I can't upload DNG files on my computer. Help!!!

mrnameless

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I think about 4 weeks ago, I accidentally switched from JPG to .DNG settings (5 MP + 34 MP DNG mode). I noticed my picture sizes on my onedrive are much smaller(from 10mb to 1mb) and less quality. DNG files are +40MB in size, so its no wonder that onedrive is only uploading what I assume the 5 MP files.

Anyways, when I try to upload the DNG files on my laptop from my camera via usb cord, it doesn't come out right .Not only is it huge(+40mb), but the color is disorted to purplish and very bad quality. How do I get the high quality jpeg files? I just took a 100 pictures on vacation for a week and recently came back home. Contenta Converter Premium and GIMP programs aren't helping.

Please help!!

NICK TOALE

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
DNG is the Adobe digital negative format so if you use Lightroom or Photoshop you can view and edit the pictures you can also correct white balance and do noise reduction. There is DNG Viewer that can convert the files as well.

mrnameless

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm guessing neither of those two programs(lightroom and photoshop) are free.

I just opened up DNG viewer(Raw Image Viewer) as you mentioned. Hard to tell if the quality dropped when resizing to 2048, but for some pictures, the colors are wayyy off. Like more yellow then they should e.

Last edited:

NICK TOALE

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
You would need to process the pictures, as the name implies its a digital negative so you have to process it. If the pictures are yellowish then you need to adjust white balance. DNG are like raw pictures out of a lot of digital cameras so you can adjust a lot of settings after taking the picture. If you have a good image editor you could use a DNG converter to convert to a TIFF format and then edit the picture to how you want it to look and then save it as a jpeg

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've not made much headway myself with GIMP. It seems overly dense and needlessly complex.

Apparently setting up a color profile helps tremendously, as per this discussion: http://forums.windowscentral.com/ph...d-lightroom-color-profiles-1020-1520-dng.html This is for Lightroom. IDK if you can find any color profiles for GIMP or if it even uses them.

I have pretty much just been using Rawer on the phone. You may want to try that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes