Nokia 808 ex-users are you happy with your lumia 1020?

Suarez604

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
I've been using the 1020 for about 3 months now and honestly I feel disappointed. Compared to the Nokia 808s camera the 1020 is inferior :(

Windows phone 8.1 is great and I am not sure if it's the phone but I keep getting random reboots and occasionally the screen becomes unresponsive on the lock screen.. If it wasn't for the lack of apps I would be using my 808. I would like to hear what how ex 808 users feel or am I alone?

vraev

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I must say, even without using the 808, I probably overhyped the lumia 1020 for myself. Partly also due to nokia's own marketing. The pics/videos showed video/pics with insanely low noise levels. The lumia no doubt takes great pics, better than my iPhone 5, but for sure, its noise is still an issue.

Cameron Todd

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I love my 808 but its only used as a back up now. Very happy with the 1020. Windows so much smoother then Symbian and I have had no issues with camera at. I find I can reproduce the shots on both phones. All I really miss is USB otg and Ext memo card.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
EXTREMELY happy with the 1020. I love the pictures, the flexibility on what I can do as far as sharing and editing them within the phone, having DNG to work with in Lightroom.

For the little bit I gave up losing the 808, the 1020 has more than made up for it.

Like any other phone I've owned - 808 Pureview, L900, L800, Samsung Vibrant, yes there have been occasions where I've had to hard reset now and then - but not too often on the 1020, and they've made recovering from Hard Reset incredibly easy compared to the past.

One thing that may or may not make your life easier - I don't use the phone software on my PC. All I do there is backup or transfer files in/out of the phone using Windows Explorer.

I loved my 808, but honestly haven't looked back - especially after getting DNG capability and using Lightroom with some VSCO presets.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the 1020 for about 3 months now and honestly I feel disappointed. Compared to the Nokia 808s camera the 1020 is inferior :(

Windows phone 8.1 is great and I am not sure if it's the phone but I keep getting random reboots and occasionally the screen becomes unresponsive on the lock screen.. If it wasn't for the lack of apps I would be using my 808. I would like to hear what how ex 808 users feel or am I alone?

After all the updates the 1020 should be a good enough replacement for the 808.. at least from what I've seen thus far..

check this out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/topolino70/sets/72157634800972694/

those are great samples.. obviously he worked on them, but still.. very good.

I can do almost as good with my 808: https://www.flickr.com/photos/vladoo/sets/72157647381783088/

I am waiting for the next camera flagship.. there has to be one :)

I must say, even without using the 808, I probably overhyped the lumia 1020 for myself. Partly also due to nokia's own marketing. The pics/videos showed video/pics with insanely low noise levels. The lumia no doubt takes great pics, better than my iPhone 5, but for sure, its noise is still an issue.

From the very first images they showed you could clearly see that the IQ wasn't as good as the 808.. the jpegs were simply not as clean. Things got better after the "black" update and now with RAW if you have the time you can make the 1020 images look just as good..

But the 808 has a better sensor, optics, and a more powerful xenon flash. It also has better audio/video recording from what I've seen.

The camera in the 1020 blows away every other camera in a phone. We love using ours.

It doesn't.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
The problem is when you also have to use it as a phone. Here the 808 fell apart for me in its rotten rendering of email messages and web pages. Shame too because I actually warmed up to all other respects of Symbian - I still think the user-machine interface is superior to Windows and Android. I do miss it in a lot of ways. Had Nokia/Microsoft dual pathed and kept Symbian rolling, I would have stayed with the 808 no question. By the time L1020 rolled around I had already switched to the L521 just to get decent phone & communications during the work week, then the SIM card would go into the 808 for the weekends. When L1020 came, I thought the pics were good enough to change. So no, the basic camera is definitely inferior to the 808, but RAW has largely closed the gap and the overall phone experience on the 1020 is much better.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Very happy with my 1020. In terms of image quality, the 808 and 1020 are very close. Where the 1020 has a significant advantage is in lowlight where the OIS becomes very useful. The 1020's main disadvantage is the shot-to-shot speed, but for me that has not really been a big issue. The key is to plan your shots ahead of time. I have happily moved on to the 1020, and although I still keep my 808 there is no turning back for me.

Someone mentioned xenon - I don't think the xenon flash on the 1020 is necessarily weaker than the 808. By default the 1020 appears to calibrate its xenon output in order to use a slower shutter speed, and it is possible to get a stronger output by forcing a faster shutter speed and lower ISO.

Cameron Todd

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
As I mentioned, o have both and have no problem producing pretty much the same quality shots. The main advantage of the 1020 is the ability to quickly adjust settings and also the great editing tools

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Windows phone 8.1 is great and I am not sure if it's the phone but I keep getting random reboots and occasionally the screen becomes unresponsive on the lock screen..
Don't blame the model for that, there's obviously something wrong with your phone.

Either try to reinstall the OS, or use your warrany while you still have it. There's no reason to wait.

On my 1020, WP 8 worked great, WP 8.1 DP worked great until I started using it with a Jawbone Big Jambox, then suddenly the lockscreen become unresponsive, even after I stopped using the Jambox and shut off BT. In the end it started crashing, and then it told me I had to wait for 118800 minutes (82 days) before I could unlock it again.
I had no choice, I went back to WP 8 and uninstalled everything, then installed Cyan, then WP 8.1, then apps. It's been working flawlessly since then.

I miss the startup speed of the 808 camera, how come the 1020 is so slow compared to that?

I also miss the video camera settings. That CAF button in the corner...

The image stabilisator can be heard in recorded videos, so annoying. Anyone else hearing it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon