Speaker no longer works

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
If anyone's chronicled by adventures with the Lumia 830 dating back to late last year, you'll know I've simply had terrible luck with this phone (the handful of actual 830s I've had). In hindsight, at least one was probably fine, as the 2-3 times daily reboots ended up being a software issue.

Well, this is probably hardware-related :(. Yesterday while talking on the phone using speakerphone, I suddenly couldn't hear the other end. But the regular ear mic was working fine.

I tried rebooting the phone. Nothing. I tried a soft reset, nothing. Then, it turns out that for the 2nd time in two weeks (due to a different issue), I had to hard reset the phone.

It appeared that the hard reset worked, although my speaker sounded a lot more distorted than before. And then, just a few minutes ago, the speaker went out again. A restart and soft reboot hasn't worked.

Is sending it into the Microsoft Store for repair my only option? I have a feeling they'll just hard reset, only for the issue to come again.

I also don't have a backup phone, though I suppose I can find a T-Mobile Lumia 535 temporarily.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I had something similar happen when the vibrating motor failed. MS denied the repair for the first time citing liquid damage when there was none along with damaging the screen where it was loosely held to the metal bezel. Eventually I reached out to the chat support and they replaced the phone for free (second RM-985 yeeee) and also gave me an extra white back. In fact the lady over the chat gave me an option to switch to the dark grey model when asked.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I had something similar happen when the vibrating motor failed. MS denied the repair for the first time citing liquid damage when there was none along with damaging the screen where it was loosely held to the metal bezel. Eventually I reached out to the chat support and they replaced the phone for free (second RM-985 yeeee) and also gave me an extra white back. In fact the lady over the chat gave me an option to switch to the dark grey model when asked.

Interesting. So would you recommend I reach out to chat support or simply bring it into my local Microsoft Store?

Also, would you recommend I hard reset before sending it in or just sign out of accounts and protect any sensitive info?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I've taken apart and replaced about everything in an 830. In fact, doing a few more today. It's pretty easy to replace the loud speaker.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
the ear speaker on mine stopped working .

On this phone, this is typically not the speaker itself. On the midframe, right behind where the printed IMEI/model number info is, there is ribbon cable with a few electrical components on it. Usually, if you replace that ribbon cable, you fix the problem. The only issue is that the cable can be hard to find.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. I don't know if I'd want to risk voiding the warranty. Have you tried it before or know anyone that has?

I'm not sure how the warranty voids? There aren't any warranty stickers or anything to remove. Of course, I'm not sure that's completely your problem either.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. So would you recommend I reach out to chat support or simply bring it into my local Microsoft Store?

Also, would you recommend I hard reset before sending it in or just sign out of accounts and protect any sensitive info?
You can take it to your local Microsoft store but I hardly doubt they'll entertain unless you bought the device from them. Plus I was told by support that they don't do repairs at stores so you'll need to send the device to their Texas facility regardless. If you're sending your device then reset it before sending. Microsoft would send you the shipping UPS label after you either reach out to their chat support or the warranty support site. I would recommend checking with their chat first.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Filed a repair request Friday night, they got back to me this morning and sent a shipping label. Sent it off for repair today. We'll see what happens.

In the meantime, back to my trusty Lumia 920, but with a partially shattered display thanks to my father's negligence :crying:

cqgsp

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem with my handset ,music suddenly stopped and volume disappeared .Tried a soft reset a few times to no avail and finally did a factory reset .This did not work either ,until I connected the phone to the computer and for some reason it worked shortly after ,very frustrating .I suspect that a music player app downloaded from the app store may have been the cause.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem with my handset ,music suddenly stopped and volume disappeared .Tried a soft reset a few times to no avail and finally did a factory reset .This did not work either ,until I connected the phone to the computer and for some reason it worked shortly after ,very frustrating .I suspect that a music player app downloaded from the app store may have been the cause.

Interesting. I've only used the native Music app for music. I also tried a hard reset without restoring any backups or even entering my MS ID, and it still wasn't working. I suspect it's hardware related but who knows?

My device arrived at the repair center this morning. We'll see what happens.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Er, does this mean they're returning it without having replaced the speaker? :eck:I don't see any part replacements as part of the work they did on the phone...

repair.jpg

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Wait till you get your phone back. Looks like they did repair it and then perform the checks which passed. The wording is kinda confusing. Its similar to what I was emailed after my 1520's screen was replaced. I was freaking out because it would have been the second time my phone would be returned. I reached out to the chat support and after a 30 min wait I was told that the screen was replaced though the repair log did not mention it. I verified it by checking the AT&T logo on the panel and it was indeed replaced.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Wait till you get your phone back. Looks like they did repair it and then perform the checks which passed. The wording is kinda confusing. Its similar to what I was emailed after my 1520's screen was replaced. I was freaking out because it would have been the second time my phone would be returned. I reached out to the chat support and after a 30 min wait I was told that the screen was replaced though the repair log did not mention it. I verified it by checking the AT&T logo on the panel and it was indeed replaced.

Alright thanks. That's exactly what had me worried... read a handful of stories on the forums about devices being returned without repair despite the defects being obvious.

Looks like they overnighted it, so I should know by tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes