Lumia denim update for HTC one for windows phone?

Timtcee

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I really want to buy the HTC one WP but I also want the new Lumia denim update with the "Hey Cortana" feature. I contacted HTC they said probably not. but it was just the "chat live" person so I'm not sure if they know for sure.

OuTsYdeR_10

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
You're not going to get a Lumia firmware update in a non-Nokia device. Ever. But, HTC may employ their own update, or one from Microsoft to enable the same or similar functionality.

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
HTC may very well put out an update or updates but you have to remember that this phone is a Verizon phone so God only knows when Verizon would push it out to "their" version of the phone.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Probably HTC will bring something similar to their flagship, no info yet about this.

The big question is, Is Denim a "Nokia" feature, or is this a Microsoft/Windows Phone 8.1 feature...

If this is a Nokia feature, then this could be a Nokia exclusive, if it's a Windows Phone feature, MS has released the SDK for it and now it will be up to carriers and HTC to release it....

and if your waiting for Verizon to release a update for a WIndows Phone device....good luck... The ICON still does not have Cyan yet (official 8.1).... They seem not to rush for any updates, esp for Windows Phone....talk to the Android guys, they will say the same thing about Verizon and phone updates...

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
More than likely, only Nokia devices. Hey Cortana relies on the Sensor SDK and that's only on Lumias with snapdragon 800 processors, so far.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
More than likely, only Nokia devices. Hey Cortana relies on the Sensor SDK and that's only on Lumias with snapdragon 800 processors, so far.

Doubt it. It just so happens that the Snapdragon 800 is the first Qualcomm SoC to include a low power dsp that supports always listening without the battery hit. It is unique to the SoC, not the device. Everything above 800 has it too.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
The big question is, Is Denim a "Nokia" feature, or is this a Microsoft/Windows Phone 8.1 feature...

If this is a Nokia feature, then this could be a Nokia exclusive, if it's a Windows Phone feature, MS has released the SDK for it and now it will be up to carriers and HTC to release it....

and if your waiting for Verizon to release a update for a WIndows Phone device....good luck... The ICON still does not have Cyan yet (official 8.1).... They seem not to rush for any updates, esp for Windows Phone....talk to the Android guys, they will say the same thing about Verizon and phone updates...

Yes, Denim is exclusive to Nokia Lumia. There is no Amber/Black/Cyan firmware on Samsung/HTC/Huawei WP phones.
The software update is available for every (almost) WP as a preview, but the final version comes with a firmware update as well.

bryanibuan

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
You may soon get the Hey Cortana feature if HTC will ever do it in future updates. But you will never receive the Denim firmware update as it is Lumia exclusive. It is their way of differentiation. If you like the camera goodness, go for a Nokia.

nemo7

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
U will not getting Denim but u will get the Cortana Feature because it is Windows Phone feature. Like Cyan , the Cyan update include the WP feature (Notificationcenter, Background etc) and the Nokia Features (Camera improvments, rich recording etc) .
Your life, your choice.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
For this is why MS can't develop features and products as fast and as innovative as we would like. Not to insult anyone but to ask if a NOKIA feature would be installed on a non-Nokia device is like "stupid". For that to happen HTC would have to install Nokia's Camera in their device which would AUTOMATICALLY say that their own dual 4mp/ultra pixel camera isn't what they say it is.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
For this is why MS can't develop features and products as fast and as innovative as we would like. Not to insult anyone but to ask if a NOKIA feature would be installed on a non-Nokia device is like "stupid". For that to happen HTC would have to install Nokia's Camera in their device which would AUTOMATICALLY say that their own dual 4mp/ultra pixel camera isn't what they say it is.

What is stupid is that someone would assume that something that affects Cortana would be a Nokia feature. Your HTC analogy is flawed because it deals with HTC specific hardware.

A hint that this is most likely a WP feature is: Most Nokia phones will probably not be able to use it and hey Cortana is a MS thing. Otherwise it would be hey Nokia. MS may own Nokia's mobility business, but it still is keeping the brand names separate as of right now.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
'Hey Cortana' is a WP feature in GDR1 that requires firmware to interface with the hardware. Nokia hardware that can support it will get it with the Denim firmware update that will be released with GDR1. HTC hardware that can support it will receive it if and when HTC updates their firmware to enable it. Clear?

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Any update to a feature baked into the OS should come from Microsoft, not the oem. Everyone should have access to any updates to Cortana. The fact that these Lumia firmware updates are really coming from MS now anyway makes it even simpler to implement across the board firmware upgrades. The only legit reason any phone shouldn't get any new feature is hardware restrictions.

Yes, I own an HTC One and I'm mad I won't be getting hey cortana.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
'Hey Cortana' is a WP feature in GDR1 that requires firmware to interface with the hardware. Nokia hardware that can support it will get it with the Denim firmware update that will be released with GDR1. HTC hardware that can support it will receive it if and when HTC updates their firmware to enable it. Clear?

This is what I'd initially assumed. Intuitively one would think something baked into the OS would not receive oem specific upgrades. This post threw me off a bit.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
U will not getting Denim but u will get the Cortana Feature because it is Windows Phone feature. Like Cyan , the Cyan update include the WP feature (Notificationcenter, Background etc) and the Nokia Features (Camera improvments, rich recording etc) .
Your life, your choice.

See, this is where the confusion is. It's not Cyan & WP8.1, it's Cyan + WP8.1. What do I mean by that? They came out at the same time, because Cyan depended on WP8.1 for some of the features to work properly.

This is also where you are who supports the OS the most.

So in other words, you need a firmware upgrade from HTC to use the "Hey Cortana!" feature, but the hardware is already there, and Nokia / Microsoft is saying "the feature is ready, use it."

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey bud, while I can sympathize with your anger about not getting "hey Cortana," imagine how I feel. I have the Lumia Icon and I don't even have Cortana at all yet! I could do the Developer Preview buy don't want to chance it. I'm still rockin WP8.0 thanks to Verizon!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes