What's in a name? Naming of the 950 XL.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
This post is pretty much for fun, but since Daniel has been unable to confirm the naming scheme, I think it would be nice if Microsoft were considering names besides the 950?? numbering system.

So, according to the article by Daniel Rubino, it hasn't yet been decided whether it would be called 940 XL or 950 XL. Rumors call it both. Name finalization would be in September.

With that in mind, and considering the capabilities of the Cityman (which I'll just call it Cityman since that's the only sure name we know), I think Microsoft needs to consider getting away from Lumia and Lumia numbering all together on this. Why? Because Lumia is associated with the low and midrange spectrum only right now. When people think Lumia, most of them think, "What's a Lumia?", and the remainder of people think, "That's the budget phone that has a decent camera for the price."

There are rumors that "Surface Phone" will surface (pun intended) with the Intel chipset early next year. I think the Cityman should get the "Surface Mobile" brand now, and let the Intel version get the "Surface Pro Mobile" brand when it arrives. The pro should distinguish the ability to run desktop apps. Intel vs. Arm all over again.

So, what do you guys think of that idea? I certainly think the Surface brand will sell and be pushed by a carrier much better than the Lumia brand, because, as I stated, people either don't know what Lumia is or they think it's for low budget. The Surface brand is well respected as quality merchandise.

Opinions?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think you may have hit on something there, but have gone just a step too far...

Surface & Surface Pro. Plain and simple. Most know what that stands for.

But what about mid and low range? Still stick with Lumia but abandon the number scheme?

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure giving up the numbers is the way to go just yet. Number designations are still the identifiers of luxury products and easily identify what class a particular model is. But your idea isn't far away. 950 Surface sounds good to me. 9=Flagship 50=WP10 variant. The Intel variant 960. Or if you prefer Surface 950/960.
Another reason to stick with the current numbering system would be to erasure the Windows community that it's still alive. Lumia should stay as it is for the 4,5,6,7,8 series phones. Or what ever levels they settle on.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I think you may have hit on something there, but have gone just a step too far...

Surface & Surface Pro. Plain and simple. Most know what that stands for.

But what about mid and low range? Still stick with Lumia but abandon the number scheme?

Surface and Surface Pro are about the "Tablet that can replace your Laptop." Everyone knows that. I think by calling "Surface Mobile" and "Surface Pro Mobile", people will see a "Phone that can replace a tablet and laptop." This is only for the 950 XL Cityman that can handle the Surface Stylus. I'd like to see the Pro as the one with the Intel chip.

Or, I suppose we could do Talkman/Cityman as Surface Mobile and Surface Mobile XL, and do the Intel with Surface Pro Mobile and Surface Pro Mobile XL. Then, next year Surface Pro Mobile XL2, followed by XL3, etc.

I'm not sure giving up the numbers is the way to go just yet. Number designations are still the identifiers of luxury products and easily identify what class a particular model is. But your idea isn't far away. 950 Surface sounds good to me. 9=Flagship 50=WP10 variant. The Intel variant 960. Or if you prefer Surface 950/960.
Another reason to stick with the current numbering system would be to erasure the Windows community that it's still alive. Lumia should stay as it is for the 4,5,6,7,8 series phones. Or what ever levels they settle on.

I meant for getting rid of the numbering scheme for these flagships. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

Interesting idea. But 950 probably sounds best to people that already have a 900 series.

Most products that are successful have a letter or letter/number combination. "Galaxy S6" "G4" etc. Perhaps we could have a "Surface Z10" (for Windows 10?) I don't know. Just throwing out ideas.

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
It'll be fun to see what they come up with. Maybe we should start a pool.

I think the first people to jump on the new flagship will be the 900 series owners, along with the 1000 series. Those will be the people who will sell this phone. I'm sure they can't wait to blow their "S", "I" and "G" buddies out of the water. Lets just hope it does.

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Surface and Surface Pro are about the "Tablet that can replace your Laptop." Everyone knows that. I think by calling "Surface Mobile" and "Surface Pro Mobile", people will see a "Phone that can replace a tablet and laptop." This is only for the 950 XL Cityman that can handle the Surface Stylus. I'd like to see the Pro as the one with the Intel chip.

Or, I suppose we could do Talkman/Cityman as Surface Mobile and Surface Mobile XL, and do the Intel with Surface Pro Mobile and Surface Pro Mobile XL. Then, next year Surface Pro Mobile XL2, followed by XL3, etc.

I meant for getting rid of the numbering scheme for these flagships. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

Interesting idea. But 950 probably sounds best to people that already have a 900 series.

Most products that are successful have a letter or letter/number combination. "Galaxy S6" "G4" etc. Perhaps we could have a "Surface Z10" (for Windows 10?) I don't know. Just throwing out ideas.

Maybe we should start a pool.

I'm stuck on keeping the 900 line going.
I think about BMW an Mercedes way of identifying their models. No doubt what you're looking at with three simple numbers and a letter. May I throw out "Surface 950c" for Continuum and "Surface 950ci" for the Intel

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
How cool does "surface mobile" running "Windows mobile 10" sound? /s

IMO Microsoft should stick with the Lumia brand. And for God's sake only release the 950 and 950XL and its variants with the same model number/name. Not the 950 for AT&T and 951 for T-Mobile. In fact Microsoft should only release 2 variants (or 4 variants like the iPhone 6).

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad you added the '/s'! Microsoft need to either rebrand or don't make it even more complicated. The digits are model, generation, variant - so sticking the XL on the end makes it overly confusing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo