Lumia 830 specs leaked, Sept 4 announcement?

The Lard

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Anyone got a credible insight as to whether these images give anything away about if the 830 supports Qi or not? Is the big black bit NFC?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Anyone got a credible insight as to whether these images give anything away about if the 830 supports Qi or not? Is the big black bit NFC?

The source of the leak claims that there is indeed Qi on the back. On the bad news side, it seems further leaks are confirming the SD400 chip set and not 800.

The Lard

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
The source of the leak claims that there is indeed Qi on the back. On the bad news side, it seems further leaks are confirming the SD400 chip set and not 800.

What are the real-world implications of 400 vs 800? Inferior GPU so I gather, but I'm not really a gamer. Do you think it's likely to make a noticeable difference in day-to-day use of the core OS and basic apps?

Sort of surprising that they've not followed the pattern of 820/920 having essentially the same hardware engine. So currently your only choice for high end hardware (non-phablet) lacks Glance and micro-SD support.

Hope the 830 does have Qi, good effort if so given how thin it is.

dare100em

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
What are the real-world implications of 400 vs 800? Inferior GPU so I gather, but I'm not really a gamer. Do you think it's likely to make a noticeable difference in day-to-day use of the core OS and basic apps?

Sort of surprising that they've not followed the pattern of 820/920 having essentially the same hardware engine. So currently your only choice for high end hardware (non-phablet) lacks Glance and micro-SD support.

Consequencies of using the S400:

• Gaming, because GPU is crap [not an issue for you]
  • Picture-processing-time, because SoC is really a slow one, shoot-to-shoot time will be average at best
  • Multitasking capabilities will suffer
  • open large Apps
  • good chance that support for updates ends earlier because of insufficient SoC (like the 7.x line), at least earlier than e.g. 930/1520
  • Most important (to me): We are talking about a SoC for Moto G/ 630 for a "mid-to-highend" phone not yet out. This SoC is allready slow, but in 2 years it will be just an awsome archaic kind of tech, no way i buy a phone allready oudated. Nobody knows what the future brings and reserves are always a good thing when you don't buy absolute entry level tech like 630/Moto G

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Coming from 820, I will be very interested if it can provide longer battery life. Also this is a quad core processor compared to a dual core used in 820.

Consequencies of using the S400:

• Gaming, because GPU is crap [not an issue for you]
  • Picture-processing-time, because SoC is really a slow one, shoot-to-shoot time will be average at best
  • Multitasking capabilities will suffer
  • open large Apps
  • good chance that support for updates ends earlier because of insufficient SoC (like the 7.x line), at least earlier than e.g. 930/1520
  • Most important (to me): We are talking about a SoC for Moto G/ 630 for a "mid-to-highend" phone not yet out. This SoC is allready slow, but in 2 years it will be just an awsome archaic kind of tech, no way i buy a phone allready oudated. Nobody knows what the future brings and reserves are always a good thing when you don't buy absolute entry level tech like 630/Moto G

dare100em

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Coming from 820, I will be very interested if it can provide longer battery life. Also this is a quad core processor compared to a dual core used in 820.

Which has nothing do do with performance, as long as the software doesen't use the cores. Most apps don't use quads yet, but they indeed use the much higer performance of the two cores of the S4 plus vs. the comperatively slow four cores of the S400.

There are notebook Dual-core SoCs which run circles around every mobile quad and there are chinese octa-core ARM SoC's which doesen't mean they are in any way nearly as fast as a S800.

A S400 is just crap for a phone at the end of 2014 and above 200$, there is nothing that can lower the pain. I would be fine if they bought up the rest of the S600 production at least - all good. But an S400 will be runing 50$ devices soon isn't an option for a "affordable highend phone":angry:

Ilasor

May 7, 2013
Visit site

Battery will last most likely much longer, but both cpu and gpu will be slower than their 820 counterparts.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
No way it is going to be superior to that wall hugger lumia 820 even in terns of cpu nd gpu.lumia 820 is a joke in wp family.most ugly looking wp.nd worst battery life wp.

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
No way it is going to be superior to that wall hugger lumia 820 even in terns of cpu nd gpu.lumia 820 is a joke in wp family.most ugly looking wp.nd worst battery life wp.

Nah anything with 512MB is a joke and as for looks well I beg to differ.
The 820 has been a great phone for me.
It allows me to do everything WP has to offer without waiting unlike the 5/6/7 series.
Heck the 820 still outperforms the newer versions of the 5/6/7 series so unless you have a 9 series or greater the 820 is tons better than the rest of the Lumia Windows Phone range.

AlexOwliver

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The best way to compare these is to look at Daniel's article on the 630 vs 1020 that was posted a few days ago here: Lumia 630 performance benchmarks rival older Lumia 1020 | Windows Phone Central as this is most probably the same SOC as the 830 will have. Two things to note are that the 830 will have more RAM (1 or 2 gb) but also will be pushing more pixels.

As far as I can tell, though the GPU is much lower end than in the S800, it's a good step up for those of using a last-gen phone (920 here with Adreno 225). This has softened my love for the phone a tiny bit (why not the 410 which is starting to go into production??) but if the price is right, and the battery life monstrous, this is still my next and a worthwhile upgrade over the 920.

UPDATE: Aaaaand disregard, as Daniel Rubino says we don't have to worry about it being a S400 :)

Last edited:

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Dude the Adreno 225 (820/920/1020) slaughters the 630 in GPU, look at the graphics benchmark in the link you provided.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

dare100em and AlexOwliver offered good answers. I'd add to that just generally poorer battery life depending on usage. The SD 800 seems to handle video streaming for example with relative ease. Without any real world testing of my own, I think the SD 400 will use up more juice.

If I were you I'd wait for reviews to come in on the device before buying. I wouldn't have said that with a SD800 (or a >10mp camera probably).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro