New LCD Screen... Now Screen is upside down briefly when it's awaken...?

SmokinMarley

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Greetings Fellow WP Enthusiasts!

About 2 months ago I dropped my phone and cracked my glass screen. I had it repaired by a local company that replaced the entire LCD screen/digitizer/etc. Before I brought my phone in for repair it was working perfectly fine with the exception of the shattered screen and shards of glass falling. I also at the time was running Windows 10 insider preview.

Now, with my screen replaced... My Glance screen is always upside down. I notice that when I double tap to wake or press the power button.... My screen will turn on with my lock screen upside down temporarily for about 5-10 seconds before flipping to the correct orientation. While in the "upside down state," interestingly swipe gestures respond as if my screen was right side up (or opposite to my swipe gesture while in this "upside down state). For example, I double tap and swipe up like normal but the screen animation will respond moving down and opens to my start screen. From here I usually just wait, holding my phone right side up and after 5-10 seconds it flips to the correct orientation and remains "normal" no matter what I do on the phone.... until it goes back to sleep/glance screen. And this cycle repeats.

I've been living like this and am fine but it is very annoying -- especially when i receive a phone call. I never went back to the shop who "fixed" the screen because I moved out of state the very next day.... :unhappysweat:

I have since re-installed Windows 8.1 and have done several hard and soft resets hoping it would fix this issue but to no avail.

I honestly think I'm just going to live this way until a new 1520 replacement is available to purchase... However I wanted to see if anyone here has any info as to how to fix this! :smile: BTW, my accelerometer works flawlessly... with game testing, navigation, and pretty much everything I've thrown at it. This issue is very odd to me -- no logic behind it!

Help?
Anyone?
Please! :winktongue:

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Well I can say the following:
There is no way to install the LCD upside down.
The digitizer seems to be following the correct orientation which is good....maybe.
I have never seen this behavior, so I am wrapping my head around it.

Question: What does the phone do if you turn off glance?

SmokinMarley

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi ScrubbyXD and thanks for your reply (and cute doggie in your avatar)!

I attempted to turn off glance as well as Cortona (seems Cortana can sometimes lead to weird activity on the phone?) for several days which included a few soft resets. Unfortunately, I get the same upside down behavior. This issue is totally random and odd. My first assumption was it could be a hardware issue (digitizer, acceleromete, etc) but nothing stands out as being the root cause since it would effect other activities on the phone....

I guess I might have to live like this until I switch phones and chalk it up to "a ghost in the machine"
...my last ditch effort is to ask here in case someone may have had the same problem as me.

Thanks for your help!!!

Well I can say the following:
There is no way to install the LCD upside down.
The digitizer seems to be following the correct orientation which is good....maybe.

I have never seen this behavior, so I am wrapping my head around it.

Question: What does the phone do if you turn off glance?

SmokinMarley

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi noersetiawan and thanks for your reply!

I saw this article a while back when I was first trying to fix my problem. I did have Movie Maker installed (not sure this is the same as Movie Maker Moments that I do not have installed) regardless I uninstalled the Movie Maker APP. I did not have WP 8.1 preview installed rather WP 10 Mobile Insider initially and now, WP 8.1 GDR1 installed as my OS. And lastly, I do not think I have the Remote Desktop (Preview) active/installed. Is this something I can toggle on/off or install on the phone? I looked everywhere for it and can't find. I have NEVER remotely accessed my phone from any of my PC's either or use any kind of Remote Desktop that I'm aware of... At one point of my troubleshooting I had hard reset and had a "clean" device (formated my phone and SD card) but was still experiencing this "upside down issue" Odd hu!?

I appreciate your help, thank you for your time! :)

Here is your answer

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi noersetiawan and thanks for your reply!

I saw this article a while back when I was first trying to fix my problem. I did have Movie Maker installed (not sure this is the same as Movie Maker Moments that I do not have installed) regardless I uninstalled the Movie Maker APP. I did not have WP 8.1 preview installed rather WP 10 Mobile Insider initially and now, WP 8.1 GDR1 installed as my OS. And lastly, I do not think I have the Remote Desktop (Preview) active/installed. Is this something I can toggle on/off or install on the phone? I looked everywhere for it and can't find. I have NEVER remotely accessed my phone from any of my PC's either or use any kind of Remote Desktop that I'm aware of... At one point of my troubleshooting I had hard reset and had a "clean" device (formated my phone and SD card) but was still experiencing this "upside down issue" Odd hu!?

I appreciate your help, thank you for your time! :)

Yes I thought about that. My guess is that the Movie Maker app changed something in the display firmware, and it persists upon hard reset, it only reset the OS partition after all.

Can you just try the suggested fix in the article with the Remote Desktop app?

If it doesn't work my next suggestions is:
- uninstall and reinstall Glance with the time trick
- fully reflash your phone with NaviFirm

Michael Stukel

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I am experiencing the same situation. I just had my Nokia 1520 screen replaced by a local shop and now I am experiencing the same behavior as SmokinMarley.

Last edited:

SmokinMarley

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi Michael!
Sorry for the unfortunate result after replacing your screen. I am still living with this upside down issue after all these months, along with a faulty earpiece. I waited to see what the new "flagship" phones would be in hopes of upgrading to one of them however the 950/950xl do not convince me to leave the 1520. So earlier this week, I sprung for a newly used 1520 (still in transit)! I'm looking forward to having a regular working 1520 once again. It's super annoying having to wait so long for the screen to flip to the correct orientation everytime you wake the phone.

Interestingly I notice that when I boot my phone, the first splash screen, Nokia, displays fine (right side up). Then it goes into the AT&T splash screen where it'll immediately start this upside down mode. It'll then boot into the live tiles start screen, still upside down, but after about 15 seconds it corrects itself and goes right side up. From this, I'm wondering if it's some type of software issue? So odd... And you're the first person that I've heard to share this same problem.

Good luck and I'll post here if I ever remedy this problem!

Michael Stukel

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi SmokenMarly - Thank you for the reply. I am experiencing the exact situation you have described. I also noticed that the Nokia logo has the correct orientation, but then the AT&T splash screen has an upside down orientation all the way through to the glance and tile screens. The only difference is that my orientation will switch over after about 5 - 6 seconds. Otherwise - I have the exact same experience you have described. I am thinking that something went wrong during the screen replacement process. My phone never did this before or even after the drop. This behavior stated after the screen was replaced. I think your approach of leveraging an alternate 1520 is a great way to go....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes