Where to Get Lumia 1520 repaired?

Ian Legarda

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone. Two days ago, my Lumia 1520.3 developed issues with the microphone. Persons at the other end of the line could no longer hear me during calls unless the phone was put on speaker or used with a headset (wired/bluetooth). Cortana cannot be spoken to. I have done multiple hard resets. I tried the recovery tool but that was whole other fiasco failing every time the prcocess got started. I also noticed the capacitive lights flickering and turning off at times. I strongly believe this is a hardware issue and not a software issue. I noticed that when pressing down on the screen, the capacitive buttons light up and on occasion the microphone works as well. I have a strong feeling that this is all due to the phone bending/flexing. I carry the phone in my pocket most of the time.

Finally on to the question... Where do Lumia 1520.3 owners take their phones for repair? I am in Southern California but do not mind shipping the phone out to another state for quality work. Sadly, most "repair" shops in my neck of the woods are relegated to iphone/android screen repairs. Does anyone have any specific recommendations on repair shops in their area? Thanks!

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
The tinkerer in me recommends you buy a proper set of phone repair tools and pop this phone open yourself. Practice on an old smartphone/device that you have in a junk drawer and study YouTube videos. This is a skill that will save you thousands in your lifetime :)

Andrew Gordon

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I recently replaced the screen and digitizer on my 1520 following a video guide I found on YouTube. Saved myself over ?100. I'd previously replaced the same in my daughter's Xperia saving her a fortune too.
The parts are readily available and there are comprehensive guides available. The 1520 isn't that difficult to get into and most of the parts are modular and use "press stud" connectors with ribbon cables so it's just a case of popping the broken unit out and fitting the replacement.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I recently replaced the screen and digitizer on my 1520 following a video guide I found on YouTube. Saved myself over ?100. I'd previously replaced the same in my daughter's Xperia saving her a fortune too.
The parts are readily available and there are comprehensive guides available. The 1520 isn't that difficult to get into and most of the parts are modular and use "press stud" connectors with ribbon cables so it's just a case of popping the broken unit out and fitting the replacement.
how long it take you and how hard ? Boy I would love to fix my 1520 so bad!!

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Man i am a serial tinkerer. But this device is making me ship it to palco to get it fixed. The thing is its really hard finding AUTHENTIC replacement parts for this device. Palco gets their pieces directly from Microsoft/nokia and palco don't sell the pieces without installation. I tried everything to get them to sell me the display assembly for the 1520 but they wont so I have to let them do it I guess.

I say all this to say if you don't mind not so cheap replacement parts and are into fixing your own devices. You can definitely find replacement mics for the bottom of the screen. If you really want authentic replacement parts bing palco cellphone repair. They are an authorized third party repair center that gets all their pieces from Microsoft/Nokia. I know this because nokia support staffs directed me to them during an official support inquiry.

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Just recently about a month ago my mom's 1520 had the same exact problem. It was still under warranty so she took it to the Microsoft Store, they checked it and they promptly gave her a brand new one.

Ian Legarda

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
It is a 1520.3 so getting it fixed/replaced under warranty is an issue. I do not mind paying out of pocket for the cost to fix it. I have opened and repaired a few phones already. I just wasn't sure if the mic was soldered on to the motherboard or anything like that. I opened it last night and after taking a look around and watching a few videos, it seems that the mic is soldered on to the external speaker/power jack (USB) assembly. I found a part for $19.99 which is currently in order. Is it genuine? Probably not. As long as it gets the job done properly and I can use the phone fully again I'll be happy.

I was feeling a little desperate when I could not find a suitable replacement phone for me. 640 is not out for TMobile yet. 640XL sounds better but feels like a huge step down from the 1520. 930 not sold locally through retailers and with newer phones in the works with Windows 10, I felt like purchasing a new 930/1520 was just not worth it. Android... I can't go back. iOS = no thank you. I'm not an MS fan boy either. Hated the Nokia move to WP (was a hardcore N900/N9 user and still am) but I find that the 1520 (and OS in general) suits me better than the alternative.

Ian Legarda

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I got the part in today. I replaced the suspected culprit: USB/speaker assembly. Reattaching the 2 coax wires was challenging. The preliminary tests are 50/50. The mic seems to be working. "Hey Cortana" is working. Phone calls seem to work no problem as well. The only issue I have with the install or possibly the non genuine part (or something else perhaps?) is the back and home capacitive buttons are not lighting up but do work while the search capacitive button is fully functioning.

I can live with capacitive buttons not lighting up. I am pleased to say I am now back to using the 1520 fulltime.

Ian Legarda

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Update: Well, the working mic lasted to last night. I was on the phone last night with my wife then noticed the mic issue again. I dont know if it happened before that since I can't remember when I used the phone last to make calls or use Cortana. This then leads me to believe that it is not a faulty mic but something else. Yes, it could be a coincidence, but I doubt it. More technical testing is required but I'm not up for it. I think it is time to just use the 1520 as a tablet and move on.

I am torn. I can get a "flagship" device right now from my local TMobile store or I can stick it out with Windows Phone..... I know for certain that I am done purchasing "international" devices whose warranties will not be honored here in the USA. That means no 930 for me. So that leaves me with the 830 or any of the many Android devices out there. I need Qi, so no ATT 1520's either. What to do, what to do?

Bob Wallerick

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I also am having this same problem and have narrowed it down to the ribbon cable connection not making good contact. With the phone opened up and powered up, if I apply variable light pressure to the connection I can watch the three lights come on and go out. As a "pretty good" fix I put a small folded piece of paper in between the connection and the screwed down bracket so it applies more pressure to the connection. In the past two weeks I have only had the microphone not work properly twice. (this is why I say a "pretty good" fix).

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
The buttons are operated by the digitizer so they will work regardless. All symptoms are coming from the daughter board so it's a relatively easy fix. Don't worry about it being the wrong part as this one is the same across all hardware revisions.

If the spacer trick doesn't work for you send me a PM, as I have an OEM spare I can part with.

Ian Legarda

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
The buttons are operated by the digitizer so they will work regardless. All symptoms are coming from the daughter board so it's a relatively easy fix. Don't worry about it being the wrong part as this one is the same across all hardware revisions.

If the spacer trick doesn't work for you send me a PM, as I have an OEM spare I can part with.

Thank you for your generosity. I will try the spacer tonight. I did try just pressing on the back cover in the area where connector is and the MS logo (home) but to lights up.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I just (Fri 4/17) got my LUMIA 1520 back from PALCO. Shipped it to fix the phantom touch issue - so far, so good.

They replaced the digitizer, took 8 days total (shipped Thurs 4/9) for $219. USD which included insurance on the return shipment. I would recommend PALCO, the issue (so far) is resolved, they were easy to deal with & got my phone back quickly, packaged to survive anything.

With the cost of an OEM digitizer assembly @ ~~$170, the xtra spent was well worth it - @ that point they were responsible for sending a working phone back. From all my testing / trial & error, the only remediation for the phantom touch issue I could find, was replacing the digitizer. It's definitely NOT software / firmware ...

Ian Legarda

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I opened her up again last night. Tried the "spacer fix" but that didn't work out the way I wanted to. I used some scrap booking card stock that my wife had and used electric tape to hold it in place over the ribbon connector. After putting it all back together, not only did the homescreen and back buttons not light up, but the mic wasn't working again. Lol! I decided to go back in, this time I put card stock between the ribbon connector and the metal piece/bracket that holds the ribbon to the motherboard. Still no joy as far as the lights working but on the plus side, the mic is working again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon