Lumia 830 now available on Telus!

bern_nutz

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Just ordered the Lumia 830 on Telus! Was viewing my account online and did a quick check and noticed it was available to order, launched right at midnight here in Ontario!

$0.00 on two year lite plan and $500.00 outright, available in black only (hopefully coloured backplates will be coming?)

bern_nutz

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Had a free upgrade available on one of my lines so got it for $0, glad I waited because I was considering the iPhone 6 until these announcements of it launching soon in Canada started! We haven't been getting much WP love up here in a while!

A little disappointed that they don't have all colours and the $500 outright price is pretty high, might be difficult for it to gain much traction right from the start.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
The only problem is the metal frame will be dark even if you get different color back covers, but it's better than nothing.

Dustmills

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
This looks to be the same specced phone as the one Rogers has, so I'm seriously considering going to get it from them instead and having it unlocked. You get a second back plate from them, and they're offering it for $399, so even after the unlock I'd be ahead $50. What a strange price from Telus....

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
399 is not the off contract price. It's the month to month meaning you still have to sign up for a plan.
But check out the MS store if you can. They did the same for 1020. Rogers had it only as month to month but MS Store sold it to me out right.

Dustmills

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
399 is not the off contract price. It's the month to month meaning you still have to sign up for a plan.
But check out the MS store if you can. They did the same for 1020. Rogers had it only as month to month but MS Store sold it to me out right.

MS Store doesn't have it listed.

$399 + $50 unlock + $20 plan + extra back cover = still better then $500. ;)

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Damit. I wish Telus offered the other colors. I had the green one in mind...

Even if I were to buy a green backplate afterwards, I think it would look weird with the black frame...

Orange might work on the black frame. Anyone have pics of that, orange/green + black frame?

Dustmills

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

Even if I were to buy a green backplate afterwards, I think it would look weird with the black frame...

Orange might work on the black frame. Anyone have pics of that, orange/green + black frame?

White would probably look pretty awesome with the black as well. I would imagine orange would be much better then green. I've been looking for pics of the black frame with other covers, but haven't had much luck. :/

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I was all set to order this from Telus (my current carrier) until I realized they were carrying black only.

Silly perhaps, but the look of the metal frame is one of the selling points for me. The black doesn't do it for me. Strange they'd only offer that.

Ah well...looking/waiting for other options.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
This looks to be the same specced phone as the one Rogers has, so I'm seriously considering going to get it from them instead and having it unlocked. You get a second back plate from them, and they're offering it for $399, so even after the unlock I'd be ahead $50. What a strange price from Telus....

I don't see anything from Rogers about a second back plate, are you sure about that?

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Same boat here...

First I gawked at the $500 Telus off contract price and thought of going to Rogers.

Then I saw I could get it for $0, on my current $55 plan, and it was joy, ...until I realized they only offer it in black.

So, what to do, begrudgingly get the black 830 from Telus for $0, or switch to Rogers just for the color?

If going to Rogers, can the 830 be had for the same $0 + 2 year contract @ $55/month?

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
If going to Rogers, can the 830 be had for the same $0 + 2 year contract @ $55/month?

I went through the checkout process on Rogers' website earlier. Looks like you're required to have a Share Everything plan + Data. So, $60 + data (min $20/m)= $80.00 per month minimum. Not worth it in my opinion.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

There's a thread in the Lumia icon forum where someone managed to swap out the backplate ( it's not made for swapping like the 830). Orange and black is a good color combo and it looks pretty cool. It's better than green/black imo.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
It's a shame for the 45$ a month minimum (I only need a minimal plan). Otherwise my 635 would have quickly been replaced! :p

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I went through the checkout process on Rogers' website earlier. Looks like you're required to have a Share Everything plan + Data. So, $60 + data (min $20/m)= $80.00 per month minimum. Not worth it in my opinion.

I just tried that too; in Qc the minimum Rogers plan is the Share Everything $60 (base) + $25 (min) = $85 per month, totalling $2040 for the 2 year contract, with the phone at $0.
Otherwise, you can still get the $55 month plan, but you have to pay the $399 for the phone up front, which is still better imho : $1320 + $400 = $1720, $320 less than the subsidized 2y purchase.

Staying with Telus, I keep my $55 plan, but the phone is still $0, so $400 less than Rogers best offering.

I challenged a Rogers sales rep with these figures to try and get them to lower the $400 price tag, in vain. She was all "you can't compare apple and oranges". O'RLY? Exact same phone (except the color) and exact same plan at $55, these apples look pretty much the same to me...

So, is the color worth $400 ? Kind of expensive just for color... I'll stick with the Telus black.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I just tried that too; in Qc the minimum Rogers plan is the Share Everything $60 (base) + $25 (min) = $85 per month, totalling $2040 for the 2 year contract, with the phone at $0.
Otherwise, you can still get the $55 month plan, but you have to pay the $399 for the phone up front, which is still better imho : $1320 + $400 = $1720, $320 less than the subsidized 2y purchase.

Staying with Telus, I keep my $55 plan, but the phone is still $0, so $400 less than Rogers best offering.

I challenged a Rogers sales rep with these figures to try and get them to lower the $400 price tag, in vain. She was all "you can't compare apple and oranges". O'RLY? Exact same phone (except the color) and exact same plan at $55, these apples look pretty much the same to me...

So, is the color worth $400 ? Kind of expensive just for color... I'll stick with the Telus black.

Pfft Rogers are the new Bell. Telus is the best IMO.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
There's a thread in the Lumia icon forum where someone managed to swap out the backplate ( it's not made for swapping like the 830). Orange and black is a good color combo and it looks pretty cool. It's better than green/black imo.

Just found a pic with the green back on black frame :

http://www.windowscentral.com/sites...2014/10/Lumia_830_ATT_green.png?itok=cX8a3itG

Doesn't look too bad. Not as good as green + aluminum, but for $400 less, yeah, I'll take it...

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Boom: just pulled the trigger on the Telus purchase at $0 + $55/month for 2 years.

It's drab black, but that $400 is much nicer in my pocket.

$400 will gets me loads of colored back covers. ;P

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Boom: just pulled the trigger on the Telus purchase at $0 + $55/month for 2 years.

It's drab black, but that $400 is much nicer in my pocket.

$400 will gets me loads of colored back covers. ;P

Good for you. :)

I think I've decided to buy it unlocked (Expansys/Omegacell etc) or wait to see what MS sells it for. I just can't bring myself to go for an overpriced contract. May even spring for the 930.

Regardless....think I'll wait to see what the prices do over the next 4-8 weeks.

To those who get it, enjoy it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes