Smart watch/band for Icon?

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I am wondering about using a wearable with my Icon. I really could care less about heart rate and fitness uses, more so with messages, mail, calls, notifications and such. I really like the idea of the elongated screens on the band...but its so bulky and uncomfortable. Also the build quality seems sketchy. It would also be nice to see a more water-resistant/proof one.

Is my only choice for a smart wearable for the Icon the Microsoft Band?
Maybe I will have to wait and see what comes in the next possible band version?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Is my only choice for a smart wearable for the Icon the Microsoft Band?
Maybe I will have to wait and see what comes in the next possible band version?

I use the Microsoft Band with no issues. It doesn't feel bulky to me, but I'm kind of tall anyway.

As far as other smart watches/bands, I believe you can also use the FitBit now that the Icon was upgraded to WP8.1/Denim.

drewman77

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I have been wearing the Microsoft Band daily since the day it was first released. No issues with the screen (I do have a protector on it) or the bracelet part. The charging magnetic connection has gotten a bit finicky. A new cable didn't fix it and neither did cleaning the contacts. Not sure what is going on, but may use that as the reason to activate my $19 extended warranty and see if they will swap it out.

It works fine with the Icon and latest software update for both watch and phone have made them communicate more reliably and quicker too.

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I picked a new sealed one up on the bay for less than ordering one from MS or BB. Will I regret not being able to have an extended warranty or other perks from MS or BB? Will I still be covered for any normal use problems within a year?

I must say, this device is very useful in my day to day activities with calls, messages, and notifications mainly. I have no need for the health stuff, but the sleep sensor is cool and i like that. Just being able to see who is calling and answering texts from my wrist is awesome.

I do not have the ability to pull out or carry my phone in my hands most of the day at work, and this device is a big help to me. I was always a negative ninny about wareables.....but now since having this device....I just feel like I have gained some freedom and removed so many irritating moments from having to pull out my phone from a pocket when hands are busy or it is in a backpack or some other place not easily accessible. I no longer run across a room or rooms to see who is calling or texting me. It is nice seeing the sender and knowing I can deal with them later, or not at all.

Can't wait to see a Band part 2, hopefully more ergonomic and higher build quality. I am happy with what I have now...and it is nice having a watch on my wrist again after almost 16 years of not warring one... and one that does so much more as well.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If you just want notifications, get a Pebble watch, and SIDELOAD the Pebble Notifications app.

I've been using the basic Pebble (301b) that I got for $63 from a best buy sale and I see everything on it, 3 emails accounts, Twitter, Facebook, Cortana, it's simple,. it's cheap and better than the Band, the battery last 7-10 days before needing to be charged.

And it's water proof according to Pebble...

I charge mine once a week.... I WILL upgrade to a Pebble Time Steel if it's compatible with the app. I like it that much.

I bet you could find one used on ebay for under $50-60, buy one, try it out, if you don't love it, put it back up on ebay and get your $50-60 back...

You are looking for the same things I was (I am an IT professional and need email ASAP when it comes in), and it works perfect for that..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes