Unlocked AT&T 920 won't register with network

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I have an AT&T Lumia 920 that I got unlocked over the net.

When I do the ##7820# it shows the status as SIM unlocked.

With my Fido SIM inserted upon boot is says Network Unavailable. Go to Settings --> Cellular --> Network Selection --> Scan for Networks, the phone "sees" Fido, Telus and Bell networks, but it will not register with them.

##3282# to enter the field test.
On my 1020, in the Field Test --> LTE, Sys Mode = 4 - LTE
On my 920, in the Field Test --> LTE, Sys Mode = Invalid

Any thoughts on what to do to get this 920 up and running? And, I do happen to have yet another 920 around, which might be used for parts if necessary.

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
This is how it looks under settings in field test mode on my Rogers 920, try to check if it's the same for you.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140613_0002.png
    wp_ss_20140613_0002.png
    93.1 KB · Views: 3

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Any idea what the "Toggle ENS" does? On my 1020, like yours it is turned off. On my 920 it was turned on. I switched it off, cycled the phone, and still no love.

I'm going to pull the antenna out of the other phone that I have, swap the two and see what happens.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Turn it off and reset your phone. One thing, these settings are through the firmware and a hard reset or a firmware flash doesn't sometimes revert it back to how it should be, good luck!

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Finally got a chance to try swapping out the antennas. That did not fix the problem.

I just did a full reset, and no joy their either. I think it may be pooched.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
An update on this. It turns out the problem was the SIM card reader on the mother board. I purchased a replacement part from a vendor online, and took it to the local cell phone repair shop to have them use their hot air soldering iron to replace the part. I think there are something like 9 blind connections to the board on the back of the reader, so using a traditional soldering iron is pretty much out of the question.

However, the tech made the observation that all that was most likely needed was to "refloat" the SIM solder connections, and not an outright replacement of the part.

So, in future, if someone is having a similar issue, I'd try that first. A soldering iron with a fine point tip and apply heat to each of the connections on the SIM card that is already on the board in succession, will probably fix the issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills