Glass protector/Tempered glass/flip cover- Are they NECESSARY?

Anjan Some

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Lumia 640Xl comes with Corning Gorilla Glass 3... Now, although it is scratch resistant, it is not shatter proof. So, is tempered glass a necessity?
Secondly, even though it is scratch resistant, should we really risk it, or is it better to have a screen protector?
Another very important consideration regarding tempered glass/screen protector is whether it will hamper the wonderful touch experience or not...

And thirdly, what purpose does a flip cover serve???

So, all in all, are these 3, or any one/two of these necessary??? Do share your views...

anon(9140902)

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I've got a screen protector on mine, I didn't have one on my 830 and there are scratches on the screen :(
I don't see any difference in the 'touch experience' now than I did without the screen protector.

the flip cover is just a case, there's nothing all that special about it.

Mogamy Cool

May 29, 2015
Visit site
Without screen protector, expect to get scratches.
For the flip cover, I saw a clip on YouTube showing the useless of getting it for 640xl.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Depends on how tolerant of scratches/cracks you are + how hard you are on phones I would think.

I would recommend a tempered glass protector though in case the thing falls.

A flip cover if you are more concerned with scratches when not in use.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
You don't have anything to lose with at least having a screen protector. I have read enough posts of people saying that they shattered their Lumia 640s (not the XL, but also comes with Gorilla Glass 3 as well, if I'm not mistaken). In my case, the touch barely even makes a difference with my Skinomi screen protector.

RichardTheKing

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
I have never used film protector but always use a flip case. the result for me using the flip case is quite impressive because no scratches on my phone. I use it on my 1320 for more than 1 year 1/2.

Perhaps this is also due to the fact than I am in UK and the weather is quite damp in the north (near Manchester), then less dust / sand in the atmosphere.

I have decided not to put any film protector on may 640 XL and to buy another flip case from china, it should arrive in 1 to 2 week:
Slim Folio PU Leather View Window Case Cover Stand for Microsoft Lumia 640XL.jpg

Slim Folio PU Leather View Window Case Cover Stand for Microsoft Lumia 640/640XL | eBay

For the moment I am using a home made microfibre than my mother has kindly sewn for me
WP_20150712_08_46_48_Pro.jpg

Anjan Some

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
You don't have anything to lose with at least having a screen protector. I have read enough posts of people saying that they shattered their Lumia 640s (not the XL, but also comes with Gorilla Glass 3 as well, if I'm not mistaken). In my case, the touch barely even makes a difference with my Skinomi screen protector.

Do you mean a screen protector, or a tempered glass? Because a screen protector(I think) will not protect the set from circumstances which may lead to its shattering...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Do you mean a screen protector, or a tempered glass? Because a screen protector(I think) will not protect the set from circumstances which may lead to its shattering...
I'm actually not sure what the difference is between the two (I'll have to look into it) but it really depends on the individual one since all are not created equal. That statement is meant for screen protectors, by the way.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

I'm actually not sure what the difference is between the two (I'll have to look into it) but it really depends on the individual one since all are not created equal. That statement is meant for screen protectors, by the way.

Tempered Glass is a TYPE of screen protector. There are also Film screen protectors. Film protectors have a tendency to make it harder to read in sunlight, get bubbles underneath, and they have to be replaced fairly often. Tempered Glass feels as good as or better than the original screen. If you've got a screen that is Gorilla Glass 3 with Oleophobic Coating, you won't notice a difference with the screen protector. If you don't have the oleophobic coating, then you'll notice an improvement on the feel of the screen.

I highly recommend getting a tempered glass protector if you have any type of compulsive issues where a scratch would drive you nuts. I got a scratch on my tempered glass protector, and I just bought a new tempered glass. Fixed! One scratch out of over a year of usage, not bad. I still don't know how it happened. It happened when my wife borrowed the phone.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
You are actually trying to decide between the merits traditional film or tempered glass screen protector. Tempered glass protectors try to emulate the original feel of the phone while adding an additional layer of protection to the device. Glass is smooth, easy to clean and does not usually have a negative affect on the phone operation. The problem with glass protectors is that they can be expensive, and with varying quality can shatter just as easily as the original screen. Also, many phone designs are going for more curves than usual, making the process of designing a protector that adheres to as much of the screen's surface as possible difficult.

I personally recommend a tempered glass screen protector for devices with flat screens and no curves. If your device has more rounded edges and a slight curve on the screen you are going to be better suited with a film protector as it will adhere to more of the screen surface. If the ZAGG protector from AT&T is the HDX kind, it's a very solid choice. I prefer the HDX over the standard film and glass from ZAGG.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I went into the Microsoft store the other day and got the PureGear roll on screen protector that they sell. Watching them apply it in store is almost worth the price ($20) alone. So for those that aren't familiar with this product, it is a regular screen protector (as in it's a film) and the application is done by putting the device in a plastic frame to have the film "rolled on" to the device. In theory it sounds like a way to get the film on without too many bubbles. In practice, it can be amusing just to watch store employees apply them off-center with a seemingly easy application. Still, if they screw up the application you will get a replacement on the spot for free. After about a day of use the adhesive has cured and the film is generally present without any bubbles or defects. It lends a bit of tack that I found on the ZAGG HDX and enjoyed. Now for some this may be overkill, but I went ahead and got the flip cover case as well. In total I probably spent $25 more than I should have. I seriously debated getting the cyan or orange color for the flip cover. Honestly I just want a colored shell for the 640 XL. I'm leaning towards Cyan but I can't find any in stock locally. And no, I don't want a flip cover necessarily otherwise I would have gotten it then.

DuncanF62

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I use an ATFolix protector on my 930 and will do so when I can get one for my 640XL. I changed the 930 protector (they give you three) a few weeks ago and there were noticeable scratches on it. Would they have been on the glass screen? Probably not, but for a few quid my screen is perfect and to ATFolix is not visible/does not interfere with gestures/smoothness etc.. I tried a few with varying success before settling on that brand. Some I tried have noticeable drag on the fingertips, others visibly affect the screen clarity.

Edit to add: if you try an ATFolix, go for the clear one, not the anti-reflective one.

rootytooty1

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
I have a 930 and bought a tempered glass that was supposed to fit with the slight curve on the edges. It is real good as far as feel goes, but it didn't conform to the 930 screen. If someone know of one that works please let me know. I have a Zagg protector now which is good but the glass works so well.

Fin-Tomi

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Got nothing... couple times actually dropped on floor, theres tiny 0.5mm bend on top left corner.

Like old classic Nokias this ones back cover and battery fly apart if you drop it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital