Nokia Lumia 930 Dev Tools or Apps

Junior Revoltar

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,
I just converted to Windows phone platform as I previously used a LG G3 Andorid device. I used xda developers alot to Mod my device such as Root Access, Unlock Bootloader, Custom Recovery and install Roms and Kernels.

My question is - Is there the same sort of things for the Windows phone? This forum for Windows 8 isn't as straight forward due to different devices that are all in the one forum " Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking "..

Could someone point me in the right direction where I may use some developer tools to unlock bootloader etc or install kernels to MOD my Lumia 930? Or is there such thing?

Hope I can get a response...

Thanks in Advanced!

Junior Revoltar

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
fair enough. so the windows phone is what it is.

Any applications you can recommend for a new Windows phone user? I really like the phone especially for the Camera quality and user interface.

I am just lacking some applications to help me make use of my device further.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You sound like you were a Android user before. Apparently if you use the QR code for the Android apps using your WP it will take you to the app, if it exists, for WP.

Was there any apps you were interested in?

Junior Revoltar

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I owned a few android devices to which all I had root access and installe custom roms etc. Now from my understanding this isn't the same case with WP which I am fine with given the less bloated OS. I am so far happy with it :)

I just want some apps maybe I am not aware of. At the moment I think I have the apps I want except some google apps such as Google Keep but i guess i can use One note. I used google chrome a lot which is not available - I really hope MS and Google get things together so we can all enjoy the best of both worlds... Soon i hope..

What do you have on your Device? Is there a thread here that people suggest some apps? I can't seem to find

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
When it comes to apps it's sort of a personal preference. I'm not a big games person for example so I couldn't help you there. WP on the whole is pretty well rounded. None of the main apps are that flash so there's always getting things to replace those like a calendar app or email app.

I typically use all the MS services, so OneDrive, Note, etc. It works for me. If you're after social media stuff all the 3rd party apps from Rudy Huyn is pretty good but we don't have SnapChat.

There's a large selection of photo editing apps, unfortunately not Snapseed.

As you noted, Google apps are a miss but you don't really need them for the most part but I agree it would be nice to have.

There's this section of the forum you can check out - Stuff for your Windows Phone - Windows Central Forums

Junior Revoltar

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Awesome! Thanks for your help.

Other then the occasional heat issue with the device for the first couple of days i am happy with it. I hope that sorts itself out.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Actually there are some tweaks and mods possible on wp. For instance you can add a boot and a shutdown screen, add a additional accent color. Its still very basic but it's possible....only downside is that you need a developers account to sideload some tools and the biggest bummer is that those tricks only works via a sd cart.
Rooting in wp is called " full interop unlock " and is ( for now ) only possible on the samsung active and the huawei w1, they also have customs roms for those devices.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I love you ex-droid guys!

You guys experiment, tinker and play!

I had an Amiga 1200 back in the day and use to blow it up almost daily. But I learned a lot!

There is solid WP knowledge here - I am curious to find out what happens!

Glad you are here - share you learning!!!!

Mr. V

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Here and there are some pretty good tutorials about the subject ( even by my hand ) but the interest of the wp community is lower than it is with android.
I can upload a smal vid of my personalization just as a example. Its nothing exiting about it but just fun to do.

Root or interopunlock isnt realy necessary because there are no apps who need that.
The only thing what makes it interesting is the max apps setting ( so you can sideload numerous apps on your device ), but that was already possible when you have a sd card, so i don't need interop.
Nah not entirely true, you can do a lot more with full interop, but for the average tweaker its more than enough.

Here a small example............

And here's a link to the XDA WP section.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/windows-phone-8

Last edited:

Junior Revoltar

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! May have to read into this more before I go ahead with it. However I think someone stated interop is not available for Lumia 930.
Other then that - I am experiencing high battery drain on my device when just browsing the web or sending text. I downloaded the app "Battery" and get alerts stating I am getting a 9% discharge in just 17 minutes. This is a brand spanking new device. Occasionally gets hot but I notice others have this issue and wears off. This is more about the battery draining so quickly which is quite odd...

I have turned all locations, feedback wifi and nfc off. Yet the drainage keeps its consistency at a fast rate
Any possible tips here?

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Look into settings and than batterysaver ( or something like that) and check what ever running in the background. But it is known that the 930 loves some juice.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! May have to read into this more before I go ahead with it. However I think someone stated interop is not available for Lumia 930.
Other then that - I am experiencing high battery drain on my device when just browsing the web or sending text. I downloaded the app "Battery" and get alerts stating I am getting a 9% discharge in just 17 minutes. This is a brand spanking new device. Occasionally gets hot but I notice others have this issue and wears off. This is more about the battery draining so quickly which is quite odd...

I have turned all locations, feedback wifi and nfc off. Yet the drainage keeps its consistency at a fast rate
Any possible tips here?

Check Battery Saver and see what apps are running in the background and turn any off that you don't want running.

When you are constantly using mobile data and having the screen on (the biggest drains on any device) you'll have a drop in battery performance.

Depending on how new your device is I'd recommend going through a few charging cycles to see how things go. When I say charging cycles I don't mean discharge your phone btw. Just normal charging and discharging.

Overheating is not uncommon on WP unfortunately.

If after a couple of weeks if the phone is still performing poorly then I'd suggest reinstalling the firmware using this - FAQ - How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software? - Microsoft - USA

It's possible that you have a corrupt firmware and doing a refresh may (hopefully?) help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes