About frame rates when shooting a video

melodia

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi there. Couldn't find similar thread so here we go..

I'm interested about video shooting with Lumia 950(/XL) and i'm really waiting for more info about video frame rates. Microsoft's site gives no higher video frame rate than 30fps but i think i saw 60fps in the video from the launch event where Juha Alakarhu demoed the camera (or somewhere else). Is it possible? What about 120fps? Is there a chance?

melodia

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Ok, thanks. Some sites talk about 30/60/120 and MS's own site gives that 30, so I'm bit confused here. Wasn't it something like W10M build 10158 where 120fps was enabled? I remember some screen shots about it..

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Yep, it does record 1080p 60fps and 4k at 30fps.
Taking in context the above two facts, 720p at 120fps is possible, it might come overtime via software update (just like 4k on the lumia 930).
But out of the box it most certainly won't have this function.

melodia

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Yep, it does record 1080p 60fps and 4k at 30fps.
Taking in context the above two facts, 720p at 120fps is possible, it might come overtime via software update (just like 4k on the lumia 930).
But out of the box it most certainly won't have this function.

This is pretty much what I've been guessing by myself. Ok, let's keep on waiting for the phones with 60fps and hopefully we'll have that 120fps later.

Thanks folks!

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
This is pretty much what I've been guessing by myself. Ok, let's keep on waiting for the phones with 60fps and hopefully we'll have that 120fps later.
While I would like everyone to have whatever frame rate they want, I personally wouldn't want higher frame rates if it added more than a few cents to the price of a phone. 30FPS is fine for anything but converting something to slow motion. Motion pictures have been 24 FPS for decades and just recently have a few been shot at 48. I don't remember thinking any of them looked bad at 24. So until I want to do some slow mo post processing (don't hold your breath), I can't get too excited about anything more than 30.

melodia

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
While I would like everyone to have whatever frame rate they want, I personally wouldn't want higher frame rates if it added more than a few cents to the price of a phone. 30FPS is fine for anything but converting something to slow motion. Motion pictures have been 24 FPS for decades and just recently have a few been shot at 48. I don't remember thinking any of them looked bad at 24. So until I want to do some slow mo post processing (don't hold your breath), I can't get too excited about anything more than 30.
Sure thing! There's no need to go over 30fps for shooting a video but the reason I'm looking for more fps are the slow mos.

Price is already going to be pretty much what have been announced so we can get 30/60(/120) with that.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Sure thing! There's no need to go over 30fps for shooting a video but the reason I'm looking for more fps are the slow mos
Anyone know what the hardware is capable of? If it can do 120 or above maybe it will come later like 4K video by the 1520s. I'm thinking pen use may be like that. There was early talk about it so maybe its not there initially because the software would have pushed the release date into 2016.

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
yeah, it's going to be really interesting to see what's possible. I was actually stunned when watching the hands on video at the MS event that the video settings didn't include a 120fps (let alone a 240 fps) option. It will be disappointing if there are no slow-mo options upon release.

Everything, and I mean everything, about these handsets suggests that they misaligned the hardware release date with the software release date. Now consumers/enthusiasts are hanging around waiting on hardware that's ready (but getting older by the minute) and software that isn't.

I came so close to buying a Moto X Pure, then I came close to buying a Nexus 6P. I'm beginning to wonder if I made the wrong decision by waiting for the 950XL (whenever it ends up releasing).

DuoWing

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
One thing I'm curious about is if there will be any camera differences between the 950 and the XL. Google claims some things were taken out of the 5X due to the 808 vs the 810 in the 6P, but that could just be Google and trying to differentiate the high and low ends. Supposedly the 810 does have better imaging capabilities, but I really do hope that there won't be a difference between the two.

Nopea

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
The new feature is awesome BUT the next thing they need to add is that devices will record sounds too but in options you could play it with sound or without sound.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon