Double Tap To Wake Weirdness

tharrison4815

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed that double tap to wake doesn't work when the phone is laying flat on a surface? I have to pick it up and hold it at about 45 degrees before it works. Is there any way to change it so it always works?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed that double tap to wake doesn't work when the phone is laying flat on a surface? I have to pick it up and hold it at about 45 degrees before it works. Is there any way to change it so it always works?

I have heard a great tip about this. Always tap near the bottom of the screen and it will work a lot more.

tharrison4815

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I have heard a great tip about this. Always tap near the bottom of the screen and it will work a lot more.
Unfortunately it's still not working for me at the bottom. To be fair I'm still on 8.1 so maybe they changed this in Windows 10.

If my 640 is lying on a flat level surface like my desk then no matter where I press it how many times I try pressing it just doesn't do anything. But then I pick it up and double tap and it works straight away.

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

i have Lumia 640 and it works fine. May be u just swipe hand over the Proximity sensor and then double tap. I had tried this and worked.

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I've posted about this before. No matter what I do, no matter where I tap, no matter if I hold the phone or it's set down flat, I have about a 50% or less success rate on first double tap. And often it takes three or four attempts and sometimes doesn't work at all.

Zardoch

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
I've posted about this before. No matter what I do, no matter where I tap, no matter if I hold the phone or it's set down flat, I have about a 50% or less success rate on first double tap. And often it takes three or four attempts and sometimes doesn't work at all.

Personally I've made it a habit to always triple tap. That's a procedure that never fails (L930).

tharrison4815

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I think I've worked out that when my phone was on my desk (on the keyboard tray thing) the top of the phone (where the proximity sensor is) was just underneath the top part of the desk and so it was preventing the screen from coming on when double tapping.

My bad :)

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I double tap towards the bottom of my 640 and it works like a charm. Even while laying flat on my desk at work, double tap wakes up my phone.

I have a few suggestions - these may help others

1. Keep a clean screen - I've noticed smudges can have a negative effect on the responsiveness.
2. Click just to the right of where the clock is in Glance for more accurate double tap captures.
3. Try changing up your tap speed and you will also get better results.

I've had both the 640 and 640 XL. I think the 640 XL responded better to double tap (seemed a tad faster overall) but once you apply some of those approaches you will get more out of your device. I have found that screen protectors do not inhibit the double tap feature and may even help you be more accurate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon