Is the Lumia warranty universal?

Eren68

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, I'm in the UK and just checked the Firmware on my 830, it's HK-000. Does the warranty still cover it in the UK?

I know my USA Surface was warrantied globally, just not sure about the phones. Am wondering if warrantied, would I void it by putting UK firmware on.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, that usually depends. Have you checked the box or the accompanying paperwork for information on warranty? For my L1020, for example, a sticker on the box specifically mentions that the warranty is valid only in the country where I bought the phone.

You may want to be certain about the status and validity of the warranty of your device first, either by checking the paperwork or box for any information, or by contacting @LumiaHelp (Twitter) regarding your query. Chances are that if you change the firmware in your device from one country to another they may detect it and void the warranty if you decide to claim the warranty later on.

Eren68

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi, thanks for replying. I purchased 2nd hand but mint, boxed, everything in English, only the Firmware and the set up language indicated it was from the China region. The warranty period on the phone is virtually a full warranty. A really nice phone.

I guess I can leave the firmware as is, because as I understand, there's no difference between regions.

I do know my son purchased a brand new Galaxy S6 from Value Basket online and his wasn't UK either. It also came with a travel adapter, whereas everything in AND on my 830 box is UK spec, so I'll take your advice and contact support to verify.

Thanks for your input :)

Eren68

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I've just done a warranty check via the Lumia Help & Tips app, and it says 'Out of Warranty', yet booking a hypothetical repair on the Microsoft UK repair page and entering the IMEI number, it tells me to ship the phone back to a UK center for warranty repair. Confused ! :sweaty:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I've just done a warranty check via the Lumia Help & Tips app, and it says 'Out of Warranty', yet booking a hypothetical repair on the Microsoft UK repair page and entering the IMEI number, it tells me to ship the phone back to a UK center for warranty repair. Confused ! :sweaty:

Something similar happened with my L1020 here in my country - checking the IMEI says that the phone isn't supported for warranty but then the service center honored the 12-month warranty period. My guess is that checking the IMEI directly through the app takes in reference the date of manufacture or delivery of the phone to the store which isn't necessarily the same as the date of purchase - the service center honors the 12-month warranty period starting from the date of purchase as indicated in the official receipt.

Eren68

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the feedback. I decided to return the phone and the seller was extremely gracious. To replace it, I've just ordered a lovely new white/gold 930 with a three year extended warranty. The 830 was a beautiful phone but I really wanted the warranty alongside it, and the 930 was such a steal given the extended warranty :)

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
That's great; the L930 in itself is already a great phone, but the extended warranty just makes the deal a lot better. That's three years, longer than the time most users hold on to their phones before deciding to get a "new" phone! Just make sure to keep a digital copy or photo of the receipt especially if it is of the thermal paper type (those things barely last three months). :cool:

So, I guess we'll be looking forward to some photos from your new phone in the L930 photos and videos thread soon? :wink:

Hope you'll enjoy your phone as much as our fellow L930 users have. Time permitting, make sure to drop by our L930 forums - there's got to be a thing or two in there that will be useful, if not entertaining, for you. :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon