Orderthe new Surface devicesfor Fall 2021 right here!

07-31-2015 09:52 AM
173 123 ...
tools
    It has the same CPU, Chipset and GPU as the Samsung Galaxy S3.
    Has Microsoft given any explanation as to why they've priced it as double the price of an S3?

I would assume it's a much stronger product when it comes to build quality and of course the operating system has better usability, but does anyone else find it frustrating?
    10-02-2014 03:20 PM
    Has Microsoft given any explanation as to why they've priced it as double the price of an S3?

I would assume it's a much stronger product when it comes to build quality and of course the operating system has better usability, but does anyone else find it frustrating?
    Why are you comparing a mid ranger of 2014 to a flagship of 2012?
    I mean what is happening with these comparisons??
    Of course the ~3 year old flagship will be cheaper than this. Also the S3 won't even get new updates due to hardware limitations,whereas the 830 is guaranteed to get Windows 10.
    Let me tell this too, if you or anyone else think that the S400 is weaker or not powerful,its wrong. It's way powerful than the dual core S4 on the 920,925 etc.
    It's faster in taking pictures heck the 630 is way faster than 920 in taking pics.
    The OS is super smooth and with Lumia Denim,things get way great.
    The rest is up to you but to say that why a 2012 phone is cheaper than a 2014 phone is just stupid. No offense btw
    10-02-2014 03:32 PM
    Older high end devices can be cheaper. It could be a good value, but it depends as always.
    10-02-2014 03:37 PM

A little patience may help. The Lumia 930 had already had around 25-30% of its sim-free price taken off. That's after just a few months.

Admittedly it is weird seeing less than 10 difference in price between the 930 and 830 on Amazon right now, though.
    10-02-2014 03:50 PM
    Why are you comparing a mid ranger of 2014 to a flagship of 2012?
    I mean what is happening with these comparisons??
    Of course the ~3 year old flagship will be cheaper than this. Also the S3 won't even get new updates due to hardware limitations,whereas the 830 is guaranteed to get Windows 10.
    Let me tell this too, if you or anyone else think that the S400 is weaker or not powerful,its wrong. It's way powerful than the dual core S4 on the 920,925 etc.
    It's faster in taking pictures heck the 630 is way faster than 920 in taking pics.
    The OS is super smooth and with Lumia Denim,things get way great.
    The rest is up to you but to say that why a 2012 phone is cheaper than a 2014 phone is just stupid. No offense btw
    Welll, they have the EXACT SAME CPU, GPU, RAM and chipset...
    10-02-2014 05:13 PM
    its not unreasonable to wonder why they aren't priced similarly!
    I'd peg it as simply the market acting, since the GSIII is simply older. (I wouldn't worry about updates as much on the SIII due to its popularity (ROMs!) etc.)
    A couple years ago I picked up a relatively old refurbished ThinkPad that I still carry around to this day. At around the same cost as a bargain-bin new laptop, I still think I've gotten a better deal.
    Also consider the condition of the GSIII, make sure you're comparing new and new.

The Lumia 830 is a new device, the price is bound to go down (thinking of the Lumia 521, which has since dropped to half its launch price. ($140? - $70~)
    Also, the chipset doesn't tell the whole story. Display tech is different etc, so it's likely costs were cut or quality improved in various ways between the devices. Think of the materials used, design, manufacturing methods etc etc.

But even then, as I've said, age can put a sizeable dent into prices (especially as there are newer models like the S4, S5 that take and push down the price of the SIII)
    svknet likes this.
    10-02-2014 06:26 PM
    I think the 830 is cheaper than the 820 when the latter was first launched.
    10-02-2014 11:05 PM
    No they don't... what makes you think that?
    10-03-2014 12:17 AM
    No. As I stated early indirectly,the galaxy s3 has a dual core S4 processor which is found in the 920,925,1020 etc, whereas the 830 has a quad core S400 which is much powerful than this 3 year old chip.
    Trust me , don't just just S400 because its a low number. It's powerful than than what you can find in the other older lumias. The 630,which is a low end phone,has a same processor S400 and the 1020 which has a S4, takes faster photos and has CAF in it. The 1020 doesn't. Even in benchmarks the 630 is equally or at some point more ahead than 920,1020. These latter were flagship of their time but their slow.
    So don't judge it by the processor. Judge it by its performance.

RAM is same that I can tell you for sure.
    xandros9, deadwrong03 and Hoekie like this.
    10-03-2014 04:47 AM
    No. As I stated early indirectly,the galaxy s3 has a dual core S4 processor which is found in the 920,925,1020 etc, whereas the 830 has a quad core S400 which is much powerful than this 3 year old chip.
    Trust me , don't just just S400 because its a low number. It's powerful than than what you can find in the other older lumias. The 630,which is a low end phone,has a same processor S400 and the 1020 which has a S4, takes faster photos and has CAF in it. The 1020 doesn't. Even in benchmarks the 630 is equally or at some point more ahead than 920,1020. These latter were flagship of their time but their slow.
    So don't judge it by the processor. Judge it by its performance.

RAM is same that I can tell you for sure.
    Okay so, I feel like an ***** because I still don't get it...

According to GSMArena, the SIII and the Lumia 830 have the same specs.

Lumia 830 vs Galaxy S3
    Nokia Lumia 830 vs. Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III - GSMArena.com

Lumia 830 vs Galaxy S3 Neo (Exact same specs, except Neo is clocked a little faster)
    Nokia Lumia 830 vs. Samsung I9300I Galaxy S3 Neo - GSMArena.com
    10-03-2014 06:38 AM
    Okay so, I feel like an ***** because I still don't get it...

According to GSMArena, the SIII and the Lumia 830 have the same specs.

Lumia 830 vs Galaxy S3
    Nokia Lumia 830 vs. Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III - GSMArena.com

Lumia 830 vs Galaxy S3 Neo (Exact same specs, except Neo is clocked a little faster)
    Nokia Lumia 830 vs. Samsung I9300I Galaxy S3 Neo - GSMArena.com
    No you don't need to get confused. It's simple.
    Basically Samsung has a habit of releasing their flagship phones in two version, one comes with the Qualcomm chip and the other comes with own made chip, the Exynos.
    The Qualcomm is for majorly for the USA and mostly more other countries whereas the Exynos version is mostly found in their home country,so it might be tough for you to find Exynos version.
    So if your living in USA or Europe etc but not in South Korea, you'll find yourself with a Qualcomm version meaning the dual core S4 processor. The latter will have the Exynos version which is a quad core. That's it.
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-03-2014 06:52 AM
    You should compare L830 with Moto G (2014). They have the same CPU, same amount of ROM and RAM, same screen size and resolution. L830 has a better camera. L830 costs almost twice as much as new Moto G. WTF M$, WTF?
    It is sad that L830 has the SAME CPU as L630. Regarding GPU, Adreno 305 is weaker than Adreno 225 that can be found L820, and it has to push bigger resolution. -.-
    Bodeanicus likes this.
    10-03-2014 07:48 AM
    You should compare L830 with Moto G (2014). They have the same CPU, same amount of ROM and RAM, same screen size and resolution. L830 has a better camera. L830 costs almost twice as much as new Moto G. WTF M$, WTF?
    It is sad that L830 has the SAME CPU as L630. Regarding GPU, Adreno 305 is weaker than Adreno 225 that can be found L820, and it has to push bigger resolution. -.-
    before we jump to screaming WTF, there's more to the cost of a phone than just raw specs.
    There's a whole boatload of factors. Materials used? Subsidized by say, Google? Implementing those specs is different. Durability could vary, etc etc.
    blackprince likes this.
    10-03-2014 07:57 AM
    I know, but TWICE as much? This is the most expensive phone running on S400 - it even cost more than One M8 Mini.
    This phone was presented as flagship, and it is priced like one(10% cheaper than L930), so I expect flagship performance. S400 is a NO-NO. Why didn't they choose S615 which costs about 10% more than S400?

BTW, Moto G isn't subsidized in Europe.
    10-03-2014 08:08 AM
    You know that Motorola is now owned by Lenovo, a Chinese company. Like One Plus, Xiomi and other Chinese companies, they can produce cheap handphones etc.

I know, but TWICE as much? This is the most expensive phone running on S400 - it even cost more than One M8 Mini.
    This phone was presented as flagship, and it is priced like one(10% cheaper than L930), so I expect flagship performance. S400 is a NO-NO. Why didn't they choose S615 which costs about 10% more than S400?

10-03-2014 09:13 AM
    Lumia 920 in U.S. was $450 when it came out. 830 should be $300-350 when it comes out.
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-03-2014 09:32 AM
    I'm talking about prices in Europe. At the begining, L920 was priced around 800$.

L930 is now about 600$, L830 around 550$ and L735 around 350$.

Lenovo doesn't own Motorola, not yet. Xiaomi and One Plus aren't budget OEMs. Their phones are not cheap.
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-03-2014 09:43 AM
    Do you really think that you know better about design, engineering, marketing, supply chain management, market analysis, etc., etc., etc. than do the multitudes of very smart people paid by Microsoft to determine all the factors about which you are complaining? I somehow doubt it.

Here, you are presented with a choice and a privilege: you can either choose to buy this phone, or not. You can choose to buy this phone or you can choose to buy a Moto G. It's your choice! If you don't agree with the choices made by the multitudes at Microsoft, simply move along.
    Aviskri, poststamp and xandros9 like this.
    10-03-2014 10:11 AM
    You didn't get my point but nevermind. I would move along but there isn't any WP model on market now that suits my needs(because L830 isn't what MS claims it is - affordable flagship). Now, I'll have to wait for Lumia 850 or One M8(if it arrives to EU).
    10-03-2014 10:44 AM
    I get your point just fine. You want a phone with something approximating the most powerful specs on the market, at a price point matching a mid-range phone. Unfortunately, this phone doesn't really exist. The phone in question currently has the best combination of features (specs, newest OS, etc.) that Microsoft offers. This pretty much makes it their current flagship. Affordable? Well, that's a matter of perspective. It seems that there are plenty of people in these forums who have deemed it affordable enough for them to pay a premium for an unlocked version from a 3rd party vendor, thus making Microsoft's marketing slogan accurate. There really isn't anything to complain about then. And, see? You've already moved along now, by determining that you'll have to wait for something else. Good job!
    jfmanzo likes this.
    10-03-2014 12:39 PM
    Here in Canada its $0 on a two year term.... How much cheaper do you need it to be?

And if you are going to wait, how about saving up for something higher than an 800 series as that is obviously too low of a tier for your tastes.
    jfmanzo likes this.
    10-03-2014 12:53 PM
    I can buy L1520 for the same price as L830, but it is too big for my hand. L930 doesn't have microSD slot and One M8 or Ativ SE aren't available here.

Please try to understand that prices are much higher here. And most of us use prepaid. Average salaray here is around 900$ but tech prices are higher than US and Canada.
    Last edited by akoj; 10-03-2014 at 01:24 PM.
    10-03-2014 01:10 PM
    OK... Salaries are generally lower in Croatia than in the United States, and tech prices are therefore relatively higher. Understood. Perhaps you simply need to recalibrate your expectations, then.

On the other hand, you speak of the 1520 as though it is within your price range, but is simply uncomfortable for you. A quick scan through these forums finds reviews of people who are happy with the 830 after having used their old 1520s. Isn't that good enough? Are you really such a slave to the written specs that you wouldn't move to the 830 for the sole reason that it doesn't seem good enough? I have a Lumia 928 which has appreciably "better" specs than does the 635 that my girlfriend owns. However, it honestly feels better than my phone in many ways, and I'm seriously considering buying one of my own as part of a switch to a different carrier, while I patiently wait for the 830 to become available. Specs be damned!
    a5cent likes this.
    10-03-2014 02:43 PM

I believe the person was probably referring to Google's well established practice of product dumping - they price devices at or below manufacturing cost (i.e., no profit) to gain sales and make it up on services, and (more often) data harvesting for advertising. Alternatively they simply lose money and write it off. They then leverage that market share to lock out competitors (notice the lack of Google apps on Microsoft's OS platforms or curious problems people occasionally have with various types of syncing). BTW, Amazon follows that model as well.

Quite frankly, it is all as illegal today as when the monopolies were broken up at the start of the previous century. Unfortunately, the last two administrations (republican and democratic) in the US have a laughably poor record of enforcing those regulations even after the great recession. The EU is no better and frequently worse. Long story shot, neither Microsoft nor Apple employ the same practices so their products cost more.
    10-03-2014 02:53 PM
    OK... Salaries are generally lower in Croatia than in the United States, and tech prices are therefore relatively higher. Understood. Perhaps you simply need to recalibrate your expectations, then.

On the other hand, you speak of the 1520 as though it is within your price range, but is simply uncomfortable for you. A quick scan through these forums finds reviews of people who are happy with the 830 after having used their old 1520s. Isn't that good enough? Are you really such a slave to the written specs that you wouldn't move to the 830 for the sole reason that it doesn't seem good enough? I have a Lumia 928 which has appreciably "better" specs than does the 635 that my girlfriend owns. However, it honestly feels better than my phone in many ways, and I'm seriously considering buying one of my own as part of a switch to a different carrier, while I patiently wait for the 830 to become available. Specs be damned!
    I didn't try L830, but I have tried L735 which has the same CPU, GPU and screen resolution. Its gaming preformance is slightly worse than preformace of my Ativ S and that is a dealbreaker for me.
    I'll probably have to stick with my Ativ S until something good arrives.
    10-03-2014 03:05 PM
173 123 ...