after upgrading to 8.1. There are also battery life tips under the native battery app. If you have a lot of live tiles constantly updating, or a number of email accounts constantly polling, battery life can be impacted. Sometimes apps install default to having live tiles switched on, so it can sort of sneak up on you. For me, it doesn't make sense to have so many apps live-updating, particularly when I have to scroll down to get to the tile anyway. You might have to tweak your wifi settings also, as it could be casting about looking for hotspots, causing a battery drain.

Every once in a great while I have an unexplained screen dimming, but it cleared by opening and closing a few apps. As for the puzzling discrepancies in displayed battery life, I know some of the third-party battery monitoring apps automatically update periodically, say every 15 minutes. So in theory, you are charging for a time before the battery app updates its display and under those circumstances, you would have more battery life than currently shown.

That may explain it however the battery was no where near a charging port it was weird however ill remove the battery app as advised. I'd stick with the 2 year warranty than dismantling due to the dent haha, I'm a bit OCD because its brand new only had for two days and already dropped disappointing 😞

My 1520 also shows the time since last charge incorrectly occasionally. I think it's just a developer preview issue.

When you dropped your 1520 did you damage the camera? I couldn't really tell from the pictures. If it is damaged, dive it's only two days old, it probably would be best to have it sent to Nokia care to have it replaced. To perfect it from any future drops, it probably would be best to get a case. I had the Belkin one and it's horrible to try to take it out of the case of you want to. I returned that after a week and got a better case from Amazon:
AceAbove Nokia Lumia 1520 Case - Protective Stand Case for Nokia 1520 [Black]:Amazon:Cell Phones & Accessories
It's cheap but it's really good for protecting the camera and it's super easy to take out when you want to.

The camera lens is immaculate no scratch at all, I am absolutely surprised by this because the camera sticks out and was expecting it to be damaged. And I've ordered a hybrid cover from ebay for ?2.99 which includes a screen protector, I'm hoping the cover comes soon to protect the camera that's what worries me haha. Also like to add the camera works fine so far!

Also one more thing when in play asphalt 8 does the phone supposed to heat up? Sometimes uncomfortable to touch due to the heat expelled but surely its a modern quad core which should be handling asphalt with ease compared to the 920 besides isn't the lumia 1520 better able than the galaxy s5?

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Also one more thing when in play asphalt 8 does the phone supposed to heat up? Sometimes uncomfortable to touch due to the heat expelled but surely its a modern quad core which should be handling asphalt with ease compared to the 920 besides isn't the lumia 1520 better able than the galaxy s5?

Mine heats up too when playing Asphalt 8. It's a high-end game and even though the 1520's a high-end phone, it's still pretty tasking on the CPU (technically GPU I guess).

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Again that could be down to it being new and you just installed 8.1

If you want a battery app that is not a battery hog then try 'Cal'

Could you provide a link to it? I just searched "Cal" in the marketplace out of curiosity because I thought that was a strange name for a battery app. All I found were calendar apps and other non-battery apps.

Westarmy

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Annoyed with Amazon 3rd party seller.

Here is the jist of it:
- Ordered the phone on 29th May, received on the 4th of June. To ensure it wasn't an import I checked the Nokia website, said warranty valid.
- Amazon product description states it is dispatched from within UK
- Asked the seller for an invoice for proof of purchase for having evidence should something go wrong and also evidence for insurance company
- Seller can only supply the non-VAT invoice, therefore would happily refund my ?60 due to the unfortunate circumstances
- Checked again with the Nokia website for warranty it states out of warranty!
- Contacted seller asking if there is a standard EU Warranty, I shall assume no but awaiting their response.

I really like this phone and have organised it to my liking with the styles etc! But need advice:
- Should I return the phone for hopefully a full refund and knowing Amazon they have an excellent system in place!
- I can purchase at least a 1 year warranty but must pay excess using that ?60.

I'd also like to state I did drop the phone by accident and has a small scuff above camera lens, visible at angles but not if you look at it with a glance.

So please advise guys and gals! Thank you!
My IMEI[INFO]358342053071795[/INFO]

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Could you provide a link to it? I just searched "Cal" in the marketplace out of curiosity because I thought that was a strange name for a battery app. All I found were calendar apps and other non-battery apps.

Sorry, stupid moment on my side. Yes cal is my calendar app, the battery app is 'insider pro'

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Annoyed with Amazon 3rd party seller.

Here is the jist of it:
- Ordered the phone on 29th May, received on the 4th of June. To ensure it wasn't an import I checked the Nokia website, said warranty valid.
- Amazon product description states it is dispatched from within UK
- Asked the seller for an invoice for proof of purchase for having evidence should something go wrong and also evidence for insurance company
- Seller can only supply the non-VAT invoice, therefore would happily refund my ?60 due to the unfortunate circumstances
- Checked again with the Nokia website for warranty it states out of warranty!
- Contacted seller asking if there is a standard EU Warranty, I shall assume no but awaiting their response.

I really like this phone and have organised it to my liking with the styles etc! But need advice:
- Should I return the phone for hopefully a full refund and knowing Amazon they have an excellent system in place!
- I can purchase at least a 1 year warranty but must pay excess using that ?60.

I'd also like to state I did drop the phone by accident and has a small scuff above camera lens, visible at angles but not if you look at it with a glance.

So please advise guys and gals! Thank you!
My IMEI[INFO]358342053071795[/INFO]

I think you should contact Amazon about this. I think that seems like the best way to go.

Westarmy

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I think you should contact Amazon about this. I think that seems like the best way to go.

Seller stated they offer a 1 year limited warranty, but final question was where do I return should it be faulty. If it's back to Hong Kong, then I'm definitely returning the phone and buy it elsewhere.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon