[L830] Auto restart?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
So the Denim update solved this issue. I didn't experience any random reboot for six days now.

Wow, that's great news. I posed that question in another thread, but more as wishful thinking. Can't wait to try for myself... Latin American RM-985 variant here waiting for the update.

Marty89

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
On the Microsoft website there is an article about Denim update for 830 and it talks about benefits and features of this update and at the end of it it says: performance and stability improvements.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
On the Microsoft website there is an article about Denim update for 830 and it talks about benefits and features of this update and at the end of it it says: performance and stability improvements.

I wonder if performance improvements include sounds being less distorted at their highest levels. They sound fine up until about volume level 8 or 9 out of 10. My first RM-984 was worst with this, but the two RM-985s I had since weren't much better.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Restarted 3 times today... that's going a little too far IMO. If Denim isn't out for my variant with a fix to the auto restarts within a week or two I'm likely going to sell my Lumia 830. Not sure what I'll get instead... I find the 1520 too big and the 930 doesn't have Glance or LTE bands for North America. Might either go to an old 920/925, or try an Xperia Z3.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
What firmware are you on? What are you doing differently than when you were having reboots?

Well my random-reboot-phone was a prototype RM-985, Microsoft replaced it with the NAM RM-985 variant. Its currently running the NAM firmware, no reboots, no freezes. Not sure whether the prototype was faulty or the NAM ROM is stable.

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Lumia recovery tool, removing SD card, changing connection settings, etc.. All these solutions don't help, so should we call Microsoft? All at once through twitter or mail.
My teacher got 830 recommended by me, and now he is kicking my *** -here in Saudi Arabia people hates Nokia, bad luck for me!!-.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Well my random-reboot-phone was a prototype RM-985, Microsoft replaced it with the NAM RM-985 variant. Its currently running the NAM firmware, no reboots, no freezes. Not sure whether the prototype was faulty or the NAM ROM is stable.

Thank for the info. My phone just randomly rebooted for the 5th time in less than 24 hours. I'm honestly at a complete loss. I didn't install any new apps lately, just updated existing ones, most of which are system or stock apps like extras & info, Glance, and Music.

I'm also running the NAM ROM, as I got this Lumia 830 from the Microsoft Store. Hardware wise, the phone seems pristine... audio sounds clear even at high volumes (unlike 2 past 830s I had) and the display is solid.

I feel like a dope defending Microsoft so much now when it comes to the stability of their mobile OS. I didn't complain about the once-every-two-days to once-a-day reboots and kept recommending the phone. But in hindsight, it's really quite comical that every Lumia 830 I owned has had reboot issues, with this being by far the worst.

I said I was going to give it a week or two for full Denim to arrive to see if things improve. I'm starting to think it may be on the shorter end of that range. I can live with a random reboot every 2 days or so (though even that's unacceptable to many), but 5 (and counting) in the space of 24 hours? Sorry, I work too hard for my money.

P.S. I've gone through and uninstalled any 3rd party apps that I can remember being updated recently (since I didn't install any). Pretty sure it was just YouTube Uploader and Metrotube. I also uninstalled Lumia Camera since that doesn't work anyway without full Denim. I finished that up with turning off some background apps like Music and Skype and doing a soft reset. We'll see what happens, but I doubt it does anything.

Lumia recovery tool, removing SD card, changing connection settings, etc.. All these solutions don't help, so should we call Microsoft? All at once through twitter or mail.
My teacher got 830 recommended by me, and now he is kicking my *** -here in Saudi Arabia people hates Nokia, bad luck for me!!-.

I was one of the individuals that recommended the 830 to you. I apologize for doing so. Restarts were once every two days or so on that variant. I really did like everything else about the phone... beautiful hardware, solid camera, feature-packed, etc. None of that matters if the OS/ROM is crippled though. I hope your teacher likes the phone enough and reboots are rare enough that they like your recommendation.

Last edited:

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Just a heads up: I haven't had any reboots with the final full version of Denim on my Lumia 830 yet.
Either Microsoft fixed whatever was causing the reboots or I was just lucky for the past two weeks.

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Just a heads up: I haven't had any reboots with the final full version of Denim on my Lumia 830 yet.
Either Microsoft fixed whatever was causing the reboots or I was just lucky for the past two weeks.
Thank you for bringing life back to my heart

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Thank for the info. My phone just randomly rebooted for the 5th time in less than 24 hours. I'm honestly at a complete loss. I didn't install any new apps lately, just updated existing ones, most of which are system or stock apps like extras & info, Glance, and Music.

I'm also running the NAM ROM, as I got this Lumia 830 from the Microsoft Store. Hardware wise, the phone seems pristine... audio sounds clear even at high volumes (unlike 2 past 830s I had) and the display is solid.

I feel like a dope defending Microsoft so much now when it comes to the stability of their mobile OS. I didn't complain about the once-every-two-days to once-a-day reboots and kept recommending the phone. But in hindsight, it's really quite comical that every Lumia 830 I owned has had reboot issues, with this being by far the worst.

I said I was going to give it a week or two for full Denim to arrive to see if things improve. I'm starting to think it may be on the shorter end of that range. I can live with a random reboot every 2 days or so (though even that's unacceptable to many), but 5 (and counting) in the space of 24 hours? Sorry, I work too hard for my money.

P.S. I've gone through and uninstalled any 3rd party apps that I can remember being updated recently (since I didn't install any). Pretty sure it was just YouTube Uploader and Metrotube. I also uninstalled Lumia Camera since that doesn't work anyway without full Denim. I finished that up with turning off some background apps like Music and Skype and doing a soft reset. We'll see what happens, but I doubt it does anything.

I was one of the individuals that recommended the 830 to you. I apologize for doing so. Restarts were once every two days or so on that variant. I really did like everything else about the phone... beautiful hardware, solid camera, feature-packed, etc. None of that matters if the OS/ROM is crippled though. I hope your teacher likes the phone enough and reboots are rare enough that they like your recommendation.
Why not just contact Microsoft repair and get it replaced under warranty?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
It would be a hassle to be without a phone but I may just do that. Doubt it would even work.. there's no rhyme or reason to the reboots, they're random. Not sure how they'd duplicate the problem. And if they can, they would have probably pushed out a fix.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Can I ask what variant/ROM you have? And how frequent were the reboots to begin with? Thanks.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, the uninstall of a few apps and soft reboot didn't fix anything. Just opened Trivia Crack and boom, another random reboot in the middle of a question. I've contacted Lumia Help on Twitter. Never thought I'd have to go through this many Lumia 830s. Never had to replace any of my previous Lumias.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
It would be a hassle to be without a phone but I may just do that. Doubt it would even work.. there's no rhyme or reason to the reboots, they're random. Not sure how they'd duplicate the problem. And if they can, they would have probably pushed out a fix.

You can get an AT&T Lumia 520 prepaid for 30 bucks, get it unlocked within 2 days which can be used as a backup on T-Mobile while your phone is with repair

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
You can get an AT&T Lumia 520 prepaid for 30 bucks, get it unlocked within 2 days which can be used as a backup on T-Mobile while your phone is with repair

May do that. I also have an unlocked Lumia 900... would just have to get a micro SIM instead of my 830's nano.

I'm conflicted whether to bother sending it in, or wait for full Denim first. The problem is that Microsoft has not given us an ETA besides that it's already rolling out in some places.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
May do that. I also have an unlocked Lumia 900... would just have to get a micro SIM instead of my 830's nano.

I'm conflicted whether to bother sending it in, or wait for full Denim first. The problem is that Microsoft has not given us an ETA besides that it's already rolling out in some places.

Rolling out only for RM-984s, I haven't seen a single RM-985 ROM that's currently on the post Denim update. Not sure what that post meant on Microsoft's site where they mentioned about RM-985s getting the new update. The point of sending it for repair was of being really tired of the random reboots. And Microsoft really did fix it by sending a replacement device. I would rather wait a few days for the device to get replaced rather than living with a defective device. Also it's better to send it now rather than waiting for the update to fix it. Who knows by the time time they roll out the update, the warranty would already have been expired

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Can I ask what variant/ROM you have? And how frequent were the reboots to begin with? Thanks.

According to extras+info: RM-984_1001, Mobile Operator 000-DE.
It's an unlocked unbranded Lumia 830 purchased in Germany.

The reboots were very infrequent for me, maybe once a week. They also happened randomly when not using the phone, never when I was actually using it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon