Camera and flash stopped working

mmc-dsm

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
I've had this 830 since november and it was a pleasure, love the phone.

Yesterday, when I tried to take a picture, I got a black screen. Tried the regular camera app, the nokia camera app that came with the phone and even tried Lumia Camera Classic app with no avail. I always get a black screen without any buttons to touch on the screen apart from the regular camera app where I have buttons to touch but they don't do anything. Tried rebooting the phone and tried a soft reset, didn't work.

I didn't drop the phone and I'm a very careful person with my phones.

Then, I tried the flashlight XT app and the flash doesn't light up at all.

On top of all of that, I switched from a 1020 to this 830 because my 1020 gave me the same problem but intermittently.

Any ideas?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I've had this 830 since november and it was a pleasure, love the phone.

Yesterday, when I tried to take a picture, I got a black screen. Tried the regular camera app, the nokia camera app that came with the phone and even tried Lumia Camera Classic app with no avail. I always get a black screen without any buttons to touch on the screen apart from the regular camera app where I have buttons to touch but they don't do anything. Tried rebooting the phone and tried a soft reset, didn't work.

I didn't drop the phone and I'm a very careful person with my phones.

Then, I tried the flashlight XT app and the flash doesn't light up at all.

On top of all of that, I switched from a 1020 to this 830 because my 1020 gave me the same problem but intermittently.

Any ideas?

Do you keep your phones in places which may subject them to higher-than-normal pressures (in the rear pocket of tight jeans while sitting down, under the pillow...) or in humid environments?

A hard reset might be needed to fix this, but there's no guarantee that it will work. Another option would be to bring your phone to a service center.

mmc-dsm

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
I keep it in my front right pocket and I wear loose pants generally. When I sit in the car, I could see the phone being pushed sometimes by the handbrake.

Also, the Denim update will be available in the next weeks for me; would doing the update maybe arrange my problem?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I keep it in my front right pocket and I wear loose pants generally. When I sit in the car, I could see the phone being pushed sometimes by the handbrake.

Also, the Denim update will be available in the next weeks for me; would doing the update maybe arrange my problem?

I see.

Well, I'd say it probably will, there's a possibility... but let's just say let's hope that the Denim update fixes the issue. Let us know when the update arrives and when it does fix the problem. Based on what other users have said, a lot indicate that these updates do not fix severe problems such as that one, while there are a few who say that they fix the problem. But one thing is for sure: if the problem is at the hardware level (busted sensor, maybe), then no update could fix that. Hopefully, this is not the case for your phone.

mmc-dsm

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
So, by coincidence I checked if the Denim update was available (Telus) and it was there. I made the update and it didn't "repair" my problem. Only difference is that instead of getting a black screen it goes back to the start screen.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
So, by coincidence I checked if the Denim update was available (Telus) and it was there. I made the update and it didn't "repair" my problem. Only difference is that instead of getting a black screen it goes back to the start screen.

By the way, is your Camera app installed on an SD Card? If yes, try moving it to your phone memory and see if the problem persists. You can move apps from your SD Card to your phone by going to Storage Sense > SD Card > Applications > select an app and tap on "move".

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Hard reset seems like the last option you can try for yourself, and if that doesn't work, take it to Microsoft Care people. I'm sorry this happened to you :/

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I posted this earlier this morning but do not know where it has gone. Given that this has happened on two phones suggest to me that it is an environment or use thing.

You mentioned the handbrake, could it have damaged the button?

Can you start the camera with a tap in the Apps - Camera section?

mmc-dsm

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
The button is fine and is working as the tap on the camera app.

It's probably a hardware problem and I will have to get it repaired on warranty.

Lickatoad

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I owned my Lumia 830 for about 1 1/2 months and I was out taking photos last thursday and then the Lumia 5 Photo app kept saying "saving". After waiting for several minutes it didn't change. I pressed the windows/home button and tried to reload the app and was greeted with the same black screen you are experiencing. It was black with the focus reticle. If I tapped the screen or tried to take a photo, the reticle kept flashing and nothing else happened.

It could be coincidence, but I also had the Flashlight XT app on my phone.

I tried hard resetting it 3 times, removing sd card and everything from it but to no avail.

I went back to the shop and exchanged it, the second phone had blue screen of death. I exchanged that one but the 3rd phone had no vibration function working. I've since given up and got a refund. Missing my 830 though but too many problems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon