oled display and long trips

Spiri91

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
hy

i want to buy a nokia 1020(first choice) or 930, but i have a question, will the display of these devices survive at full brightness for as long as 8hr while using it as gps? or it will get burned?
my previous device was a 920, had no problems with the ips display.

thank you.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
hy

i want to buy a nokia 1020(first choice) or 930, but i have a question, will the display of these devices survive at full brightness for as long as 8hr while using it as gps? or it will get burned?
my previous device was a 920, had no problems with the ips display.

thank you.

No, it won't. For prolonged use, it is recommended to keep your phone plugged in via a compatible charger or power bank (or a series of power banks). Also, to maximize your battery life while travelling, you may want to turn of data (or at least keep it at 3G and not 4G).

Spiri91

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello , thanks for your answer. But i have a car charger for that, i only care about the display, since it is oled and not ips. I don't know if it can handle 8 hours at max brightness while using here drive. The pixels.. Will they get burned, stuck, dead?
Thank you and sorry for my english

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Indeed AMLCD are more sensitive for burn-in than ips-LCD.
In this forums I did not read compliance about burn-in so yes they are more sensitive but the problem is also not that big/obvious.
Static pictures can cause burn-in. If you use navigation the picture keeps moving so there should not be a reason to burn-in. Also the 8 hours will be not long enough to get burn-in.
But I am not Microsoft so a yes or no from me is not a guarantee only an opinion.
You should ask this question in the shop and also ask if you can return it it burn-in happens.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello , thanks for your answer. But i have a car charger for that, i only care about the display, since it is oled and not ips. I don't know if it can handle 8 hours at max brightness while using here drive. The pixels.. Will they get burned, stuck, dead?
Thank you and sorry for my english

Oh, alright, sorry for my misunderstanding. In addition to Harrie-S's input, your screen would most probably not be displaying the same "image" for the entire 8 hours, with the map view moving as your travel, so screen burn would likely not be an issue there. At any rate, just in case screen image burning occurs, there are apps and other ways which you can use to remove the burned image and even attempt to revive "dead pixels".

But if it would still bother you, use a setting lower than the "brightest level" in the settings. Besides, the screen is designed to push its brightness further for "sunlight readability", which is a lot brighter than the "brightest level" accessible in the settings, so this could mean that even the "brightest level" won't be pushing the screen to its limits... decreasing the risk of screen-related malfunctions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes