No WP10 for Lumia 1520 ?

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I just read that the Lumia 1520 is not in the list of devices that get the new WP10. That sucks. I mean, come on, its the last real big thing of the Lumia Series, the last flagship. And MS dont offer WP10 for that ? You gotta be kidding me. One of the reasons I decided to get a 1520 was that I read it would get the WP10.

Really disappointed right now. :cry:

Already takes long enough before WP10 comes out anyways, and then those of us that really spent money on these devices, dont even get it then ? Microsoft sucks...

Really rethinking my switch from Android to WP now in the long run. I guess i rather keep my Note 4 then. Damn shame. I dont see why I pay for such an expensive phone, just to get the Updates last. And all these tiny little below 100 Euro devices get the Update right away.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The list shows which phones are getting it FIRST. That's all. You'll still get it.

It only makes sense that the latest phones get it first. I can't say how quickly you'll get W10 afterwards but you will get it.

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
But then where is WP better than Android in terms of getting updates ? Using Samsung phones over the last 6 years or so, the thing that really ***** me off was the fact that new Android versions took forever to get to these phones, or even if at all. Getting a new update, well, if you're lucky and your Samsung phone gets that at all, it maybe takes 8 - 10 months (until again there is already a newer Android version). Sure, one can use Custom Roms which I have, but I thought its time to switch to something where I can get updates when they come out. And I hoped I didnt had to go to Apple to get that. Now, after I bought the last Lumia flagship which, besides the 930, still has the best Hardware, is just left out of the Update list and "maybe" get it some day if I am lucky and wait.

One of the reasons that I wanted that phone, was next to its hardware and size the fact that I saw MS do a presentation on Youtube of WP10 on it and so it should be pretty clear that a phone like that then would be expected to get the new WP version after release, and not months after release. In that case I might as well get rid of the phone right now, before the new flagships come out and noone buys it anymore, and stick with Android.

As much as it saddens me.

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Officially you'll have to wait a few weeks for w10m. But...there will be ways to unofficially do it. What im saying is MS wants to make sure all devices possible have w10m

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
What im saying is MS wants to make sure all devices possible have w10m

With Android, when you have a flagship model the chance is best that your device gets an update and maybe even faster. But considering the 1520 is still the last flagship Model for Lumia, not counting the 930, it seems that gets just pushed aside so all these Low-End supermarket phones get the update first. Whats wrong with that picture ?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
With Android, when you have a flagship model the chance is best that your device gets an update and maybe even faster. But considering the 1520 is still the last flagship Model for Lumia, not counting the 930, it seems that gets just pushed aside so all these Low-End supermarket phones get the update first. Whats wrong with that picture ?

By the time W10 comes out for mobile along with the new flagships the 1520 will almost be 2 years old. The L930 (ignoring the Icon) was released July 2014.

So the list is simply showing the 'latest' phones getting W10 first. Nothing more. No need to be upset about it. The world of mobile and updates is messy.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thats not how I imagined it.

Wanting something and getting it are two different things. MS is just recognising the latest phones first. Every mobile manufacturer does the same thing.

Just because the 1520 is considered the 'best' in they eyes of many doesn't mean it deserves better treatment than those who bought newer phones regardless on how much they spent.

You're still getting the update. I don't see why you're complaining. There are many who bought Lumia phones and are not getting the official update because they've been discontinued.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Are you registered as an insider? If so, that might help you get it sooner. I have a 1520 also, and would agree that I would definitely prefer to get it right away.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Are you registered as an insider? If so, that might help you get it sooner. I have a 1520 also, and would agree that I would definitely prefer to get it right away.

Preference and reality are two different things. Going by the way W10 on PC is going I'm in no hurry for W10 mobile...

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
All phones at getting the update. The list shows which are FIRST (as stated before). The 1520 is my daily. When we get it we get it. Do I want it? Yes! Ask the ATT 830 guys about denim.... We get it when we get it. If yu can't wait, I'm sure android will be welcoming you with open arms.
I'd rather wait to get the update then never get it... Like moat of the Android devices my family has stuck on 4.4 or earlier

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Gee thanks, I didn't know that there was a difference between the two. I'm so glad that you took the time to state that twice in the same thread.
You know, just in case you missed it the first time. :)

I personally felt sarcasm was needed for this thread because the whine was over the top. It's an update. Want it sooner? Use the insider program.

Ignorance, there is a cure.

hyedefinition

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Just want to add. You can download the OS the week it is announced. This will be basically a developer preview and since Lumia Denim firmware upgrade has maximized the 1520's potential, you won't be missing out on features like surround recording, camera improvements, etc.

So, just download the dev preview and you can upgrade officially when W10 comes out for the 1520. ;)

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
OP is going a little OTT on the updates. My wife and i both have 1520's mine with W10P and hers still on W8. The 1520 will get the update and you wont have to wait 8 months after initial release to get it. Like others suggested join the insider program and you could have W10. I use it as my daily driver.

cane prevost1

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Once windows 10 is released for phones will there be any difference in the version that people get via insider program and the official released version? If no, then why doesn't everyone who has a 1520 just join insider program and get 10 that way when it is released?

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Once windows 10 is released for phones will there be any difference in the version that people get via insider program and the official released version? If no, then why doesn't everyone who has a 1520 just join insider program and get 10 that way when it is released?

I didn't do insider on PC but I believe insiders had it first. Then the official rollout happened. Alot of people were asking why they didn't get it, and most were told they already had it from insider. So I assume (key word) that insiders may get it earlier.

Last edited:

honda accord 99

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Really i downloaded it today by windows insider and its fantastic, but still not the final release and has some issues like touch, buttons and wifi connection.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
OP is going a little OTT on the updates. My wife and i both have 1520's mine with W10P and hers still on W8. The 1520 will get the update and you wont have to wait 8 months after initial release to get it. Like others suggested join the insider program and you could have W10. I use it as my daily driver.

That's interesting I've been thinking about getting on board on my 1520. Could you tell me what if any of your major issues have been? Are you on ATT?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon