Repairing Cracked Digitizer 1520 vs Insurance Claim vs Burning my AT&T Upgrade

aschaps

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm in quite the predicament at the moment. About 9 days ago, after 19 wonderful accident-free months I managed to crack my Lumia 920 screen :unhappy:. Fortunately, I'm one of those fools who doesn't trust himself and pays into this insurance scheme otherwise known as Asurion. So Asurion came through (for only $35, with their new vanishing deductible :amaze:) , rather quickly I may add, and I had a new phone the very next day. However, as the contract's fine print states "equal or better", I was delivered a Lumia 1520 to replace my 920. Definitely a "better" phone, but also MUCH larger. Fast forward to 2 days ago and my week old 1520 took a swan dive out of my pocket and onto the pavement when I sat down in a chair. Now I have a cracked screen AND cracked rear camera glass:crying:.

So my options as I've researched them are as follow:

1. Submit another insurance claim for another 1520, but this time shell out $200 and Asurion drops me.
  2. Have my phone repaired at a shop for $280.
  3. Try the notriously difficult repair job of replacing the digitizer myself for $50 including tools.
  4. Or lastly, cash in on my free AT&T upgrade and once again grab another 1520. This last one bothers me because I was holding out for a 920 sized threshold replacement w/Qi.

So I'm here asking the community at large for a little guidance (and wishes of better fortune). As it stands I'm thinking about going the Asurion route to save my upgrade since I'll be on AT&T's Next plan at that point anyways

Also, I'm historically anti-phone cover, but recent events have me reassessing my position. My 920 took it's fair share of drops, not unlike the one that KO'ed my 1520, without any problems to the screen. Are the 1520's really that sensitive?

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm in quite the predicament at the moment. About 9 days ago, after 19 wonderful accident-free months I managed to crack my Lumia 920 screen :unhappy:. Fortunately, I'm one of those fools who doesn't trust himself and pays into this insurance scheme otherwise known as Asurion. So Asurion came through (for only $35, with their new vanishing deductible :amaze:) , rather quickly I may add, and I had a new phone the very next day. However, as the contract's fine print states "equal or better", I was delivered a Lumia 1520 to replace my 920. Definitely a "better" phone, but also MUCH larger. Fast forward to 2 days ago and my week old 1520 took a swan dive out of my pocket and onto the pavement when I sat down in a chair. Now I have a cracked screen AND cracked rear camera glass:crying:.

1. Submit another insurance claim for another 1520, but this time shell out $200 and Asurion drops me.
  2. Have my phone repaired at a shop for $280.
  3. Try the notriously difficult repair job of replacing the digitizer myself for $50 including tools.
  4. Or lastly, cash in on my free AT&T upgrade and once again grab another 1520. This last one bothers me because I was holding out for a 920 sized threshold replacement w/Qi.

So I'm here asking the community at large for a little guidance (and wishes of better fortune). As it stands I'm thinking about going the Asurion route to save my upgrade since I'll be on AT&T's Next plan at that point anyways

Also, I'm historically anti-phone cover, but recent events have me reassessing my position. My 920 took it's fair share of drops, not unlike the one that KO'ed my 1520, without any problems to the screen. Are the 1520's really that sensitive?

I don't know about more sensitive, but there's definitely about 50% (?) more screen real estate to protect. The size of the screen is what it makes it more vulnerable, that and the fact that the 1520 is thinner than the 920 - more potential for flex (screen & housing) when dropped. I would imagine a (minimal) TPU case would cushion some of that, one that has a lip around the front to isolate the screen, to some extent - plus it'll add some grip to a slippery device.

What to do - I'd be taking Option 1 or 2.

Option 3
is misleading. The digitizer & LCD are bonded together & very difficult to separate without damaging the LCD. That $50 option, just became a $180 (plus tools) for the digitizer/LCD assembly, which is reasonably easy to replace, but, once you factor in tools, you're NOT saving anything, plus opening yourself up to aggravation & potential damage to the phone's working parts.

Option 4 may also be viable - depending on when you'll be switching to NEXT (and since you have an upgrade, avail yourself of it), I believe the 1520 can be had for less than option 1. The upgrade you have may not be available indefinitely - all the carriers (except Verizon) are moving away from the subsidized sales model.

Good Luck on your decision.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site

1. Have my phone repaired at a shop for $280.
    [

1. I would repair it at the shop and save your insurance and upgrade. Yes it is $80 more. Just remember it might take a few days for them to repair it.

Also check out igsmwirelesssolutions.com located in Bellevue Washington

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Option 5. Sell it on Craigslist for like $225 and then buy a used 920 which are still going four around $200 in great condition. Then wait for the next new WP to come out.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
$280 is a little high, but I would go the repair route. If someone brought me a L1520 to fix, I would charge around $235, but I don't have a storefront, which allows me to be more reasonable on my labor rate.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Well, being that you recently broke 2 phones, it's probably not a good idea to make an insurance claim if you know you are going to lose coverage. Personally I would do the following: On your broken phone, if it is going to cost you $280 to fix, it's probably not worth it. However, if you are willing to risk the $50 to try to fix it yourself, go for it. If successful , you can either keep it or sell it for $300 or so and get another 920 or 925 for less. If you are unsuccessful in fixing it, go for AT&T Next, pay the $30 a month and get either a $15 or $25 monthly credit on your bill depending on your data plan. Then after 12 months you will have the opportunity to trade it in for the phone you are waiting for rather than to wait the 2 years if you used an upgrade and you won't have to pay the $200 or whatever it is up front for the traditional upgrade price, only the sales tax instead which is typically under $50.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Sell the broken on one on eBay/Craigslist and buy another one for about $340 or so. PM me and I can put you in touch with someone who wants to sell their 1520 for a reasonable price, heck they also have a 920 at an even more reasonable price:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes