Longtime Verizon Windows Phone customer...

rkiels

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I've been a faithful Windows phone user since the beginning. I had an HTC Trophy at launch, then upgraded to a L822 and am currently using an Icon which I've had since launch. The only smartphone I had previous to the Trophy was a BB Bold. I'm dangerously close to jumping ship and getting an iPhone and I'm incredibly distressed by this. More background: I am typing this on my Surface 3 while my Band 2 is tracking my heartrate. The funny thing is, an iPhone will work pretty great with those things even though I'm firmly entrenched in the Microsoft ecosystem. I've never owned a product out of Cupertino, including iPods. I have owned a couple Zunes though. Yes, I'm rambling, but only to illustrate a point. Despite all this MS love that flows through me, my best option seems to be an iPhone. My Icon is dying and switching from Verizon is not an option. I refuse to touch a Google OS. SOMEBODY TALK ME OUT OF SWITCHING! I'M A DESPERATE MAN!!!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If a downgrade or replacement Icon is undesirable, it's worth trying an iPhone. They hold their value well and could hold you over.
I could help you stick all the MS bits you'll need anyway into that phone, having done that last year. (I'm trying an Android phone ATM though)

dazorange

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I totally feel your pain and can't blame you at all. We have a similar history. My phones were Samsung Omnia (with WP6), Trophy, 928, Icon.

If my Icon was dying I'd probably start looking at the iPhone as well. With Android I'd only be willing to go with nexus and since that is not an option on Verizon, iPhone seems like the only choice. I simply have not seen any indication that Microsoft will have any flagship devices on Vz.

Don't feel bad. Enjoy having access to any app you wish and if Microsoft gets their 💩 together you can always come back.

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Similar boat here. Palm Pre, Trophy, 822, 928, now Icon.

I picked up a nearly new Icon on Ebay for less than $200 about 9 months ago. I upgraded recently to W10Mobile, so it feels like a fresh, new phone all over again. A few minor glitches, but I'm working through them.

I tried Android before getting the Icon and couldn't stand that mess of an OS. My wife is an avid iPhone user and I support a lot of iPhones in my work, but have a hard time finding anything on those phones. And the OS is so darn boring! The iPhone 6 is a beautiful piece of hardware though, and very tempting.

But I'm standing pat hoping that 2016 is a new year for WP on Verizon.

Hey, I hung on to my Palm Pre until the very end too!

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I totally feel your pain and can't blame you at all. We have a similar history. My phones were Samsung Omnia (with WP6), Trophy, 928, Icon.

If my Icon was dying I'd probably start looking at the iPhone as well. With Android I'd only be willing to go with nexus and since that is not an option on Verizon, iPhone seems like the only choice. I simply have not seen any indication that Microsoft will have any flagship devices on Vz.

Don't feel bad. Enjoy having access to any app you wish and if Microsoft gets their �� together you can always come back.

I recently got a new Nexus 6 for just under $250. Very much enjoying it with current android 6.01. For that price and beautiful screen......I gave up on a great camera in my Lumia Icon....but well worth it to run naked android with nova launcher and the highly optimized marshmallow on this device.

If they made this phone in a 5.2 variant with current tech camera.....it would sell like no ones business now-a-days!

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I've been with Verizon since 2008 (I jumped from Sprint). I've had a Blackberry Curve, Storm 2, Samsung Fascinate, Galaxy Nexus, Note 2, Lumia 928, Lumia Icon, HTC One M9, and now....wait for it... iPhone 6s Plus.

I made the mistake of going back to Android for 3 months and although the M9 has great specs...it's not a great phone. All of the HTC modifications to Android just made the phone a mess.

Why did I jump to the dark side? Because Microsoft let me down by not releasing the 950/950XL with CDMA. I love Window Mobile OS. It's just that I needed a reliable phone with the apps I need (and no I'm not talking about Snapchat). What will bring me back to Window Mobile? One that works on Verizon, because I'm not going to swap carriers just because of a device. And, if Microsoft can crack the app availability code. I think as Windows 10 Mobile matures, that will happen. For right now though, I'm an iPhone user. I've also learned that Apple and Microsoft devices work fairly well together (I have an SP3 and HP desktop), but Android and Microsoft not so much...

Do I miss the customization capabilities of W10M or WP8.1? Yes. As well as Miracast and excellent camera? Yes. I hopefully won't have to be an iPhone user for too long. One thing I am certain is that I am NOT going back to Android again.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I cracked the screen on my icon.. Checked on replacement parts. The price of the parts and labor is more than I can buy a icon off eBay for. If Verizon does not pick up at least the equivalent of the icon for a windows phone I'll purchase another off eBay. I ain't jumping ship, I like my icon and win 10 mobile.. Leaving Verizon service is not an option for me either.

rkiels

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Well it happened just after lunch yesterday, so let's say I've been an iPhone user for a day and a half. It's certainly taking some getting used to, but I don't hate it. My story is similar to many of yours, and an iPhone was chosen because of Microsoft's and Apple's friendly(ish) relationship. What do I miss? Oh man, LIVE TILES! As said above, this OS is BORING. I also had a hard time understanding the settings and I'm convinced that there's some that just aren't in there that I've grown used to. I also miss the back button. Muscle memory is a helluva thing. That said, oh my goodness about the apps! Before some of y'all poo poo me, I honestly had no idea what I was missing! The overall polish of the OS, despite it's boringness, is also real nice and something I've missed since upgrading to W10M. It's nice and I love it, it's just not quite there yet as I think most of you will agree. I'd say my first venture into anything Apple related (except that one time many years ago when you could get Safari on PC and I wanted to check it out) has been a success. If MS and VZW ever get on good terms and the Universal Apps are as successful as we all hope, I'll be back.

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I cracked the screen on my icon.. Checked on replacement parts. The price of the parts and labor is more than I can buy a icon off eBay for. If Verizon does not pick up at least the equivalent of the icon for a windows phone I'll purchase another off eBay. I ain't jumping ship, I like my icon and win 10 mobile.. Leaving Verizon service is not an option for me either.
This is where I'm at. The Icon is fast and has a good camera and great screen. I can live with it for a while yet. I'm not leaving VZ for a phone. If I reach a point where I need to, I'll probably find a phone that I can put Cyanogenmod on, and keep GAPPS off of it (replace it with Amazon App Store and third party services).

It's not ideal and I hope it does not come down to that though.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I've been with Verizon since my first flip phone from back in the 90s. Currently on an M8 and when the day come when I need a new phone I will pick up something used or leaving Verizon.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This has me too. My Work wants me to get a cell phone and, I can pick anything from Verizon. I want a new 950XL but, of course there is no Verizon model. I keep blowing it off but, I am going to just pick something, Might be between a iPhone 6s or a LG V10.... nothing is worthy in WP on Verizon right now, No Windows 10 mobile devices...

Of course my work has very 2-3 very popular apps (in my area), but, no apps for Windows Phone (I work for a major TV station in my state)

Sigh, wish Verizon would get their crap together...

Karen DeGregory

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I was with Verizon for 12 years and moved all 5 of my lines over to att last year due to Verizon's lack of support for windows phone (actually down right hostility). I have never been happier. I wouldn't hesitate to leave Verizon if I were you.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Sigh, wish Verizon would get their crap together...

Verizon WILL get their crap together once (and if) people start leaving because they want a Windows phone. I understand that in the scheme of things those numbers are small, but, the numbers are large enough Verizon will notice. I'm stubborn and it just irks me that I'm a customer of Verizon and they are not giving me something I want (when they use to offer it). So, instead of settling for something they want me to have, I'll look elsewhere. I wish others would do so also.

Its no different than Microsoft taking away placeholders on Onedrive. It was working perfectly fine and they take them away. Being the stubborn dude I am, I've moved on and looking elsewhere.

So, once my contract is up and if I need a new phone, see ya Verizon.

Sent from my Surface 3

merlot2k1

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm moving back to Android - just purchased a Nexus 5X. I plan to use it on Verizon until my contract expires in Sept., then make use of my Project Fi invite and enjoy low cost cell service. Having the Nexus as my daily driver, I'll probably retry Windows 10 on the Icon and use it strictly as a wifi device.

ADufresne

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
I am making the very similar move - Nexus 5X for myself + SO. We'll both use them on Verizon until contract expiration in May and then we'll hop over and trial Project Fi. The three paths from there are:
  1. Stay on Project Fi if the service is reliable
  2. Bring the 5X's back to Verizon if the service is unreliable
  3. Come back to a new flagship-level Windows Phone offered on Verizon

(I'm not optimistic #3 is going to come to pass)

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Was on my 4th Microsoft smart phone when first Iphone came out. Using ATIV-SE with WM10 insider hack. It has been fun actually. My wife has ICON running W8.1. Thinking about upgrading her on the insider program but not in a hurry in case it is not stable yet. I would have got the 950 for my wife and the XL for me if they would have done CDMA with Verizon. My Wife and I love Windows Phone. Nearest AT&T tower is 35 miles away so wont be leaving Verizon. If Microsoft's next try does not include Verizon It will sure be disappointing. Truly hate to think about what to do then.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
To anyone else thinking about it, Switch. Why wonder what the competition is like when you can buy a used iPhone and resell it 6 months later at the same price if you don't like it. There is no risk, and the worst that would happen is you realize iOS was the phone you always wanted and you wasted years of your life on WP. Not the case for me, I hate my new traitor phone and use it to stalk windowscentral, waiting patiently for the day the Surface Phone is announced for Verizon. ��

dazorange

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Well I finally made a jump off Windows. I still love my Icon but I wanted to make some extra money driving Uber and Lyft and as you know that's not an option. I bought a used but refurbished S5 for about $150 and have to say that while it feels cheap, it's a pretty good phone. The screen is very nice. I was blown away by the fact that it just looks better than Icon. And the phone is quick and snappy. As worried as I was about getting an older Android I'm pleasantly surprised. It also works well with my Band. No issues there, except that I can't reply to texts, which I didn't really do before either. Anyway, I'm enjoying Android so far even though I do miss the live tile a bit. It's nice to know that if I need an app I can just download it instead of having to figure out a way around or find a substitute.
I'll miss you windows community and maybe I'll be back someday.

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Well I finally made a jump off Windows. I still love my Icon but I wanted to make some extra money driving Uber and Lyft and as you know that's not an option. I bought a used but refurbished S5 for about $150 and have to say that while it feels cheap, it's a pretty good phone. The screen is very nice. I was blown away by the fact that it just looks better than Icon. And the phone is quick and snappy. As worried as I was about getting an older Android I'm pleasantly surprised. It also works well with my Band. No issues there, except that I can't reply to texts, which I didn't really do before either. Anyway, I'm enjoying Android so far even though I do miss the live tile a bit. It's nice to know that if I need an app I can just download it instead of having to figure out a way around or find a substitute.
I'll miss you windows community and maybe I'll be back someday.

Thanks for the update and good luck with the new platform. I am hanging on by the skin of my teeth. Hoping for a Verizon solution before I have to give up on windows.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm eyeing a Nexus or iPhone 6 because of the dropped support for the Icon through the Inside Program. I am on Straight Talk Verizon, so I never cared about carrier support (which Verizon never offered anyway), but I did care about receiving updates from Microsoft through the Insider Program. Now that they won't push anymore updates to the "old" phones I'm finally ready to jump ship after sticking up for Microsoft for so long (even though the Icon is the same as the 930...). Just makes no sense that they would just crap on the Insider community and not even push builds anymore for phones that have capable specs...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills