Lumia 950 fails to connect to WiFi while Bluetooth is enabled

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have recently got my Lumia 950 in Australia and have some issues, the third issue is below:

If I have Bluetooth enabled, the phone fails to connect to WiFi. It sees the SSIDs and tries to connect but fails.

If I turn Bluetooth off, the WiFi connects and the connection is stable.

If I turn Bluetooth back on, the WiFi takes a few seconds, before it goes back to alternating between Available and Connecting, but does not connect.

I know that WiFi and Bluetooth use similar frequencies, but I have never had this issue with any of my previous Windows Phones (HTC Mozart 7, Lumia 800, Lumia 925).

I use Bluetooth to connect to my Microsoft Band and headsets and my car and so it is not acceptable not have it enabled.

Please help...

I have restarted the phone a number of times. It took some testing to identify the issue, but I have not been able to get past this.

Model: Microsoft Lumia 950

Version: 1511

OS Build: 10.0.10586.29

Firmware: 01078.00017.15452.59008

Hardware: 2.1.1.2

David Musgrave

Microsoft Business Solutions MVP

Davetyp

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I've got exactly the same problem. I am on build 36. Also no solution yet. Been searching for that issue and found some other forums with quite long threads, but they're also stuck at that point.

Wim Ensing

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I am also experiencing the problem with my Lumia 950: when bluetooth is enabled, wifi will stop working within a couple of minutes. When I then disable bluetooth, the wifi connection comes back.
This is also shown by a ping command. No reply anymore when wifi stops, and the reply is instantly back when bluetooth is disabled.

I have removed my sim card and a first test shows that the problem is then not present.
Also with the sim card inserted but not enabled (no pin entered) the problem is also not present.
In both cases I can listen for a long time (as it should be) to streaming music over wifi, with my bluetooth headset. The ping command also shows a steady reply, with an occasionaly "request timed out".
And additionaly: when I enter the pin for the sim card, the problem is present again.

Anyone with further suggestions to analyse things?

Last edited:

Wim Ensing

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Airplane mode doesn't work for this, I've tried...
The sim card is still enabled in the background somehow. You don't need to re-enter your pin when you leave airplane mode.
So my guess it only disables the GSM and data connecting to the carrier, but it is leaving the sim card "loaded" in some proces which is interfering with the bluethooth and wifi processes.

Wim Ensing

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Another test I have done: removed my Vodafone NL sim card (4G) and placed a Simyo sim card (KPN network, 3G).
Bluetooth on, wifi on, streaming audio, it just works...

Can it be provider specific? Or can 4G vs 3G make the difference? Or is the NFC chip in the Vodafone NL sim card in play?
Testing, testing, testing....

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
The only change I've found that helps without physically removing the SIM is changing my home WiFi 5GHz N band to 20Hz only, no 40Hz. Others in the community thread I've linked to above have had some success physically removing SIM, disabling it in the settings or switching carriers. I really hope MS acknowledges this. Battery life is terrible on my device... Maybe it's related to the radio steak and firmware could fix it but MS needs to someone there problem. Please upvote in the windows Insider feedback.

Wim Ensing

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
At home I don't have 5 GHz wifi. My device connects normally when coming near a known wifi network. My only issue is that wifi fails when bluetooth is on. I will provide feedback to Microsoft.

fly_branch

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Update for me - instead of returning 950 via At&t, I went to Microsoft store and they took it back at full price, gave me the 950XL, and the free 950. Now I have two new unlocked dual sim phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon