Cracked Screen Nightmare :[

SkezzaShredder

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Well so far this has been a nightmare so I really hope some of you guys/gals can help me. I need it.

My girlfriend has a Lumia 920. She dropped it the other day and unfortunately for her, it landed absolutely plum on the face and, you guessed it, smashed the screen into pieces. Made a right mess. I phoned the local Nokia Service Centre and was disappointed to find they wanted about ?120 to repair it. Another shop quoted ?105. Both these were going to do a full LCD and Digitizer replacement, and outright refused to replace just the glass alone.

We found somewhere cheaper who said they would happily change the digitizer, this is where the problems begin. They claimed to have experience working on iPhones, iPods, Samsungs, all sorts of phones and reviews were good, no reason to disbelieve them. We dropped off the phone yesterday (Tuesday) morning yet within half (in fact, by the time we were home), it was done, which felt a bit rushed.

Got the device back and there's a number of issues. For one, I think he's used a fake digitizer. The screen response is okay, but not as good as before. The Nokia logo in the top right seems, I don't know, slightly different, like fatter letters. There are visible lines where the in-glass circuitry is (Something I never saw on the old digitzer) and the light doesn't seem to get through as good. There seems to be like a dark grey-blue tint to the glass which is preventing all the light from getting through. I don't get the rainbow effect. Most weird, if you try to unlock it by pressing the power button, it takes 5 seconds before you can swipe up if that makes sense? Normally, you can just swipe up instantly, but there is absolutely no response from the screen for roughly 5.5 seconds at which point you can unlock and to be fair, the screen responds and acts normal once unlocked. Temporarily, my girlfriend has turned off the screensaver but this isn't a good solution as it'll murder her battery if she forgets to lock her phone. The screen precision isn't exactly brilliant either and there are issues with the soft buttons at the bottom.

There are other issues such as light bleed from the bottom right of the screen. Once, I restarted it and the screen wouldn't respond at all until I restarted it again. Another time, I came to the phone after it had been on charge for a few hours and it was haywire, clicking all over the place randomly without me even touching it. There is also a tiny spec of dirt underneath which isn't ideal.

I have phoned them back and he's happy to look but insists he did not use a fake screen claiming they don't exist. Now I know they do, I checked on eBay and they're widely available for very cheap.

Are there any ways to detect a fake screen? Perhaps a diagnostic tool? Or something to look out for? I know there are ways once inside the device but I'd rather not take it apart as I reckon they'll know if I've had it apart.

Alternatively, are there any software ways to fix the unlock delay issue. I think my girlfriend could live with the poor response and disappointing tint to the glass if the unlock delay wasn't there. The software is Lumia Black.

Thoughts? Opinions? Help :(

SkezzaShredder

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to head into a phone shop now. I think the Nokia logo is where the truth lies. The N is much fatter as is the O. The A has an absolutely tiny spot in the middle which isn't like Nokia, it's normally a well defined triangle.

I'm not happy, I think I'm going to ask for my money back (which they won't be happy about I'm sure) but they have to understand this is completely inadequate. If they have a problem, we'll offer to pay the cost of the screen or perhaps half, but to call this a repair is shambolic. Their motto is No Fix No Fee. Well this isn't a fix. It's arguably worse than before. At least she could use the phone despite having a smashed digitizer.

I'd rather get it back and I do it. If I'd known it was that easy, I would have done it myself, gah :(

SkezzaShredder

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Just keep your cool while there. I wouldn't pay more, point to their motto, ask them to remove it, and go to one of the other shops, if your willing to throw more money at it. Is a cellular shop or repair shop on the way to the **** shop so you can have other proof than a bad Nokia stamp?

What do you mean? Are you asking if they have negative reviews? Not really. There's lots of good reviews, especially about Apple products which they seem to have a great reputation in. There's also evidence of Samsung, HTC and LG. The only company I haven't noticed is Nokia but let's be honest, phone repair is much of a muchness, if you can do it, you can do it, if you get me?

I genuinely believe they had used a genuine part the phone would be perfectly fine. It is their fault for using a cheap aftermarket part which, if this forum is to be believed, is probably not compatible with the newest WP.

The best solution for me, would be for them to fit a genuine screen, but he's plugging the line that it is and I don't believe he will back down. As such, the next best solution is for him to **** off and leave me to do it. Not ideal being without a screen as dust and dirt can get in, but I might take some cling film round in case he does demand the digitizer back.

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
That's what you get, an *** done job for something never to be done on quality screens, change only the glass or the digitizer. That's why you can't find them "genuine" because they reach the market already assembled with the lcd. Why on earth going cheap on sonething like that...

SkezzaShredder

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
That's what you get, an *** done job for something never to be done on quality screens, change only the glass or the digitizer. That's why you can't find them "genuine" because they reach the market already assembled with the lcd. Why on earth going cheap on sonething like that...

Thanks for that really... useful (?) piece of information. While I'll admit I made a mistake, I'll stand by my remarks that ?120 for a screen replacement is extortionate.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that really... useful (?) piece of information. While I'll admit I made a mistake, I'll stand by my remarks that ?120 for a screen replacement is extortionate.

It is a bit pricey imho.

If you don't mind me asking, where is the location of the shop that carried out the 'repair' job?

SkezzaShredder

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
It's in Stoke on Trent England.

Went back yesterday, he tried to get it to work but admitted there was a fault. We decided to ask for a refund which he obliged obviously removing the screen first. As expected, he did buy a fake screen which is annoying because I'm in no doubt if he had bought a genuine screen I wouldn't be here complaining about it.

Anyway, going to do it myself now. Bought a genuine screen, repair kit, and some specially cut self adhesive. There's other reasons I'm not happy with the place which is why I didn't want to give them a second chance.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It's in Stoke on Trent England.

Went back yesterday, he tried to get it to work but admitted there was a fault. We decided to ask for a refund which he obliged obviously removing the screen first. As expected, he did buy a fake screen which is annoying because I'm in no doubt if he had bought a genuine screen I wouldn't be here complaining about it.

Anyway, going to do it myself now. Bought a genuine screen, repair kit, and some specially cut self adhesive. There's other reasons I'm not happy with the place which is why I didn't want to give them a second chance.

Glad you got a resolution from the shop.

Good luck with the repair. Hope it works out.

SkezzaShredder

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure it will. I've done a few repairs. In fact, was replacing the sim card tray on a Galaxy S I9000 last night. Sure I'll have no problem and the little repair kit will be useful in the future :D

Just remember kids, don't buy a fake screen, buy a real one. You might save yourself a whole ?7 buying a fake one, but look at all the problems it causes.

SkezzaShredder

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
OK, well the fake digitizer bought by the shop is this one:
DIGITIZER TOUCH SCREEN LENS GLASS FOR NOKIA N920 LUMIA 920 REPLACEMENT | eBay

I have a feeling they're just these (Replacement Front Touch Screen Glass Digitizer Lens For Nokia Lumia 920 HYSG | eBay) being sold from UK distributors.

I spotted it when he logged onto is eBay so I can confirm these above are complete dog****. There is also a problem with the front camera and these screens but we won't go into that, just keep well away from anything fake or non-original.

I've gone for this:
Screen: New Replacement Touch Screen Digitizer Lens Touchpad Glass for Nokia Lumia 920 | eBay

Adhesive: Nokia Lumia 920 Touch Screen Glass Digitizer Black Bonding Adhesive Seal Glue | eBay

Toolkit:
NEW Mobile Phone Repair Tool Kit SET FOR Nokia Lumia 900 920 925 928 Icon | eBay

I have been assured the screens are OEM and his feedback suggests he has sold dozens without a single negative comment. Hope this can help :)

SkezzaShredder

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
OK, I had a go at repairing today. The biggest issue I've got is with the bonding adhesive. It seems to raise the glass a little bit more than I would have liked. I have no idea what the best way to flatten it is, but the glass is raised by about a mm. Is it worth me putting it under a bunch of heavy books and hoping it seals flat?

I suppose I could do it again, it's only taken me about 2 hours and if I did it again I could probably do it in much less but obviously that adhesive is quite thick and perhaps a thinner glue might have worked better :(

SkezzaShredder

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
OK, tried disassemble and take away some of the bonding adhesive, hasn't made much difference to the glass height. I think anyone else who attempts this should avoid the bonding adhesive I bought. It's too thick. It needs to be significantly thinner. I don't even know whether it's necessary have such thick bonding adhesive when something like double sided tape would have done as good a job I reckon. Although there's a chance of light bleed when using something clear.

SkezzaShredder

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
OK a quick update. The soft keys aren't lighting up. Anyone know what the most likely cause is? Do they have independent LED's or do they scavenge light off the LCD panel? I'm a bit annoyed, I thought I'd done everything correctly. What could be causing them not to light up? Do the digitizers have a strip of adhesive or something blocking the light getting through possibly? Also, is it possible it's a defective digitizer? How best can I test this?

Thanks,
Joe

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
OK a quick update. The soft keys aren't lighting up. Anyone know what the most likely cause is? Do they have independent LED's or do they scavenge light off the LCD panel? I'm a bit annoyed, I thought I'd done everything correctly. What could be causing them not to light up? Do the digitizers have a strip of adhesive or something blocking the light getting through possibly? Also, is it possible it's a defective digitizer? How best can I test this?

Thanks,
Joe
First check the broken digitizer it it has the leds connected to it. I have seen S4's with separate leds not attached to digitizers. However if it's attached to the digitizer try removing it and connecting it to your new digitizer, if it's built in you probably got a bad digitizer.

Also try using a heat gun or hair dryer to loosen the glue that holds the glass and maybe the leds, but don't apply too much heat

SkezzaShredder

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the LED's are meant to be built into the digitizer, which is why I wondered if it worked by scavenging light. Surely it's not on a connector? Like, I haven't missed plugging a connector in? Any help would be really useful. Might have to message the seller.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I feel for you. I have replaced the screen assembly on two 920's. I never try and separate the glass from the digitizer and LCD, because of issues you are having now. They are factory-made that way, so I repair it that way. To replace the whole assembly is really not hard, provided you're used to repairing screens. I'm sorry I don't know the conversion of currency, but an assembly here in the US runs around $60, then tax and labor. I recommend replacing the whole assembly. Good luck.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
not sure whether these are available everywhere, but if my screen broke I would just buy a new or refurbished L920. They came down to $200 for new and $140 for refurbished.
e.g. Nokia Lumia 920 Windows 8 Unlocked Smartphone $140 ... - Ben's Bargains

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Lumia-W...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2657659

there was a place on Amazon which sold the new one for $200. Unfortunately, I can't find that anymore.

in any case. You may end up paying slightly more than what you pay for the repair ($140~?82) but you know it has the original digitizer/lc display on it. I'd never try to replace the digitizer alone. The youtube videos of people showing how it's done were enough for me. The next best thing would be replacing the entire screen as suggested in previous posts.

good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes